Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear mount turbo 3vze finished

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just noticed this, but your AFR sensor needs to be mounted post turbo. Can't remember the pitfalls or pre-turbo. You might look into it. 3vz sounds sweet. Are you running a muffler after the turbo? Sounds so much better with a cat on. I'm considering putting mine back in. The rasp and stank is killing me.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vasinvictor
Just noticed this, but your AFR sensor needs to be mounted post turbo. Can't remember the pitfalls or pre-turbo. You might look into it. 3vz sounds sweet. Are you running a muffler after the turbo? Sounds so much better with a cat on. I'm considering putting mine back in. The rasp and stank is killing me.
No muffler on it but my turbo is after my cat and i thought you cant mount your afr after the cat
Old 07-02-2014, 05:53 PM

Got a quick question either my turbo is to small and just cant charge all the pipe or my exhaust is to big and i dont have enough velocity because even all the way to floor at like 4k rpm it wont make more than 4psi in 3rd or 4th gear or any gear for that matter. I really want to do twin turbo right after the collector on both sides and use a another CT26 like the supra did. Or just get a single turbo to work well.

Could the Trim effect this greatly because its a 40 trim i heard it can make a big difference

Last edited by Turbopickup24; 07-02-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:45 PM

I'm not good at picking tubos at all. I had help picking mine. I seriously doubt it's too small. Are you sure your wastegate isn't partially stuck open? What spring do you have in it? What are you referencing to your wastegate? Do you have a boost controller?

edit: I see you have an internally gated turbo which pretty much sucks. I wouldn't trust that "8psi" setting for anything. I'll bet your wastegate is to blame. See if you can run a bigger spring in it, or put a boost controller on it. I have a 5lb spring in my external gate, but without a boost controller I only make 2lb.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 07-02-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:21 AM

I'm not good at picking tubos at all. I had help picking mine. I seriously doubt it's too small. Are you sure your wastegate isn't partially stuck open? What spring do you have in it? What are you referencing to your wastegate? Do you have a boost controller?

edit: I see you have an internally gated turbo which pretty much sucks. I wouldn't trust that "8psi" setting for anything. I'll bet your wastegate is to blame. See if you can run a bigger spring in it, or put a boost controller on it. I have a 5lb spring in my external gate, but without a boost controller I only make 2lb.
Ill try getting a boost controler. Since my waste gate cant be opened and see how that works
Old 07-05-2014, 09:38 PM

Tuning with the vane type air flow meter wont be easy. From the extensive research I did on doing a turbo 5M on my Supra using the factory computer, its just not worth it. You can switch to a megasquirt or DIYPNP and delete the VAFM. You can adjust the fuel mixture a bit with the VAFM but, it would just be a balance between running okay on and off boost.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:22 AM

What's new ˟˟˟˟˟cat?

Last edited by vasinvictor; 07-12-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: it's tom jones ya silly filter
Old 07-12-2014, 03:53 PM

What's new ˟˟˟˟˟cat?
Got a all aluminum 3 row radiator and its fantastic. Other than that not much pulled a 2900lb trailer to el dorado hills cruising 70. And averaged 12mpg.

As for turbo stuff im going to get mega squirt soon because the stock ecm just doesnt ad enough fuel under boost and isnt tune able.

What are you using for snorkle im going camping in a few days and i need to make somthing for the water crossings.

Last edited by Turbopickup24; 07-12-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Turbopickup24
Got a all aluminum 3 row radiator and its fantastic. Other than that not much pulled a 2900lb trailer to el dorado hills cruising 70. And averaged 12mpg.

As for turbo stuff im going to get mega squirt soon because the stock ecm just doesnt ad enough fuel under boost and isnt tune able.

What are you using for snorkle im going camping in a few days and i need to make somthing for the water crossings.
Welcome to the our world of untuneable ECUs. I wish I could be like my friend's Camaros and go down the street and get a tune. I am not using any snorkel setup still. I'm thinking of using some more PVC, it's been serving me well for my charge pipe. Fortunately my local trails don't have a lot of deep water crossings or there is always an alternate route. Search "clownmeat rear turbo". He was my inspiration for rear mount turbo and has a pretty neat intake snorkel setup.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:37 PM

Welcome to the our world of untuneable ECUs. I wish I could be like my friend's Camaros and go down the street and get a tune. I am not using any snorkel setup still. I'm thinking of using some more PVC, it's been serving me well for my charge pipe. Fortunately my local trails don't have a lot of deep water crossings or there is always an alternate route. Search "clownmeat rear turbo". He was my inspiration for rear mount turbo and has a pretty neat intake snorkel setup.
Do you know anyone who used budbuilt traction bar i guess i have like 4" of wrap had another toyota guy watch it when i was driving didnt know it was that bad.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:48 PM

What's the latest?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:56 PM

so intrested in this but got lost when u started talking about pcv and 7th inj....
Old 08-21-2014, 08:31 AM

What's the latest?
I took the turbo off to rebuild it again its burning oil. And to source a better scavenging pump because the shurflo isnt keeping up over 3 grand as the oil pressure increases. And need to do somthing about fuel managment need more of it. And with a baby on the way moneys tight.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:34 AM

I hear you. I used the "boost doctor" pump off Ebay. All metal gears and has been working great. $150 IIRC Methanol on a hobbs switch is your cheapest extra fueling option. About $300 for a cheap setup. Sucks about the turbo seals.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:37 AM

Once i get my bonus im possibly looking into twin turbo one off of each bank at the collector up front for a faster spool. But its only a idea.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 AM

I hear you. I used the "boost doctor" pump off Ebay. All metal gears and has been working great. $150 IIRC Methanol on a hobbs switch is your cheapest extra fueling option. About $300 for a cheap setup. Sucks about the turbo seals.
The methanol works for extra fuel? I thought you had to have actual gas such as altered fuel maps or larger injector so on and so forth.

The only issue i see with meth is running out some were and not having anywhere to get some thats my only concern. As for your scavenging pump i cant find it on ebay. Do you have a link?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM

u have any videos of it when it was running?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Electric-Oil-Scavenge-Pump-for-Remote-Low-Rear-Mount-Turbo-Return-Line-12v-/280782665954?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415ff378e2&vxp=mtr
Works well, a little noisy, but nature of the beast...

Methanol works very very well for fueling actually. I'm spraying 22gph from 2 nozzles at 14lb boost. AFRs are high 11s and touch on 12.1 at redline. Stock EVERYTHING. I'm using a very nice and expensive progressive controller with 2 failsafes. You could use a cheap universal kit, a 14gph nozzle on a 1psi hobbs switch. You can set your methanol tank up with a float switch, so when it's low you can trigger a http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAC-Boost-solenoid-valve-BCS-35A-AAA-DDBA-1BA-compatible-with-most-ECUs-EMS-PWM-/331006948808?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d118d35c8&vxp=mtr to cut to wastegate spring pressure. That's how mine is set up and I have a 2lb wastegate spring so when I'm out of meth, or somethign goes wrong, boost cuts to 2psi instantly, thus saving motor.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 AM

I pretty easily fit a 2 gallon Devil's own tank in my rig and I'm rarely into boost. I can make 2 gallons last weeks. After making 6 or 7 passes at the track, I've only used 1/3 or less of the tank. FWIW
Old 08-21-2014, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by pajamawally04
u have any videos of it when it was running?
I do there should be a link to my photobucket on one of the pages or you. Can go to my page (traxxasfreak24) and see pictures of it

Quick Reply: Rear mount turbo 3vze finished