86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To rebuild or not to rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To rebuild or not to rebuild.

I have an 86 pickup that i bought recently, it currently looks a tad crappy. The wheel wells have rust holes, and the front bumper has been pushed in on one side. Although it has these cosmetic issues, it has this character that I love about it. It has a Weber in there and It won't pass emissions due to high HC.

The bigger problem is when it's warmed up, and around I'm guessing 2200 rpm it makes a sort of rattling. I believe it to be a slight rod knock. It just sounds like a loud engine. (doesn't do this at idle).

The question is, what would you do here? Rebuild? Try to do the ol' new bearings band-aid trick? Entire new engine?

(pretty sure oil pressure is fine. I think it was just previously starved from lack of oil.)

Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-13-2016 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Language
Old 04-12-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's hard to give you advice without knowing your budget. Also, what is the primary use going to be, daily driver, weekend expedition/camping, full on trail rig? The reason I bring this up is if your going to be driving it regularly (once it passes smog) then you probably aren't going to want it down for a long time. But if your building it up as a secondary vehicle then you could probably take your time and go through it without being in a big hurry as time and money allow.

If it were me I'd find another motor to build on the side in your spare time, and go have fun with it now!

We need some pics!!!

Last edited by rustED; 04-12-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truck is going to be a secondary vehicle, for weekend trips out camping and just general fun. I'd like it to eventually be quite trail worthy. So with it being a side "project", It doesn't matter so much if down time is often. My budget for this will be a small but steady. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the idea of building one while just using this one for the time being. I don't know why I didn't think of that. But it just may be the perfect route.

This will be the first time I overhaul an engine. If you have a very critical piece of advice you have. I will take it.