Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rebuilding VF1A T-case....

Old 10-30-2007, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding VF1A T-case....

As the title states, I want to rebuild my t-case...chain drive VF1A in the next few months..no rush. I've tossed the idea of just getting a whole 'new'-used tranny and t-case but get the W56tranny/RF1A t-case so I can mod in the future but that seems a little out of my $ at this point. I've only been able to find rebuilt kits for gear drive cases like RF1A but there's got to be one for the VF1A. Any leads or links? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

have you tried marlin crawler
Old 10-30-2007, 01:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
FSM is one thing I didn't have when I rebuilt my VF1A. It would have helped alot. So here's that.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../transfer.html

I didn't do a "major" rebuild on it. I couldn't, still can't, find a rebuild kit for a chain drive transfer case either.

I did manage to find all the seals and all but 2 of the bearings. The ones I didn't replace were the planetary gear bearing and the rear output shaft needle roller bearings(2 pieces on that one actually). I re-used all the shims and used RTV for the gaskets.

I didn't keep track of what parts I got from where but I can tell ya for sure that them all from either RockAuto or NAPAOnline. Be sure to check the measurements of your used parts to be sure what your ordering matches, some were slightly mislabeled from what I remember.

Oh..and one last tip...there's at least 2 , that I recall, small loose ball bearings that will fall out while your disassembling. So that was fair warning on that. I had to go to the hardware store for some replacements for mine.

So why are your wanting to rebuild it again? Is there a problem with it? Just curious.

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-30-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:37 PM

Ya I've tried Marlin Crawler...first placed I looked but they only have it for gear drive t-case. I found a used one for $750 but don't know how much better shape it is than mine. As for why I want to rebuild...I've only used my 4x4 a handful just to keep things lubed and moving, t-case ran dry for a bit because seals were gone. Replaced input and output seals and in the process the mech found some water in it. He said the chain is a tad rusty and that the bearings make a "wahwoowahwoo..." sound....he didn't recommend driving it in 4x4 at higher speeds 80km/h'ish and for a long time as it might "blow". Then he mentioned so-and-so down the road can do a rebuild for $800! I don't know if he's trying to give business to buddy but it sounds odd. The t-case does make a noise so that's what I'm left with. I don't want to tear into it only for something smaller to be wrong.

Last edited by BluYot; 10-30-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:46 PM

If your in the Vancouver area I have 2 sitting in the garage. $50
Old 10-30-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by BluYot
As for why I want to rebuild...I've only used my 4x4 a handful just to keep things lubed and moving, t-case ran dry for a bit because seals were gone. Replaced input and output seals and in the process the mech found some water in it. He said the chain is a tad rusty and that the bearings make a "wahwoowahwoo..." sound....he didn't recommend driving it in 4x4 at higher speeds 80km/h'ish and for a long time as it might "blow". Then he mentioned so-and-so down the road can do a rebuild for $800! I don't know if he's trying to give business to buddy but it sounds odd. The t-case does make a noise so that's what I'm left with. I don't want to tear into it only for something smaller to be wrong.
I see. Coincidentally, that's why I ended up trying to rebuild mine. I ran it for about 3-4 months with about a 1/2 cup of muddy water for lube till it made that sound your sayin'. My chain came out alright actually, the only parts that rusted real bad were the 2 bearings for the front output shaft and the needle roller bearing for the rear output shaft(which still makes some noise since I had to re-use it, it's gotten quieter though). Apparently there wasn't enough of it for the oil pump, yes it has one, to move it around and foul everything up too much. The filter screen on it was clogged with crud though, and the entire interior of the thing was filthy in general. ALL the parts needed washed thoroughly.

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-30-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:06 PM

Hey MudHippy, did you have to replace the chain or did you just clean it along with everything else? And Moto...I'm not in Van...a touch more east...well Ontario. I'll pm my postal code if you're willing to ship...I know it'd be a little pricey but if it's cheaper than $800.....
Old 10-30-2007, 02:10 PM

My chain was good enough to clean and throw back in there, all I could find was surface rust. After I got it clean I could hardly see where the rust had been, no pitting, nothin'. I have to say I was a little amazed how that worked. Must be some GOOD steel they make those chains out of.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by BluYot
Hey MudHippy, did you have to replace the chain or did you just clean it along with everything else? And Moto...I'm not in Van...a touch more east...well Ontario. I'll pm my postal code if you're willing to ship...I know it'd be a little pricey but if it's cheaper than $800.....
750 is WAY too much, I'm in Calgary with one that leaks from the rear output seal but quiet and trouble free other than that. If motorider doesn't work out let me know. Same thing, $50 and I'll throw it on greyhound for you and you can pay shipping when you pick it up. Should be less than $100 for shipping.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:49 AM

VF1A transfer case

I'm looking for a good reliable VF1A transfer to buy.