Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Remanufactored Fuel Injectors ... Any Good?

Old 04-16-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remanufactored Fuel Injectors ... Any Good?

I need to replace my #1 fuel injector on my 89 4runner. She's not a fancy rig but is solid and about 40-50K into a 2cd engine with about 270K on the rig (including the injectors) I could buy an injector locally for about $180. But I can get them online on sale from $40 to $130 each.
http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...ota&md=4Runner
Somebody plese check out those tell me what I should get. I really want the GB injectors because for that price I can replace all four. But are they good? I've had remanufactored starters, clutch plate, etc and never had a problem. The warranty is the same. So, should I get the remanufactored ones or a new one? Please help.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
witchhunter?
Old 04-17-2011, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by yotarover
witchhunter?
x2 www.witchhunter.com

Is the injector broke or just dirty? Injectors usually dont break down internally but they do need cleaning, especially with that many miles.

Ive used that guy for all my vehicles. he does a good job with a quick turnaround
Old 04-17-2011, 02:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Very important that injectors be balanced. So if you're sure one is toast, I'd recommend one of the remans, BUT. You'll need to send the other three to witchhunter to get them cleaned or else the reman cyl will be rich and the others lean. Better yet, call witchhunter before buying anything; they may have one they can sell you, and then they can flow test all 4 to make sure they balance. Or, they may be able to get the bad one going.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:38 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by sb5walker
Very important that injectors be balanced. So if you're sure one is toast, I'd recommend one of the remans, BUT. You'll need to send the other three to witchhunter to get them cleaned or else the reman cyl will be rich and the others lean. Better yet, call witchhunter before buying anything; they may have one they can sell you, and then they can flow test all 4 to make sure they balance. Or, they may be able to get the bad one going.

ditto
Old 04-17-2011, 04:43 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
these are one of those things if you replace 1 replace all. Remanned IMO are OK, but, WitchHunter is a better option. $80 + $25 if you want them a day or two sooner than their current 2-3 day turn around. Not sure if that includes the shipping back to you or not. But shipping in either direction wouldn't cost more than $5-6 priority USPS. As they will all fit into a small flat rate box even with good packaging material.

If you need remanned ones he will let you know. Pretty sure he will recommend you replace them all. But I could be wrong.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:35 AM

I had an after market injector go out on my #1 cylinder (22RE). I bought a used set of 4 with fuel rail from the junk yard for 60$ (original Denso ones, no aftermarket brands!). New gromets and o-rings from NAPA and they work perfect. I cheaped out and didn't have them cleaned, but engine runs very smooth regardless.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:40 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
^^^^ If you go that route which is feasible as well, just be sure you get the right years as not all 4cyl injectors are created equal. Don't know any more specifics then that but I know they changed and that their are 2 ???? different styles. Pretty apparent though as I believe the connectors are different ????
Old 04-17-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea there are white tops and red tops. i believe it changed in 88. the red tops are the newer ones, and what i have. the white tops are older and they were on the 85 im parting out. the connectors are different and i think its something to do with their resistance too
Old 04-17-2011, 07:05 AM

Thanks for alll the advice guys, the mechanic said I should replace it. But is just an external leak. The reason I was thinking of replacing all is because I have had loss of power and worse milage by at least 2-3 mpg. Could all this be from fuel leakage? And lower fuel pressure because of the leak? Obviously, if I had the money I would replace all with new ones, but that's a ton of money for an old rig. The 4runner does run smooth actually and a spark plug check shows normal vehicle operation. What is witchhunter? sas? Can't the injectors be cleaned on the engine with regular use of gas tank chemicals? I put in some Lucus solvent and I have more power. And again, are remanufactored injectors any good? Can you just buy the o rings for the injectors?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:21 AM

Okay, maybe I will use withhunter. You are basically getting a remanufactored injector but your own. The only disadvantage is that you have to wait a week. When I take off the manifold to get to them do I have to replace all the manifold gaskets?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:23 AM

I used www.injectorwarehouse.com and was very pleased. $100 for a matched set with a no BS warranty. Also, they send you the matched set and then you send the cores back. This way you can still use the vehicle while waiting for your injectors. Good people. In fact, long story short, I thought I had a bad injector (turned out to be a burst fuel filter plugged all injectors, wasn't their fault at all!). Called them, and he asked if I just wanted the one replaced. I said "well, I bought a matched set, and would like another matched set". No problem was his reply. No questions asked! Also, they charge $12. shipping, and on orders over $100. they upgrade you to next day air for free.

John

Last edited by VegasNaturist; 04-17-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:59 AM

OP....don't know where you live but 4 days round trip from pennsylvania to washington state is pretty dang good. see my THREAD B for details. you "leak" is likely your culprit of power loss etc....
Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 AM

I remember the mechanic's reasoning for replacing the injector... if the external seal went out, then there is no sense doing all that work when the internal seals could go out soon as well. But he never mention replacing the other ones or about balance. Looks like replacing all is the way to go. I only asked the mechanic to check it out since I was getting tires put on any way. I guess I'll do all the work myself. I checked out injector wharehouse. $100 for 4 seems too good to be true. Do you think it is?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 AM

Thumbs up

I've had them in my pickup for just over a year now and so far am very pleased. Other than the first set getting plugged after a month(long story short tank of bad fuel from "Grand Opening" gas station + Autozone fuel filter = plugged injectors), but they honored the warranty and replaced the whole set no questions asked. Wasn't even their fault...

John

Originally Posted by tetonvalley4runner
I remember the mechanic's reasoning for replacing the injector... if the external seal went out, then there is no sense doing all that work when the internal seals could go out soon as well. But he never mention replacing the other ones or about balance. Looks like replacing all is the way to go. I only asked the mechanic to check it out since I was getting tires put on any way. I guess I'll do all the work myself. I checked out injector wharehouse. $100 for 4 seems too good to be true. Do you think it is?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:49 AM

You can do the cheap and dirty test on your bad injector: run 12V from battery to it and listen for the click. Measure the resistance on it (~13.4 - 14.2 Ohms). My after market set of injectors had the right resistance, but it took a seconds for it to settle to the final mark. One of them didn't click open. The Denso set from the junk yard were much better: the resistance settled immediately and all clicked!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I did mine a few years ago, I bought a set of used injectors off e bay. Once I received them I sent them in for cleaning/re-furbishing and then did the swap once they were returned. That way I had full fresh set with reduced down time. Afterward, the original injectors are ready for sale to re coup your $. As mentioned, make sure you get the right connector style if you go this route as there are 2. I used cruzinperformance for mine and they looked new when I got them back.

The three big cleaneing companies that I had heard of were:

http://www.cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html

http://www.witchhunter.com/

http://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-C...mt9WBN0KqIhEXF

cruzin and witchhunter both have very good reps on this board. RC seems to have a pretty good rep around the internet but not much info here on YT specifically. (probably because they are the most expensive and no discernable advantage for the price difference)

Good luck,
Mike
Old 04-17-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Great thread! Didn't know about the cleaning option. Glad to find out before taking the intake off for the upcoming valve adjustment, may have to try out Witchhunter.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:34 PM

here's my experience
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51463791
Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 PM

As an update - I replaced all 4 injectors with a matched set from http://www.injectorwarehouse.com/ that cost me $100 + core. I put them all in and everything seems good. The truck runs smoother, has more power, and there are no leaks. Plus they come with an unconditional 24 month warranty which is a year more than new injectors at $180 ea. If you don't here back form me on this post, that means they are still running strong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remanufactored Fuel Injectors ... Any Good?