86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Window Options for Camping in Your 4Runner and/or Alarm Option

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Rear Window Options for Camping in Your 4Runner and/or Alarm Option

This week I installed an alarm in my 4Runner. It's a simple 2 chanel model, nothing fancy. Anyway, I wanted to hook up a pin to the rear tailgate and decided to tap into the latch sensor and that worked.

Then, I wanted to do something cool with chanel 2 so I decided to hook it up to the rear window. I was only able to hook it up for one function so I chose "down" as that would be most convenient. The button has to be held down though. Maybe a timed relay could be installed to fully lower or raise the glass by just pushing the button once. I don't know alot about electronics.

I remember reading about how some people would like an internal switch to raise and lower the rear window while camping. I guess if you already have an alarm installed or plan on installing one it would be pretty cool to run the rear window off of the extra chanels. The other option would be to just install an extra switch in the cab by taping into the wires of the plug going to the relay box for the rear window.

Just wanted to share.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Interesting. Holding it down would not be so bad... if you installed a toggle relay to switch between the the up and down feature. This could easily be done in the back door using the connections to the key switch. You could also do a toggle with latching relay so it would go up and down at the press of a button, just a little more complicated.

I would LOVE this feature as I work out of a first Gen and there are no back doors and I hate gettng the key out to roll down the back window. Great idea. I am an electronics Tech I will look into this. What alarm system did you buy?

Kris
Old 11-28-2008, 02:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a button on inside of the tailgate for the window, it's quite useful as getting out the doors isn't easy with the cargo box I sleep on top of.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:12 AM

It's an older model, a Clifford Ace 100. It was free and it's all I really need for now. Now that it's installed it'll be easier to upgrade in the near future.