Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear window switch in console not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window switch in console not working properly

Okay, so my rear window started acting funny the other day. The switch on the tail gate works up and down, but the switch on the console only makes the window go up. WTF! I haven't had time to pull the sucker apart and check the connections, but does anyone have any other ideas for when I do? What could this be?

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 04-28-2009 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Title clarity per posted sticky
Old 04-28-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Talking

Switches do wear out .

If you pull your switch out of the console unplugging it when you have it free .

Then you can check both the switch and harness you can jumper the harness to move the window up and down if it still has the problems . Broken wire some where .

Double check that the switch does work before pulling things apart .
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if its your switch, you may be able to clean it with jewelry cleaner. i used to soak my audi switches overnight in the stuff, and they'd be "healed" in the morning
Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the 4runner I am selling was full of coke syrup
Old 07-17-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
if its your switch, you may be able to clean it with jewelry cleaner. i used to soak my audi switches overnight in the stuff, and they'd be "healed" in the morning

I love this forum.

My switch stopped rolling the window down. It would roll the window up just fine and the key in the back works perfectly. I took the switch out, took it apart, sprayed goo-gone and WD40 in there to clean out all the crap(most likely soda/coffee), put it back together and it works perfect again. Of course this was after I took the tailgate apart and the relay box apart and messed with those. One of thee days I'll learn to search first, then rip things apart.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have learned the hard way many times to start with the simple stuff first..

once on the same issue..
Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Justinlhc
I love this forum.

My switch stopped rolling the window down. It would roll the window up just fine and the key in the back works perfectly. I took the switch out, took it apart, sprayed goo-gone and WD40 in there to clean out all the crap(most likely soda/coffee), put it back together and it works perfect again. Of course this was after I took the tailgate apart and the relay box apart and messed with those. One of thee days I'll learn to search first, then rip things apart.

Goodness that sounds familiar. Mine does the exact same thing but every once in a while it will roll the window down and up. I'll be pulling that switch and cleaning it out this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
I love this forum.

If you can get ahold of one, a factory EWD works wonders. Use the split-half method, and a little common sense. You'll trace stuff down in no time
Old 07-18-2009, 06:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I pulled my switch yesterday and sprayed WD40 in it and coffee and crap ran out of it. It works a lot better now except that once the top of the rear windo hits the grommet at the top of the windo opening the switch will no longer push the window up or down.

Is there an adjustment or something in the tailgate?