Print Wikipost

Rear window Won't go down - Motor Hums

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window Won't go down - Motor Hums

Hey fellas,

The rear window on my 90 4Runner won't go down. The motor sounds like it is working in both directions, but no movement. I took the panel off the tailgate, tried moving the gears with a screwdriver, they are solid.
I need an idea of what to look for and do before I tear everything apart.
Any help would be appreciate, it is a beautiful day in Omaha, I need to work on it no.
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 03-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by jaaydee
Hey fellas,

The rear window on my 90 4Runner won't go down. The motor sounds like it is working in both directions, but no movement. I took the panel off the tailgate, tried moving the gears with a screwdriver, they are solid.
I need an idea of what to look for and do before I tear everything apart.
Any help would be appreciate, it is a beautiful day in Omaha, I need to work on it no.
Thanks,
Jerry
Just guessing, but if motor hums, then it's either froze, not engaging or the gear in motor is stripped. Really tough to call without seeing it.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Jeb,
I messed with it a littlw more, it acts like it wants to move the mechanism, but can't. But with the motor sounding like it is turning, I'm afraid it is stripped.

What will it take to get it our of there? I took the wires and 4 bolts loose, how do I get the mechanism unhooked?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:42 AM
Contributing Member

if you have unplugged it and taken out the three screws holding it in place, you should be able to just wiggle it a bit to come loose. once you have it out, you can apply power to the connection to check the operation.

power to red will make it go one way, green the other. you can also check the switch while you are at it. you should be able to carefully lower the rear glass by hand once the motor is out. make sure you lube the contact points in the gate and the side tracks the glass travels in.

keep us posted.

lee
Old 03-12-2007, 02:02 AM

just in the middle of rear window motor problems myself. Mine got slower and slower until it died. Enjoy removing the old motor as the 3 bolts holding it in place are behind the motor in the tailgate cavity, you only need an 8mm spanner and a wire coathanger formed into a hook to retrieve you spanner after you drop down the tailgate lol
Old 03-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

well fellas, heres what I have so far. I got the regulator and motor out. Took the motor fields off, (twisted off one screw in the process), put it back together, it runs fine now. I have polished up the slides on the gears on the regulators, will grease them and put them back in. I can't figure out why the motor sounded like it was turning, but nothing was happening. Maybe it was past the travel on the gear? I imagine I will find out when it is back together.

I also let the gears seperate without marking the timing. Luckily, I have my '93 I can look at. All I see now is timing the regulator, getting the tracks and arms together and skinning my knuckles putting it back in!! I will let you know how it turns out.

Thank You all for your help, I certainly appreciate it, you helped alot.

Jerry
Old 10-06-2010, 10:44 PM

tailgate jammed, motor nakes noise and beeps

hey guys, i have a 90 4runner. the tailgate is jammed, the key only turns one way making the motor run but doesnt move the glass. the key wont turn the other way, and from inside the window switch makes a motor noise in down direction but a beeping noise in up direction (but doesnt move the glass at all). is something jammed, i cant get the darn thing to roll down thus i cant open the tailgate
Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine won't go UP!!!!!?!?!?!?

it does sometimes.....and other times it don't...

it always goes down just fine....just rarely wants to go back up

and my switch in the console now does nothing, i'm guessing it needs to be cleaned/replaced.

the Beeping only occurs on mine when the tailgate is down, it will beep and not allow you to roll up the window until the gate is securely closed.

so i'm guessing something is keeping the motor from realizing the gate is closed, 86.