Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear Window 1988 4Runner no longer functioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Window 1988 4Runner no longer functioning

Having some issues with my rear power window on my 88 4Runner. Just recently it stopped working. I seemed to have tried everything and still can't figure out what the problem is . Wondering if anyone here might have any ideas.

I have removed the hardtop and replaced it with a soft top. The other day
I accidentally hit the rear wiper switch and then turned it off, can't be 100%
sure though if that was the last time I noticed it worked. Would this cause it to stop working?

Things I have tried
1. Tested the motor with 12V power supply goes up and down
2. Tested each switch in the circuit all function perfectly. Only one I didn't test was the cover-top switch
3. Switched out the Relay with another one. (Is there anyway to actually test the relays?)
4. Applying 12V to pins 1 and 3 on the relay connector powers the window motor
5. Doing the test on the relay connector as per the Service Manual produces these results:

8-G: 12V with Ign S/W On - PASS
6-G: Always 12V - PASS
10-G: Always Continuity - PASS
2-G:
a) Continuity with Back Window Limit S/W On - PASS
b) 12V with IGN S/W ON and Back windows limit S/W OFF - FAILS
c) 0V with IGN S/W ON and Back window limit S/W ON - PASS

4-G: 12V with IGN S/W ON and Rear power window switch at FREE position - FAILS
5-G: 12V with IGN S/W ON and Rear power window switch at FREE position - FAILS
11-G: 12V with Backdoor control S/W at FREE position - FAILS
12-G: 12V with Backdoor control S/W at FREE position - FAILS
7-G: 12V with IGN S/W ON - FAIL
7-10: Continuity in the relay with IGN S/W OFF - FAILS
9-G: 12V with rear wiper operated (Hard top removed can't test as no rear wiper)
13-G: Continuity with rear wiper retraction detection S/W ON - (Hard top removed can't test as no rear wiper)

Wiggling the relay while it's connected and the car is running I can feel/hear it clicking

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Toyota4Runner; 07-21-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have to admit, the technicals you've supplied are beyond my knowledge. But, one thing I'd ask you to clarify is if the window was still operational once you swapped out for the soft top. IOW, has the window been working all this time with the soft top on and now it's not?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 AM

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago with my 86 in that the rear window was stuck in the up. I finally found the problem. There is a switch on the driver side that one of the the roof bolts goes into. I cant remember which but if you take off the side cover (that the speaker is in) you will see it. It had tripped and needed resetting. I reset it and it has worked fine since. Also might check that your rear wiper is back in place. If it is not resting in the notch, it cuts the circuit to the rear window.Hope this gets you going.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by thook
I have to admit, the technicals you've supplied are beyond my knowledge. But, one thing I'd ask you to clarify is if the window was still operational once you swapped out for the soft top. IOW, has the window been working all this time with the soft top on and now it's not?
Yes it has been operational since installing the soft top. Used it all summer last year and put it back on in May of this year.

Thanks for the repsonse
Old 07-22-2010, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by OkieRunner
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago with my 86 in that the rear window was stuck in the up. I finally found the problem. There is a switch on the driver side that one of the the roof bolts goes into. I cant remember which but if you take off the side cover (that the speaker is in) you will see it. It had tripped and needed resetting. I reset it and it has worked fine since. Also might check that your rear wiper is back in place. If it is not resting in the notch, it cuts the circuit to the rear window.Hope this gets you going.
That's the only switch I haven't checked out. Somewhat of a PITA to get to. It's the 3rd bolt from the back (including the funny looking one). I don't have the wiper hooked up as it's the soft top on not the hard top, would it still indicate to the system it's on if not connected? Looks like going to have to dig out that switch and test it. Will look at it tonight.

Thanks again
Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 AM
Contributing Member

Is it in the up or down position? (I assume up....) Either way sometimes the tail-gate lock needs to be locked for it to work.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Is it in the up or down position? (I assume up....) Either way sometimes the tail-gate lock needs to be locked for it to work.
I've tested it in both the up and down position. I just hooked up a 12V adapter to the motor and swapped the +ve and -ve on the motor to lower and raise the glass. Lock also engaged when trying it. Doesn't work from both the console nor the rear key switch (going up or going down).

Thanks
Old 07-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Is the rear window lock button engaged in your center console? If is it "locked" I believe it makes both the console switch and the rear key switch in-operable. I have had my soft top on for a couple of months and I occasionally bump the rear window up and down so I know it will work with the top off...BUT I had to bypass that switch in the driver's side panel that detects when the hard top is on.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 PM

That was going to be the suggestion I'd make. That window lock switch has gotten me, and others, more than once.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:01 PM

So I was able to resolve the problem. It ended up being the cover top switch. Removed it and just placed a jumper in the connector. working fine now. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:22 PM

Alright. Nice and easy fix!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 PM

Glad to see it was an easy fix. Did you happen to price that switch? Just curious.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Right on! I didn't know about the window lock. I have the bare bones 85 4runner and I don't think I have it! (I don't even have an odometer or tachometer!!!)