Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Redundant thread :) Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redundant thread :) Power Steering

I looked all over the site for this thread i was talking on. lol. I even used the search function. I'm just retarded and can't find it.

I have 1992 Toyota 4Runner and on my power steering pump it says it takes Dexron type ATF.

I was wondering would Dexron 3 fluid be ok?

Also I have read about flushing the power steering pump and the mechanism.. Are they 2 separate things to flush?

Also I've seen the 3rd gen write up on how to flush the pump. Does that same method apply to the 2nd gens?

Thanks so much
Old 01-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Dexron III is Dexron II.

Which mechanism?

Pumps are pumps, so flushing a 2nd gen pump will work the same way as a 3rd gen.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:47 PM

Ok. very simple but great info for me.

The mechanism I was refering to is the power steering rack. And also what is the power steering cooler?

Also, if I put power steering fluid in the pump rather than ATF can it really do damage to the pump? Is power steering fluid thicker than ATF?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'92's don't use "racks", referring to the rack and pinion steering of '96+ 4runners. 'pre-'96 use a recirculating ball type steering.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:55 PM

In more than one case it's the same thing except one has red dye.
Bigblock
Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 PM

Hmm. ok. So the write up of the 3rd gen. pump being flushed would work the same for my pump?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:07 PM

So the power steering fluid is essential the same as the ATF?
So I really don't have to worry that much?

I still wanna flush it and put ATF in it.. I'm just worried it may be too late. I've driven with power steering fluid for about 4 or 5 days.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
PS fluid is NOT the same as Dexron. Putting PS fluid in where ATF is required can damage the pump and other compnents over time. If it calls for ATF, stick to ATF. Dexron 3 is updated Dexron 2.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I mistakenly topped off my PS fluid resevior with PS fluid, and ever since then my gear box has leaked... no noises, and it still works right, but I've been topping it off with Dextron III for the past 8 months, and at least the leak has slowed now
Old 01-12-2009, 04:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SMOD
Hmm. ok. So the write up of the 3rd gen. pump being flushed would work the same for my pump?
If you are referring to my writeup for the 3rd gen power steering system flush, then yes, it works exactly the same for 2nd gen 4Runners. I believe I added that note somewhere in the writeup thread. And yes, you should get that power steering fluid out of there unless you soon want to be rebuilding your pump or gearbox.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I mistakenly topped off my PS fluid resevior with PS fluid, and ever since then my gear box has leaked... no noises, and it still works right, but I've been topping it off with Dextron III for the past 8 months, and at least the leak has slowed now
Mine was filled with PS fluid... It didnt last long. It got so bad it was %99 armstrong steering in parking lots, and you could see a steady flow of PS fluid leaking out (under lock to lock). Then the pump committed suicide and I had to swap it out with a good 2wd pump.

Fill it with ATF dextron lll!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:01 AM

Ok. great info!
I'm going to flush that thing and get the right fluid in there.

It would suck if I had to replace the pump again, I hope it saves it.

Thanks a lot. If I didn't join this thread I would probably still be running power steering fluid in the power steering pump instead of ATF and be replacing the pump for the 2nd time.

Thanks
Smod
Old 01-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Alright.
I just flushed the system and it has all new synthetic atf fluid dex. 3

The power steering actually works a lot easier and nicer with the atf rather the the power steering fluid in it.

The only thing is ever since I bought this 92 4runner its had a power steering leak... even after I replaced the pump!

My mechanic said it looks like the resivor cap! I was like what? That sounds weird.. and I"m pretty sure its not the cap. I have more to look at. I already replaced one of the 1/8inch hoses spring clamp with a pipe clamp.. but it leaks still.

The resivor has a new o ring on it too.. I dunno.. I need to work on it more. lol. I just dont have a lot of time.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 PM

Oh and I was wondering if anyone had a convenient pic of where the hoses from the pump and resivor connect to the ball steering
Old 01-16-2009, 06:21 PM

Ok, I checked and did a test and the power steering fluid definately isn't leaking from the resivor cap.

Does anyone have a pic of the power steering pump with the resivor on it and how it all fits together onto the engine. (Like a diagram or drawing?)

Thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 06:35 PM

you can download the factoy service manual.. there is a sticky thread abovce this one!!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:43 PM

Sweet. I got some pics.

So I looked at the diagram and specified places where the pump could be leaking. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like there are 3 places where it could be leaking which is the return hose, pressure tube (metal hose), and where the resivor meets the pump (which it requires an o-ring).

I replaced this pump and I didn't replace the o ring on the resivor because my mechanic did it for me when I had my old pump in when he was looking it over.

So I'm going to check the return hose, pressure tube and o ring soon to be sure it isn't leaking out of any of those.

So is there any other point where the pump could be potentially leaking? I might as well check everything while its apart again.

NOTE: I bought this pump remanufactured. So I basically just swapped the pumps when I did it. (i didn't rebuild the old one or anything).

Thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 07:05 PM

wow a person that actually took the time to search and find the knowledge for yourself.thats a really good man most people just ask more and more questions

yeah im pretty sure my power steering has the 3 lines on it...
how long ago did you pu thte pump in?? because putting power steering fluid in it may have caused the leak.. maybe it will go away with atf i f you didnt have it in very long if ya did you might have ruined a seal.. did you flush it or just drain and fill?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 PM

I flushed the system and it now has atf in it. I put the pump in like 2 weeks ago.

Yeah I had power steering fluid in it for about 5 or 6 days so I don't think it could have ruined the seals but I'm not sure.

I will check those 3 things and then give an update.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a large seal on the back side (towards the rear of the vehicle) of the power steering pump that is a common leaker. There is also the shaft seal at the front of the pump (behind the pulley) that can leak. Both of these are easily fixed (sort of) by rebuilding the pump with a seal kit. This section from the FSM should help you see what I'm talking about. Mine was leaking from the rear seal before I rebuilt it.

Quick Reply: Redundant thread :) Power Steering