Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Reliable Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reliable Oil Pressure Gauge

I just purchased a Bosch 8202 electric oil pressure gauge for my 1988 Toyota Pickup 2.4l 22RE. The gauge ( I hope its the gauge) seems to be acting very strange. After the truck is warmed up, the gauge will drop below zero when the truck is idling or in low RPMs. I am pretty sure it is the gauge and not my oil pressure. I want to stick with an electric gauge because I have heard about messy disasters with mechanical gauges.

Do any of ya'll have a suggestion for a reliable electronic oil pressure gauge for my truck?

Thank You
Old 01-20-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 599 Likes on 439 Posts
Originally Posted by cblackmon1
I just purchased a Bosch 8202 electric oil pressure gauge for my 1988 Toyota Pickup 2.4l 22RE. The gauge ( I hope its the gauge) seems to be acting very strange. After the truck is warmed up, the gauge will drop below zero when the truck is idling or in low RPMs. I am pretty sure it is the gauge and not my oil pressure. I want to stick with an electric gauge because I have heard about messy disasters with mechanical gauges.

Do any of ya'll have a suggestion for a reliable electronic oil pressure gauge for my truck?

Thank You
Unless you buy a nuclear power plant grade electrical instrument (likely to cost more than your truck is worth) there is really no accurate, or reliable electrical gauge.

One is about as good, or bad, as the next.

You might as well get used to the idiosyncracies of your existing electric gauge and live with it.

Mechanical gauges have very few reliability issues. The failures I have seen mostly involve the crappy nylon tube that is supplied with them, in conjunction with poor routing of the tubing.

Some 1/8 inch copper, or steel tube and common sense routing of the feed tube, make them pretty tough.

Last edited by millball; 01-20-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just where are you hearing of messy disasters from mechanical gauges.??

I can accept if one is mechanically challenged and installed one.

I have been using Mechanical Gauges for 40 plus years without one messy disaster

Changing my oil is far messier !!

If you want real quality Electric oil pressure gauge your going to pay for what you get

The sending unit has to respond faster then what your going find in a $35.00 gauge

Then your install has to be figured to not change the signal from the sending unit to the gauge

I hate doing Math so just went mechanical and never looked back with my First 600 hp 454 in 1976
Old 01-20-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our reasons for choosing one type of gauge over another are largely personal preference. Over the years I have seen disastrous results from both types of oil gauges. The one truism that is universal is if you see any oil pressure gauge go to zero, shut the motor down and find out why. DON'T GUESS!!! That could lead to a bigger disaster than just cleaning up a 'mess'.

Mechanical gauges are usually more accurate than electrical. How the gauge is installed is usually what determines if it fails or not. I have run cars and trucks with one or the other and prefer to use both if I can. I did run across a semi-solution for the "mess' factor with a mechanical gauge. Insert the tube into a slightly larger rubber hose ( the portion that goes inside the cab ) when connecting to the gauge. This prevents a messy spray in the event of tube failure. No one can say it will happen but this is one of those precautionary measures.

Electrical gauges have been touted as being 'in an acceptable range' concerning their reading. There are lots of variables to consider when installing one. I have seen two different gauges read differently in the same vehicle. Mostly they tell you that you have a level of pressure. Not how much. They are, for the most part, reliable for everyday use.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure it will work out.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Is it actually going negative or just to zero? Have you confirmed the zero/negative reading with a second gauge? What is the standard deviation of the one you have, does the user manual list it, have you contacted the manufacturer and asked? How stable is the supply line voltage? Does your sensor and or gauge have an internal voltage regulator?

if you want accurate the only way to get that is to calibrate it against another one with a valid calibration sticker. Which would probably cost more than the vehicle.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had my VDO electrical gauge for 23 years in my 93 yota. I know it's not as accurate as a mechanical gauge and just use it to make sure there is some pressure while running. If it goes to "zero" I know to kill the engine immediately and find out what's wrong.

Last edited by anndel; 01-23-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauge

Just purchased an Autometer electric oil pressure gauge ($81). It hooked right up and seems to be working great. Thank you