86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear window defrost wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my whole regulator and window wiring is shot. The relay isn't even connected it's just wired to the battery and ignition fuse so the car must be on. I have good glass but the bracket that is mounted to the bottom of the glass it rusty and the defrost wires have been cut. Now there's a huge mess of wires all cut up with the harness. I feel like I can add new wires to it and get the stock button to engage it again. My issue is that can I find a new bracket for the glass or maybe still wire it in and try to clean up the original one. Has any one ever messed with this. Another thing I wanna do with my rear tailgate is to get the key to make the window move up and down. Now again all of my wiring is shot in the rear so it'll have to be done differently then stock I can test the key slot and make sure it has continuity in it still and then I guess it's just a mater of connecting it to a power supply. Also if any one needs I have a switch that fits in the original position and works just as the stock one would and looks wise to replace a broken window switch if any one is interested. But please help winter is coming and my giant reverse lights only work so well through a foggy glass
Old 09-19-2015, 03:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
without vehicle info, i can only assume it's a second gen like mine and you might be better off grabbing a whole new tailgate and harness, or at least the harness (but that will take some time) from a junkyard. it unplugs 8-10" inside the body, so just pull the gromet loose where it goes into the body and unplug it by reaching in through the storage door in the left rear.... if your plug isn't still there, may want to just grab the controller and harness up to where it branches to the tail light behind the side trim pannel. can you clarify "it's just wired to the battery and ignition fuse"? so you have a toggle switch going strait to the window motor? you could do the same by wiring a relay into the defroster and defroster switch to turn it on, if it's like a 90, but a momentary would be different. there is a good writeup concerning the window tracks rusting up, etc and other rear window problems, so you should search for that, though i think it might be a sticky... who knows, you might find a good junk yard donor door, take what you need to rebuild yours and sell the shell/window to get some money back.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's 87 sr5 I'll post some pics today I have the panel off right now because I'm building a new one out of wood. The motor does have the switch wired straight to it. And the car must be on for me to be able to roll it down. The junk yards here are scrapped clean of yota parts. If I could find another rail that isn't rusted would I be able to modify it to take the defrost