86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear window

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear window

how can i get the rear window down in my second gen when the motor is dead?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 AM

I had to go through the same thing with my runner and this is what I did to get the window down to replace the motor. The problem with these windows most of the time is the gear on the motor gets stripped, so the motor runs but the window doesnt move. First you need to take off all of the paneling on the tailgate, which should be pretty easy. Next if you look inside you will see the motor that moves the window and two arms that connect to the left and the right of the bottom of the window, with a screw driver or something of the sort try to pull or pry the arms downward to help the window move while having some one else push the window button down. If you want to replace the motor then you need to get the window low enough to get the arms to be completly horizontal and pull one off of each side of the track of the window at a time and then the window will slide right out of the tail gate. You then need to remove the screws holding the motor in place and then replace it and put the window back the same way you took it out. When i first checked at a window place they wanted around $200 to replace the motor, but I had a buddy of mine get me a refurbished motor for $35 and changed it out this way and saved a ton of money. Also if you get a refurbished motor, most places that fix them will buy your broken one for $10 or so. I would recommend replacing the motor, it is really simple, but if you just want it down you can try and just pull the window down from the outside while having someone push the button, you can do this without taking anything off. Sorry I dont have any pics, but I hope this helps you.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:35 PM

no thats perfect, i was just wondering if there was way to get the window down, or the inside trim pieces off w/ the window up, thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

you can get at the motor without having to remove the glass. in fact, its much easier with the window in the up position. there are three bolts that you remove and the motor will come out after you unplug the wires.

you can then manually operate the window, this would be a good time to check and lube the mechanism.

lee
Old 08-10-2007, 07:59 AM

actually, i need one more clarification, working at a summer camp in maine for the past 6 weeks interupted any plans of working on the grey beast, is it possible to get the trim peices off with the tailgate up?
Old 08-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Most of the time it is not the motor that "dies":
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml
Old 08-10-2007, 09:01 AM

yes you can pull the panels off with the tail gate up or down or in between. The first panel you can just pry right out they are held in by plastic rivets. You can use you hands to pull it off the panel is held on with about 8 or 10 plastic rivets, they are all along the edges of the panel, if you use your hands be careful take your time due to the fact the panel is made out of a fiberboard it breaks easily if your rough with it. another way to get it off is use a flat head screw driver and slowly pry it up unless you have that special plastic rivet tool, snap-on makes a really nice one. after you get the first panel off then under it is another panel/ acess panel what ever you want to call it. It is held on with about 6 phillpips screw pull it off then you should see the motor right there. And you also might have a layer of plastic to help protect against the glass in b/w there. just pull it off cut it what ever you want. I never put mine back on i saw it kinda pointless to put back on
Old 08-10-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Most of the time it is not the motor that "dies":
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml
What he said. Most of the time it is a relay. One quick and easy to tell it so pull the interior carped cover off of the tailgate, remove the metal plate and then the plastic membrane....disconnect the wires to the window motor. Then apply voltage to the motor side of the wiring harness to see if it moves. If it bumps switch the polarity to see if it goes down.