86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remounting sleeping deck

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remounting sleeping deck

Looking for some ideas, answers and group brainstorming.

The previous owner mounted a sleeping deck in the back of my 4runner. It is actually very nice and he did a good job on the deck itself. However he just drilled hole in the floor and bolted the support poles to the floor. I would like to rather cover up/weld the holes then weld the bottom of the support pole to the floor.

Pic of the sleeping deck as it stands.

Sleeping deck removed. View of support poles.

Picture of the holes the poles created.

I will not remount them like they were. I think there are 10 poles, all rusted. Took me about 5 hours to get 8 of them off. I don't know how he did the one above the gas tank.

Question:
How do I fill in the holes before I weld the mount to it?

It is an uneven surface. Should I make it even or allow the gap on the mount.

The deck is actually extremely solid. 1 inch wide flooring board with marine carpet glued to it. Probably adds about 80-100 pounds to the truck. It would be safe to go with something thinner right?

Hope you can see from the pictures. The poles are threaded on each end. They screw into the base pieces that are bolted to the platform and the bed of the truck. I would like to change that up. Weld the bottom base piece (then bed-line the bed) keep the pole and upper base but do not screw the board into the deck. Then I would drill hole the width of the pipe holes. Then a pipe with a smaller diameter would be slid into the hole and secured with a bolt through both pipes. Any issues with this or better ideas?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:37 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
There is A really great thread about this, give the search a try, am headed out the door or I would find it for you.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:31 AM

I did a search. Found a bunch of guys making boxes and putting them in the rear. Did not see a platform sleeping deck though. Trying "platform" "sleeping deck" and a mixture of those. I would like to keep it a platform to take all the advantages with only the disadvantage of the head room. As listed in this post. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...57/index3.html

Dont think a RTT is appropriate in my area. Rain, mud, trees list goes on.

Thinking about welding plates to the bed (after I fix the holes) then welding the base of the support to that so it is level. But I will be lining the bed. So line it first?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't weld anything to the bed, no need to IMO, you aren't picking the truck up with it, just something to sleep on.

Should be easy enough to brace it so that it stays wedged in place when in use but easily removable with a little persuasion. Use the bed grooves to your advantage.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:57 AM

I do go offroading though. If I dont mount it some way then it will bounce around.

Also another consideration is in the front I am working on something different. I would still like the functionality of the rear seats. So the front section I am thinking will fold back to allow use of the seats. Also brainstorming some sort of fold-able legs on the front that will allow easy folding and unfolding.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd make it foldable, easily removable while still securable and suitable for storage and sleeping. I still think welding it in is a bad idea.

Me, I just stay in a hotel.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:02 AM

Yea I am looking at Skyrats platform.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f129...4runner-76673/

He has a lot of good ideas. But he also has a new 4 runner than me.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Here is what I am thinking but redoing it in Alum.