Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear Suspension '87 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carlspeed
I gotcha, so basically adding the Zuk spring makes the leaf springs effectively brand new again...?
It doesn't really make them like "new". I like to think of them as leaf spring helpers. Your springs are very worn out. I don't think toyota compensated for the extra weight of the 4runner's rear over the pickup= saggy rear end over time.

It is definitely the most cost effective solution out there. They're going to relieve your leaf springs from a lot of weight, give you a better ride, and the shorter coils (12''?) will give you a couple inches of lift....so back to stock height. My 14 inch coils brought it back to stock height plus 2 inches or so.

ingenious idea in my opinion and any one with a cutting utensil, a jack and torch and hammer can do it.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the aal's? Add a link?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:35 PM

If I did the 14" ones, is there an equally easy way to jack up the front an additional 2" to compensate and get a little lift while I'm already at it? I'm a modifying type of guy, and I hate putting things back to stock.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM

You could add ball joint spacers in the front to level it out a bit...
Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ball joint spacers would raise the front.
or yo could try cranking up your t-bars to get some lift.

i did the zuk mod with 80's jeep coils and didnt have to cut anything, lifted the back up quite i bit where i then cranked my t-bars sum.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I vote for the BJ Spacers. Crainking the T bars will gain you height, but you will loose flex and ride quality.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 04-05-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If I did the 14" ones, is there an equally easy way to jack up the front an additional 2" to compensate and get a little lift while I'm already at it? I'm a modifying type of guy, and I hate putting things back to stock.
ball joint spacers are your best bet. 14 inch coils and 1.5 or 2 inch ball joint spacers would match nicely.

two guys make them that I like(theres others...just dont know of them) http://4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BallJointSpacer.shtml

http://www.wabfab.org/IFS-Lift-Kits/...ypage.tpl.html

longer shocks are reccomended, but I didnt and Im doing fine.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:55 PM

We'll see. I'll think about it over the next couple of days. The truck really isn't going to be off roaded since I have a quad... And I think if I raise it up I'm going to want bigger tires, which I cannot afford. Looks like the Zuk 12" springs are going to be thrown on order here next week when I have time to actually install them.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I gotcha, so basically adding the Zuk spring makes the leaf springs effectively brand new again...?
You'll swear that it seems BETTER than brand new factory packs afterwards
Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 PM

What is the aal's? Add a link?
add-a-leaf,i went with the zuk mod i must admit.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:02 PM

zuk...you would think yotatechers would get some sort of discount with all the zuk mods done with those springs!!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 AM

If I was to get leaf springs and put them on instead, minus the price, is there any benefit either way to doing the Zuk mod?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:31 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
not having to hack at your bump stops, IMO more of a factory (better) ride with replacement leafs depending on brand. Possible safety inspection issues with the ZUK coils. Yours is a FL truck so I won't bring up the PITA rust/corrosion issue to get the factory leaf springs out.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 AM

Ok, so this is my first post, but I know a little bit about suspensions and I just bought a 4runner with this particular mod on it and I felt like giving my .02.

I read earlier in the post that you thought that you might need new shocks to lift your back end up, and the knowledgeable parties on here informed you that you do not. That is a true statement because the shock doesn't perform the "lifting" for the suspension.

The shocks job is to dampen the "springyness" (is that a word?) of the leaf springs. In other words, a spring's tendency, be it a leaf spring or coil spring is to come back to shape as quickly as it can after being compressed or extended. So when you hit a bump with bad shocks, you will get a lot of bounce. A good shock slows down that bounce.

The previous owner of my truck performed the Zuk mod and coupled it with a new set of longer shocks. (he went with the 14" coils) The ride is excellent and I'm still smiling about how good of an idea it is for such a low cost. Now I just need to do the BJ spacers in the front and my lift (for now) will be complete.

I know that this was a bit long winded, but the more you know, the better off you are.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
^^^^^ Good first post.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:22 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by NJRunner86
Ok, so this is my first post, but I know a little bit about suspensions and I just bought a 4runner with this particular mod on it and I felt like giving my .02.

I read earlier in the post that you thought that you might need new shocks to lift your back end up, and the knowledgeable parties on here informed you that you do not. That is a true statement because the shock doesn't perform the "lifting" for the suspension.

The shocks job is to dampen the "springyness" (is that a word?) of the leaf springs. In other words, a spring's tendency, be it a leaf spring or coil spring is to come back to shape as quickly as it can after being compressed or extended. So when you hit a bump with bad shocks, you will get a lot of bounce. A good shock slows down that bounce.

The previous owner of my truck performed the Zuk mod and coupled it with a new set of longer shocks. (he went with the 14" coils) The ride is excellent and I'm still smiling about how good of an idea it is for such a low cost. Now I just need to do the BJ spacers in the front and my lift (for now) will be complete.

I know that this was a bit long winded, but the more you know, the better off you are.
Agreed...good 1st post

Just curious NJRunner86, is the upper steel stopper cut short?(to about 1 inch) It's usually best to do that to minimize coil bind and noises when they cycle. The longer 14" coils cannot ever loosen up in a stockish Runner so falling out is not an issue. With the shorter 12 inch....it's best to let the wheel drop to it's max and measure/verify that those are not an issue.
ZUK
Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 AM

Hey guys, just to clarify, new stiffer shocks will raise the suspension. When the shock starts to die out, the rebound abilities are affected negatively and the shock will not rebound like new. I'm not saying that the shock will add 2" of lift, but a weak shock will cost a half inch or so of height. Case in point, an autocross car I had gained 3/4" all around when I replaced the shocks only.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 AM

Zuk,
I'm not sure, I will have to look. I've spent most of my free time since owning my truck on here learning about all of the mods I can do. All of my experience is with chevys and jeeps. Now that I own a 'yota', I can see why they have such a following.

I will take a look at the springs this afternoon. Do you have a pic for reference? I can take one of mine and post it for reference relevant to this thread and so that you can give the head nod that it was done right.

Kudos again on such a great idea!

Carlspeed,
I agree that new shocks will help a little bit, but by design, the springs are what do all of the work for the actual lifting.

Last edited by NJRunner86; 04-06-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a set of AAL I need outa my garage for $20,, I did the Zuk Mod with some Acura TL lowering springs and didn't have to cut anything...
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to add some fire here. Do the Zuk mod!!!!!

I've done it on two rigs and it worked great each time.

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension '87 4runner