Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replace hard fuel line with rubber?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Replace hard fuel line with rubber?

Doing a 3.4 swap on my rig and broke the fuel high pressure hard line off at the tank. Was thinking I could cut the remaining line past the rusted area and hook up a rubber gas line to the 3.4.

Would I be better off to put on a compression fitting and continue running hard line?
Would a rubber line work/hold? Has anyone replaced their broken hard line with rubber and were there any issues?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
A very interesting idea.....but if your metal line is that rusted and you can afford 15 foot of Fuel injector hose then I say do it. I think real FI hose runs about $4 a foot. Do not use regular gas hose designed for carb vehicles. It will burst in a few weeks.

ps---I did something of the sort with a Samurai I used to have....I lowered the gastank to work on something and decided to cut off the fancy high pressure fitting. I used about 2 feet of FI hose and double clamped it on with special hose clamps designed exactly for this application. Worked great. I did that in about 1995.....I sold it in 1997....Today, I saw that same Sami in the parking lot where I work and had to touch it to talk to it. I bet it still has that 2 foot of FI hose there.

Last edited by ZUK; 11-04-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on what Zuk said!

I installed a BMW anti drainback valve when I had my 97 Cherokee and had to use FI hose, and yes it is expensive, I thought I only need a foot, but bought 2 feet and glad I did, I didn't messure it right, and double clamped both ends and the guy who bought it is still driving it and no problems 7 years later...Trick is to make sure all 4 clamps are tight but not too tight, damage outer part of the hose makes it weaker I was told on jeep forum...
Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Yep, I did it on an old FI subaru of mine. There's about 3' of exposed hardline in the back, and the return one rusted out on me. So I cut it off at both ends, and slipped some rubber FI hose on there, and clamped it down. Done! That was about 6 or 7 years ago, and it still gets occasional use without any trouble.

If it were the high-pressure line, I'd probably get a compression-to-hose barb adapter, but the return side should be fine without the barb.

And yes, FI hose, and there is such a thing as too tight with a hose-clamp.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, x4 on what Zuk said. I did it on my 88 4Runner at the pickup on the tank when the hard line near the tank developed a pin hole. I checked the other parts of the line and it was getting pretty rusty. So I cut it all out and ran about 8 feet or so of fuel injection line from NAPA (or....pick your brand of poison) and used the fuel injection hose clamps also. Doubled clamped them as Zuk did. I also covered the hose in cable loom to protect it from chafing and cabled tied it to the underside of the truck. I can't remember the size but it was a tight fit over the original steel fuel line. I also can't remember if it was the feed line or the return. I could check when I get a chance. My cousin also did it in his 90 4Runner also with no problems. Like numbchux said you could get a compression fitting with the barb adapter on it if it makes you feel better. But you'd probably be set with just the hose to a solid section of hard line. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:26 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Innocent Fool
Doing a 3.4 swap on my rig and broke the fuel high pressure hard line off at the tank. Was thinking I could cut the remaining line past the rusted area and hook up a rubber gas line to the 3.4.

Would I be better off to put on a compression fitting and continue running hard line?
Would a rubber line work/hold? Has anyone replaced their broken hard line with rubber and were there any issues?
I'm even gonna use these fuel injection clamps on my air hose barbs that are on my front and rear bumpers. Not impressed with regular hose clamps as I can bend the hose and hear an air leak...and this is with the wide style clamps as tight as I dare crank them without stripping the tracks out

These came from Autozone...I'm sure there are better quality looking clamps out there also but these were right around the corner from me.
Name:  PB130114-1.jpg
Views: 4132
Size:  56.7 KB

Fuel injection clamps apply a more even pressure all the way around the hose.
Name:  PB130115.jpg
Views: 4180
Size:  62.6 KB

Last edited by ZUK; 11-13-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You could call Jegs and get -4 nylon braided line. More than adaquate for FI systems and its rust free!

I have -6 and its too big for the standard line so I use two clamps the get it to seal.