Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

repaint my truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
repaint my truck

I was just planning to repaint my truck.. the thing is I want to do it my self. I had some rust and holes that I bondoded up and I was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions... How muchpaint will I need. What do I sand and anything else that could help. Al help is greatly appreciated... Thank you.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:44 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check this out, works really well and is pretty easy:

http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx
Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 PM

i would like to know to cuz i want to repaint my truck and get rid of some of the trust
Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been doing body work on my truck for the past couple of months... Dent pulling, bondo, primer, etc...

After the bondo cured, I used 80 grit sand paper and an orbital sander (makes life way easier, btw) to get the bondo in plane with the body. I then used 220 grit for fine sanding the bondo. It worked pretty good.

For the parts of the body that needed no work, I used the 220 and an orbital sander to get through the clear coat. You only need to sand all the way to the metal on the spots that you are bondoing.

After that, came the wet sanding by hand. I cannot remember what grit I was using, but it was obviously very fine. Shark skin is what my dad was calling it.

After all that, I used duplicolor gray sandable primer.

I still have a lot of work to do. My bed is pretty messed up in spots, beyond what bondo can fix but it looks a lot better than it did.

I really which I had before/after pics.

7 or 8 cans of primer should do you fine, depending on how many coats you want to do.

I'm just trying to do as much of the body work on my own that i can so I can lessen my bill at the body shop.

Have fun.

Also, get an orbital sander. Preferably air-powered.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:58 PM

i want spray paint my car I dont really like that whole roll on method. I want to do the whole job with spray. m gonna paint my car flt black and primer grey or some flet grey
Old 07-13-2008, 08:12 PM

Please don't spray paint your truck. A few friends and I completely sanded, preped and spray painted a Nissan 300z. From a distance it looked like a real professional job. Up close it looked like (no offense) a ghetto mexican's weekend drunken party job. Even after doing everything right and being extra carefull, it still looked bad. If youre going to do it, do it right the first time. Its not that hard. Do all the prep work and use a pro grade air powered paint gun. Thats the only way.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 PM

my trucks spraypainted, only because the camo paint is easy to touch up, leaves no differences in coat thickness, and its just going to get scraped and smashed off anyways. if its a beater/trail truck do what you want, but if you want it to look like a real paintjob dont rattlecan it.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're probably best to do most of the bodywork yourself, then find a cheap chain shop to shoot you a single stage paint, or ask if you supply better quality paint would they shoot a base/clearcoat on it.

Remember, the outcome is largely determined by the amount of prep work you do. A $10 000 paint job will look like crap if you shoot it over poor body work.

You might even find a DIY shop that will allow you to use their equipment for a fee to shoot your own paint. We have one of those here in my city.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by GLT-4-6
Please don't spray paint your truck. A few friends and I completely sanded, preped and spray painted a Nissan 300z. From a distance it looked like a real professional job. Up close it looked like (no offense) a ghetto mexican's weekend drunken party job. Even after doing everything right and being extra carefull, it still looked bad. If youre going to do it, do it right the first time. Its not that hard. Do all the prep work and use a pro grade air powered paint gun. Thats the only way.

BAH! I've seen many nice spray paint jobs....prep is key (like with any paint job) and just control the over spray....

sand the clear coat down, go to wal mart and get some paint and have at it
Old 07-14-2008, 04:13 PM

A god cheap way to go is tractor paint from Tractor Supply. I did my bajabug last year with less than a gallon. 1 gallon and some hardener was like 60 bucks. Its easy to mix and spray,and quite a few colors. Here is my bug, I did it in the driveway. I already had it primered....
The following users liked this post:
TK23 (04-13-2024)