Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rebuilding motor? whats needs done to block?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding motor? whats needs done to block?

I have a 22re. I would like to rebuild it. I was wondering if you can just hone the cylinders and through in new pistons and rings. I can get a michrometer, to check the cylinders.

Are the cylinder walls suppost to have some cross hatching left from the factory? I can get the head rebuilt for cheap.

I would buy englbdrs kit. It's a good deal. All that stuff and a cam for 300$.

I also have a 22re w/ 160,000 miles on it. AUTOMATIC But it runs alot better than mine. It's in a running truck though. Just needs a frame patch. I don't know what I should do. My timing chain messed up. I bought this other truck for the motor but don't think I'm going to swap it in.

What would some of you guys do?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:31 PM

If you are going to keep the truck I would rebuild the engine. If you have it that far apart it doesn't make sense to put it back together half assed. You'll kick yourself when you get it all back together and something you decided to skimp on decides to break or wear out.

I started my V6 build by slowly taking everything off bit by bit. Thinking "all I have to do is this". Then I'd take something else off and think "I can stop here, everything else should be good". I ended up with the block out and a full rebuild.

Anyways, if it was me I would take it all apart and send the block to a machine shop to make sure you're starting off right. I also highly recommend Ted (engnbldr) and his parts. His customer service is above and beyond. You can email him just about anytime day or night with stupid questions and he'll answer within half an hour.

I guess I'm assuming you have the means and desire to do this. If not then disregard all the above.

Jason
Old 09-19-2007, 04:12 AM

I have the desire to rebuild my motor, but the 4runner is getting a little rusty.
It needs some new panels.

I just picked up a 86 Pickup. 22re, auto. The body is pretty solid on it. I need to fix the frame though. The guy said it cracked, then had some kids at a vo-tech try to weld it up. It's got a 1st generation truck bed on it...

I really like this truck, I got it pretty cheap. It runs really good and everything. I would like to get the truck legal and rebuild my 4runner motor.
It's no where near as nice as my 4runner, though.