86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear window relay question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window relay question

So my rear window doesnt work on my 92 and ive been reading up on the location of the relays and found that out, so i got the relay box out of the truck and apart, and noticed there are 6 relays on the circuit board, 4 the same and 2 the same but the 2 had rubber sleeves on them(look at pic), i know on the first gen there are only 4 relays because i used this guide: http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...ay-repair.html
but my question is, what are the 2 extra relays for and do i have to take the lids off of all of them or just the 4 that are the same, thanks
here is my circuit board, use the pics in the URL as a comparison

Old 06-07-2011, 05:32 PM

So I went ahead and just did the 4 that are the same, but when I got the the middle 2 they looked brand new which was weird, so I didn't touch them, I went and plugged the circuit board back in and tried it out and nothing, all I got was a click going up and nothing going down, it was exactly like this before I started so I have made no progress and wasted an afternoon, why am I only getting a click going up and nothing goin down need help!!! Thanks
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 PM

I've got the exact same issue. New relays coming in tomorrow so hopefully I have better luck than you did.

is there a way to identify which relays are for the window on the board? My wiper works fine so I'd like to only replace the window relays if possible.

Will be curious to see what you come up with.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 AM

by the looks of it only 2 relays had wear, the other 2 looked brand new and the 2 other ones i didnt take the lids off, tho i need a new wiper, it still works fine too, i put pressure on both sides of the tail gate to make sure it was totally closed, i used to hear clicks from the relays going both up and down and then i started hearing nothign going down which made me start this whole thing, and the way it sits right now i only hear a relay click going up and nothing going down, does anybody know the signs of a motor on the way out?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:45 AM

thought i would take a pic of the open relays, the middle ones are untouched, the bottom right one must be the up relay because thats the only one that clicked, and the down relay must be the bottom left one as it is not doing anything but is still worn out, am i better off just replacing this whole circuit board at this point or is there anything else anybody could suggest? anything?!?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:07 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
removed

Last edited by coryc85; 11-01-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 AM

If there's anything I will do last its making a new circuit board, I've made a circuit board before but that was in high school, do you mean the board could be junk? Or do you mean the design of the board in general? The up relay has stopped clicking and I noticed when I turn the key to position before ignition the middle right relay clicks, I think the only thing that works now is the wiper... Don't know if the washer even works anymore, this problem is really starting to piss me off seeing how I need in the back everyday and have to get In Through rear doors, might I add that rear cargo panel is a whore to put back on without breaking the clips... Are you saying that if I went and got a complete replacement board it won't fix it?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by 92Yoda
If there's anything I will do last its making a new circuit board, I've made a circuit board before but that was in high school, do you mean the board could be junk? Or do you mean the design of the board in general? The up relay has stopped clicking and I noticed when I turn the key to position before ignition the middle right relay clicks, I think the only thing that works now is the wiper... Don't know if the washer even works anymore, this problem is really starting to piss me off seeing how I need in the back everyday and have to get In Through rear doors, might I add that rear cargo panel is a whore to put back on without breaking the clips... Are you saying that if I went and got a complete replacement board it won't fix it?
Not trying to confuse your issue, sorry if it was unclear. On the OEM boards there can be several issues, 1) the relay contacts sometimes corrode and replacing the relays can help and 2) there are some safety mechanisms that can prevent operation (such as tailgate switch, wiper arm position, etc)

So what I am saying is that made a quick and simple board with only 2 relays. My board does not have any of the safety mechanisms such it is much less complicated. I am saying that I will sell you one if you want it. Hopefully it is clearer now.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Well I have a solution. My co-worker had the exact same problem as you, we first replaced all 4 relays with the radio-shack versions, did not fix it. Then he ordered another entire relay board off ebay, did not fix the problem. Had his mechanic jumper the motor and it worked, so the board was likely the problem. We are engineers, so we did what engineers would do and laid out a new relay board....

I will sell you one if you want one, but a couple of disclaimers. First of all, this board has only 2 relays on it and will handle window up and window down. There are no safety interlocks like tailgate open or wiper blade not seated. Your rear wiper will no longer work, but the tailgate key switch will still work. Also, I don't know if your window motor works or not, so please check that it does work by jumpering it.

I'll sell the raw board for $30 shipped. If you want me to get you the relays, I'll have to add that cost back in, they are a few dollars each at RadioShack. You will need to unsolder your big white connector from your board and solder it onto this one. If you prefer, you can send me your board, and for $50 (plus the cost of the relays) shipped, I'll unsolder the connector and put it on this board and send it back to you.
I try to remember this post and I might get one of these one day to restore factory window system. The lack of safety over-rides is a good feature.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 PM

so i went to the dealership and was told the circuit board was $850... couldnt believe it, ive found another one online for about $30 plus shipping lol, so im gonna try and take the relays out and put new ones in first, then if that doesnt work, ill just get a new board, if that doesnt work then i think i might buy one of your boards assembled, i would send you the harness plug to install it, but im gonna try other options first see what happens
Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 PM

I've got similar issues, though I dissected the steering column assembly to figure out why my rear wiper & front intermittent wiper won't work. Turns out 2 wires detached themselves from the little circuit board they go to. My question is: rather than shellin out $850 at the dealership, where'd you find the circuit board online? They might have the one I need as well.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM

This sounds really stupid, but run your back wiper blade for about a minute, turn off, then try the motor. I replaced the circuit board, relays, motor.... all... Put the damn thing back like it was to take it to a repair shop and have a "professional" look at it... ran the wiper tried it for the )(*&^*)(&^ of it... and BOOM window DOWN!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:32 PM

haha not gonna lie that does sound a little stupid, but ill try anything at this point, countless times ive found myself needing that window down and couldnt happen, and i cant remember where this circuit board was i found online, ill try and source it out again and get back to ya, but for $30 as i remember, theres gotta be a catch haha, nonetheless ill try and find it, im gonna first try and replace the relays for better ones, sourced them out to about $45 for 4, if that doesnt work im gonna try and fiddle with wires, everything works except the window, and i know the motor isnt fried