Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear tires spin out

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear tires spin out

Ok so I ddint know where to post this so please redirect me if this is not the right place. I have An 86 pickup 4x4 with no rear bumper and no spare tire under bed. I give his info because if I'm in 2wd and I try to go up a slight hill in the grass I spin out and go no where. If I try to back up a driveway on a hill I spin out. I don't know if this is normal but this is my first truck like this and I don't know how to approach this issue. Is this normal and how have you guys addressed it? I was thinking it doesn't have limited slip in rear and there is not enough weight in the rear to keep the tires from spinning. Do you think if I put a auto locker in the rear it would help?
Old 03-07-2015, 05:59 PM

sounds like a traction issue, lets start at the ground

What kind of tires do you have on it? All the hardware in the world won't do anything for you if your tires have the traction capability of wenchell's donuts.

If you have decent tires, pick the front tires off the ground and spin them. Do they spin freely, or do you have to force them?

Last edited by Shady Cadence; 03-07-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:09 PM

A spare tire and bumper doesn't weigh that much. What's happening to you is normal for any truck, heavy up front light in the back. How many times are you going up hills? Just use 4wd.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Quite normal .

Getting used to driving the truck might help some .Slow and easy for the most once you break traction your not moving.

As was stated having the correct tires is a big help but if you do this very seldom and most of your driving is on hard surfaces sort of a waste of money.

shift into 4High and be done less chance of breaking things and tearing up someones yard.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Tires and tires. I your still not happy then a locker will improve your traction a lot but if you have crappy tires you will still just spin both at the same time.

Go easy on the loud pedal and see if you can develop the feel. You should almost be able to feel right before traction breaks free and ease off the gas a bit. But there is no shame in putti it in 4wd to avoid tearing up a grass hill. Unless you are using your truck to till up the grass so you can plant a garden. Then post a YouTube video so we can enjoy the show as well.

Post some pictures of you rig or at least the tires so we know what your working with.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the response guys. So this is not my first truck but my first litte truck. I drove a 97 z71 for years and I understand light in the back and easy on gas pedal. So I'll use a side by side comparison. I have older toyo ht tires that prob need to be replaced and my friend driving a 96 s10 single cab with highway tires. Both going up small hill by his house, both same approach and speed, I spin out immediately. Now I use this truck off-road a good bit during deer season and it seems I can't go anywhere in 2wd and when i had my jeeps or even the z71 that wasn't the case. If this is normal for his truck i may look into a locker as well as new tires. Just wanted to see what experience everyone else has had with these trucks.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I also drive a z71. I do believe the v& torque also plays in to it as well. Just kinda have to breath on the gas to go up a hill vs a 22re fully in gear and relying on pure throttle control. And mine and most z71's at least have a limited slip type rear end. Most road type tires and low tread tires will have a traction issue on grass. He'll I slip and fall with tennis shoes on wet grass going up a hill. But with my hunting boots on I feel like a mountain goat. Sounds like you could probably use tires if you cant go anywhere in 2wd. If you have the money to put a locker in you won't regret it.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:11 PM

Ok good I think you guys are reaffirming what I was thinking. I'm going to probably get some good all terrains and maybe a locker if funds allow. And yes my z71 had a limited slip rear. This is the best forum I have ever been on as far as response time and thoughtful responses! everyrhkng I have ever posted has gotten helpful responses. Two thumbs up for this forum. Thanks guys
Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
to me it sounds like you simply need to learn how to drive this truck. sure new tires will have more traction in general and are always good if the old ones need replacing, but IMO you should learn to control the setup as-is and go from there because this should still not be happening on dry pavement. if it's a weight issue over the rear wheels, try keeping a full gas tank or add weight in back and see if it helps. could even be as simple as feathering out the clutch more instead of letting it dump at the end of the stroke and lose traction.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:11 PM

It sounds like you need a little more weight over the rear tires and some new rubber on there. Lunchbox lockers are fairly inexpensive though, so if you are looking for a price quote on them let us know!