Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Window Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Window Woes...

1987 4Runner SR5, 22RE nonturbo.

Rear window does not work. This is a nearly pristine vehicle, and only a few weeks ago the rear window, wiper, everything worked from the console switch and from the keylock in the rear door.

I am aware that the rear wiper has to be "parked" and that there is a relay at the drivers' side kick panel. Have checked all of that. I am sure that there are no missing teeth on the rear window regulator (replaced it myself), and that the rear window motor is good.

The strange thing is that the idiot light on the dash for "Rear Door" is always illuminated. Which essentially means that the truck thinks that the rear window is _down_ and that the lock mechanism is _unlocked_.

Have removed the inside covers for the rear door. All wires and grounds (that are easily visible) appear OK, and the micro-switch for the door lock appears OK. Changing the position of that micro-switch by hand does not affect the dash light (it stays on).

I am stumped. Without being able to operate the rear window, this is one "SUV" that is a lot more of just a "V" - if you know what I mean.

I did a search, but honestly theres so much that is returned (much of it not relevant) I thought I'd just go ahead and ask. Any and all help is MUCH appreciated. I am hoping beyond hope that someone has had this exact same problem and can communicate the solution, but, not holding my breath on that.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Have you checked that you have voltage at the switches ??

One must start some place.

If the light is lite it means that one of the switches is stuck in the closed position.

Do you own a Multimeter now might be a good time to get one if not.

If the window is up but the light says it is down I am not 100% sure but don`t think it will allow it to come down.

That will be why the rear wiper does not work also

Another of the safety features.

Figure out why the dash light is lite and you will more than likely fix your issue:jessica::jessica:

Last edited by wyoming9; 08-01-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with Wyoming. The BACK DOOR lamp is only actuated by the one switch that operates via the door lock mechanism. It does not have the capability of sensing rear wiper position, just controlling window movement.

I would suggest that you double check the condition of the top mounting bolt and the COVER TOP SWITCH to make sure:

A) The bolt you used is in place, snug, and long enough to depress the top sw.

B) The top switch is operational.

BUT, I don't believe that solves the BACK DOOR lamp problem. I advise you to download the FSM (link posted in my signature below) and study the relay schematic. My money is on the relay going bad, or the window breaker is tripped (that can be found on your fuse panel to the left of the clutch behind a trapezoid-shaped kicker panel).

EDIT:

After a closer look at the circuit, it appears that TWO switches control the light. The door lock AND the TAILGATE LATCH SWITCH. You see, the left (drivers side) latch is ALSO a switch and THAT one controls ground for power window operation. I.E. the left side of your tailgate isn't latched all the way OR the switch is bad.

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 08-01-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 AM

Thanks for both replies. I do own a multimeter - just hate using it. Sounds like I need to suck it up and go that route. Also, with regard to the tailgate switch - I didn't know that this existed, and it is worth checking. When this issue first manifested itself, the idiot light on the dash would flicker somewhat. So - perhaps the tailgate becoming unlatched.

Thanks for the help, I have work to do.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Try 4crawler's rear window page.

:wabbit2:
Old 08-02-2012, 12:36 PM

Silly me, I did not know about the switch that senses the tailgate being fully closed or not. So, I walked out to my barn, leaned on the tailgate ever so slightly and heard it "click" shut.

Idiot light (and I feel like and idiot now) went out, all things back to normal. This site is awesome for this kind of stuff...
Old 08-05-2012, 02:36 PM

this is happening in my 4runner too. i know the window motor works because i can put the window up and down with a direct connection to the motor, the rear wiper works fine, but that back door light stays on. The previous owner of the truck backed into something and ruined the original tailgate and I can tell that the body panels are slightly bent. Im thinking that has something to do with it, same as in your case, maybe the tailgate isn't able to close all the way. It seems tight and doesn't fall open, but I'm wondering if there is a way to manually open that switch without closing the gate to see if the light goes off.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I've had to lean on the tailgate a few times too. I was going to suggest it to you...
Old 08-06-2012, 05:48 AM

Sometimes my back window quits too. I kick the fuse box and it usually begins to work again.