Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Removing the Bed on my '88

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing the Bed on my '88

I have a 1988 toyota 4x4 pick up. I've been trying to drop the gas tank in it forever but run into one problem after another. First, the filler hoses seemed practically welded onto the gas tank, so I had to cut through them. Then I tried to drop the tank, and there was a stripped bolt. I got the bolt turning with some vice grips but its just turning. Not unscrewing for some reason. Now I've decided to remove the bed of the truck. (I need to replace the fuel pump and fuel pump bracket)

I've posted a thread similar to this in the newbie tech, and that was where someone suggested to take the bed off. I need some help with that though.

I've only located 6 bolts. I've unplugged the brake light wires and all that, I just need to unscrew the bolts and lift the bed. I've heard there are 8 on my model of truck? I can't seem to find the other two. I've gotten two on each side closer to the cab, the "Front" of the bed. and only one on each side at the "rear" of the bed.

Are there only 6 on this model truck?

Also is there something I can do to not have to remove the bed? Something I can try to get that stripped turning bolt to actually come out?

I'm very very new to working on this truck, or any vehicle for that matter.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
There are 8 bolts holding the bed ..
and really If thefuel tank bolt is stripped/broken weld .. you'll have to take the bed off .. and what better way to learn ?

Old 10-29-2009, 05:16 PM

Any other hints you might suggest? Should I bother with taking the license plate off, so as not to possibly bend it? Also, what should I rest the bed on when I take it off? Is it okay to just...lay it on the ground (I'm working on this truck outside.)
Old 10-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grab some 2x4 and quickly make a bracket to hold the bed up.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Make sure you unplug the license plate lights. I forgot those once luckily they came out without breaking.
If you have air and a long extension it makes taking the bed off much more easy. It also takes 2 or more people to lift it up and off. Its really not that bad. Just take the nuts off the bolts there is a flap on the top of the bolt that holds it from spinning as you remove the nut. Git er done.

Last edited by toyospearo; 10-29-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 PM

stripped bolt

I also had a problem with a bolt on the fuel tank. The weld on top (looks like they welded a nut on to the frame) broke. I used an angle grinder to cut the bolt head off.

Be sure you have no leaking fuel before messing with this, I was very scared but it worked out.

Sparks + gas = darwin award winner.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by toyospearo
Make sure you unplug the license plate lights. I forgot those once luckily they came out without breaking.
If you have air and a long extension it makes taking the bed off much more easy. It also takes 2 or more people to lift it up and off. Its really not that bad. Just take the nuts off the bolts there is a flap on the top of the bolt that holds it from spinning as you remove the nut. Git er done.
Just put the bed back on my '94. As slacker said, it's 8 captured bolts. I suggest NOT using an impact gun if you can help it. The capturing tabs on the top of 5 of my bolts sheered off, which left me no option but to cut holes in the bed to hold them still. (I couldn't use a torch to knock them off- wicked gas leak. )

It only took my brother and myself to lift my bed off, and that was lifting it over my Marlin Crawler rear bumper, because I didn't feel like removing it that day. LOL. If your bed is rusty, use gloves