86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rebuild advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rebuild advice

I'm gonna be buying a rebuilt long block 3.0 for 89 4 runner and I'm trying to replace all the important parts along with the rebuilt long block because I want a very reliable 4runner in the end , here are some of the things I got already : all new injectors with seals , new cold start injector , new tps , knock sensor, knock sensor wire harness, new spark plugs , spark plug wires, new rotor, new dist. Cap, new vacuum hoses, new clutch kit, new thermo-stat , one year old radiator , new radiator hoses, new water pump, idler, tensioner, and that's all I have ready so far , I'm thinking about replacing the whole egr system , can anyone think of any important parts I missed that I should look into replacing to make my rebuild super reliable ??? Please let me know thanks oh yeah I got a new fuel filter too .... And headers and a newly bored out throttle body .
Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 AM

Ok I know added a new egr valve, egr vacuum modular, new egr inlet, and new egr pipe no. 1 , please let me know if you guys can think of any thing else ?? Thanks ....
Old 08-02-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're going for performance improvements, what about upgrading your cams? I still have stock ones but others have been happy about their new cams, search the forums.

Also, since you are replacing the headers (please tell me you're not putting the crossover pipe back on) and a larger throttle body, made sure all your air intake parts as in tip top shape. Make sure the manifold isn't covering in black slime or the air chamber. Also, I'd highly recommend doing an ISR mod. Better yet, swap out the VAFM with one from a 7MGE Supra or Cressida. Here's why:

You'll eliminate the largest restriction on your intake. If you don't, your new throttle body won't have hardly any effect.

I just realized your in California... you sure replacing the headers is smog legal for around here? I take back what I said about the cams, pretty sure those aren't.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 08-02-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:49 AM

yes i bought ca. street legal doug thorley headers with y pipe no more stock cross over pipes, and yes i had both the upper and lower intake manifold bathed in a solvent tank to get rid off all the gunk inside the manifolds and had them both ported as well along with throttle body , i all ready have the k&n intake so not sure about the isr mod i will have to check out that mod. , as for the 7mgte vafm mod i'm really intrested in this mod thanks for bringing it up i will look into this mod soon as i get the new motor in and every thing dialed in first, also the motor i'm getting comes with a bigger cam with 400 lift , ported heads with bigger vavles , and hi rev springs (street verison) and gonna make sure all my intake parts are in tip top shape like you mentioned thanks for the recomendations , your suggestion for the 7mgte make a lot of sense , i'm assuming its straight bolt on and plug in type of mod yeah ? anyways i will do the research on here thanks again !!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the link in my thread. It's not too hard to do, I just went the simple route and bought a universal Spectre intake kit and used both the 7MGE AFM and the air box (uses same air filters as our trucks). A little bit of tinkering and some new hosing and it's running great. You'll want to read the whole thread though, it has lots of good tips.