86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear sag fix with no lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rear sag fix with no lift?

My '95 has the typical weak rear springs; I want to put in a set of springs that will be able to take a load - not lift the truck at an odd angle that requires BJ spacers OR T-Bar cranking - not sag again in 18 to 24 months of use. I want a stock height ride, possibly a little higher in back would be acceptable with the ability to carry a moderately heavy load.

I checked NAPA & they have springs for $90 a set, not heavy duty just regular OEM variable rate springs. I have heard from threads on here they had HD coils, but they claim they don't. I was looking at Old Man Emu springs from TRDparts but the 1.5" lift characteristics seem like they'd lift the back too high, but since I can't see the vehicle with stock front & a set of OME springs & shocks in the back I can't picture it accurately (my mind says it'll look ridiculous).

See my problem? Sometimes I'm not very good at getting a coherent thought through in print (or speech) & it takes me a bit of detailing to get it right. I'll give my specific situation....

My wife is a rural mail carrier & may use my 4Runner on occasion, as it is now it bottoms out with a full tank of gas & a load of mail in it. I want the vehicle to be able to handle the load yet still not sit like a 70's hot rod with air shocks in the back. Since I haven't seen different shock/spring combinatios installed with my own two eyes, I'm thinking stock OEM springs will be too soft & wear out again, & the OME & Downey HD types 1.5" lift will be too much lift.

Any spring/shock combo suggestions?.....other than "use the search button" believe me I have been using it every visit since I joined; & searching with Google too.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's an idea right there. Use some air shocks in the back! When she loads it down, boost it up a little. With no load, let it back down just a little! If you just replace the springs, you'll still have a saggin' rear with a load, but atleast with the air, you can compensate. Good idea, you came up with it yourself!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:54 AM

Well funny enough I caught this thread. I just installed an airlift 100 on my dads 02 tahoe and will install the same kit for my 02 4Runer today. The up side is they are btwn $70-$90 and take 1-2 hours to install. That being said you could just replace your worn springs with new OE springs and add the air bags and tada your done with not lift but plenty of load holding capability. We tow with the tahoe and it has a leveling kit so the darn trailer just pulls it down and the bags are cheap and amazing.

Aaron
Old 01-24-2008, 05:00 AM

I don't think the 1.5 will raise it much if any there are a few older threads that cover this.

the truck I have now has a helper spring in it when I got it home and removed what was left of the bed it raised about a inch or two then when I built my flat bed and lumber rack it leveled out
Old 01-24-2008, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put AirLift bags in my ome HD-901's. There are designed for stock height though. I get 1.5" lift out of them when I'm loaded down. It would be a simple C-note fix. Read my whole suspension change info here.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
I don't think the 1.5 will raise it much if any there are a few older threads that cover this.

the truck I have now has a helper spring in it when I got it home and removed what was left of the bed it raised about a inch or two then when I built my flat bed and lumber rack it leveled out
Several months ago I ran across a thread where someone was doing a lift & they had pics of the truck with the back done but not the front. My only problem is I can't remember what springs they went with in the back, what the truck looked like with the back done but not the front & I can't find the thread again. If they were using 1.5" lift springs such as the OME-901 & I could see those pics again it would answer my question as to whether or not to go stock or HD. I don't mind the truck having SOME rake I just don't want it to look retarded & force me to lift the front.

Air ride suspension is a non-starter for me folks; I've had rides in the past that had air shocks & even air bags...not for me.

(of course these are coil springs I'm talking about; thought I'd throw that out there before anyone suggests add a leaf)
Old 01-24-2008, 05:28 AM

it will lift it we had a 95 with the all pro 1.5"'s and it was mildy not cool looking we had to crank the t-bars. I'd go stock if you don't want to lift it. Though the ride wasn't that bad with the t-bars cranked and the 1.5" all pro springs. No pictures of course cause I'm an idiot.

Aaron
Old 01-24-2008, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

here is what you want:
Performance Products 1" progressive Springs. mine now have 20,000kms and are still providing the height and strength as they were when i first had thm installed. Here are my Before and After shots

Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 AM

Yes Belize off road team...I believe that is exactly what I'm after! I noticed you had to move the brake valve, anything else to consider?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 AM

Mine sat about the same with the Downey springs. I went HD - if you don't haul a lot more weight get the normal springs. HD was great on the road - no lean and rear didn't drop with load but off road it was stiff.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

there was nothing else that i had to do. that piece for the brake cable came with the coils from performance products. just order the 1" lift coils by performance products and the only things you get/need is that one piece and some decals and instuctions.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

And Performance Products coils are CHEAPER than Downey or anyother well proven coils. like i said, my coils have 20,000kms and i have to say that the ride is 100% improved and looks fantastic. they are nicer and stronger than Napa coils which sag after awhile (We ran them in the company 4Runner). and i you by any coils that say they are rated for anything other than 1" you need to buy new shocks as well.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

now on the Performance Products website, it no longer shows the 1" lift coil springs, but i know they sell them. so an email or phone call might be how you would find out about them.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/0108suv_level/index.html

Now i give these coils 50 stars out of 10, thats how well these coils have been performing for me. They are not a super stiff coil, you do feel the bumps alittle more. They can handle alot of weight. i have carried about 500pounds of tiles. so much so that the rear wheel wells were JUST hanging above the tires! i was like you, i wanted lift but not alot and not so much i needed new things. so i found these, and they where perfect, not a great lift that i needed new shocks (replaced them anyway due to age of old ones) and enough to raise the back up and get rid of the saggy rear and there for improve my departure angle. Good luck, i hope i have helped you make a desicion.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:06 AM

They had them online, just can't get to it by navigating there from the menu. They are already ordered & they had a good deal on the Bils for the back too so I ordered a set for the back.

http://www.performanceproducts4truck...spx?pid=104589

BTW...THANK YOU AGAIN! That is 100% what I was looking for including the pics to see the result.

Last edited by Brenjen; 01-24-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

You welcome, i hope you enjoy those as much as i do. You will notice a HUGE difference in appearance and in ride as soon as they are installed. My grandfather said i shoud not have put them on and i said they will look good and be better for Belize. and after i got them installed, he changed his mind. Don't forget to post up pics of when you get them installed
Old 01-24-2008, 06:29 PM

That place ships fast too;When I posted it was already ordered it was within five minutes of placing it & I have a tracking number in my email already. Same day shipping is what I like to see!
Old 01-26-2008, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

shouldn't be to long before it's at your door then. i had to wait around 2 weeks cause i was in Canada when i orderd them and i had to pay a rediculous amount for duty, even though the duty free laws applied I still had to pay. Post your pics when you get them and when you get them installed
Old 01-26-2008, 07:06 AM

If you want to go the cheapest/easiest route, get a set of stock springs from a Jeep TJ.Very common to find free or very cheap sicne so many people replace them.
I guess it is the rear springs? Whichever are shorter and have the little curl at the top.
If you want a little lift, use the whole thing. Or cut it down to just teh right height you want.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brenjen,
the reason 1.5'' is suggested is this... look at my truck. ugly ass sag right? (im bashin my truck for you lol) well i got out there the other day, took some measurements and its only HALF AN INCH difference. so if you fix that half inch, its still gonna look saggy. thats why if you raise it an inch more than that(were only talking about an inch here...) it will look back to stock.

Quick Reply: rear sag fix with no lift?