86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear heater not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear heater not working

On my 92 4runner, the rear heater is not working. No power to it. Any ideas? Where is the fuse and the relay located? Can't seem to find anything about it on any of the searches.....
Old 10-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Relay Block #3 located under the right kick panel. Relay is top left looking at the block. The rear heater is fed off of the 20 amp heater fuse bottom left! (the 40amp is for the front heater) There is also a resistor in this circuit, this is how you get the two speeds and it will be located under the center console close to the heater and the 2 speed switch. If the 20 amp fuse is blown first check the resistor, it's probably shorted to ground. If the 20 amp fuse is intact and the heater still doesn't work, the coil side of the relay is fed off of the 10a. gauge fuse via the integration relay. Are there any other circuits not working? A faulty integration relay (underside of Junction Block #1 under left kick panel) can affect other circuits also.

Last edited by Hadmatt54; 10-13-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 AM

The only other issue I have is w/ the cruise control. Dash light shows that it is on, but it does not work. Everything else seems to be working fine. I don't think the two are related...
Hadmatt, thanks for the info, I will be pulling the right (passenger side) kick panel off and checking the relay and the fuses. I pulled the center console and did not see any problems. Just no power to the blower.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hadmatt54
Relay Block #3 located under the right kick panel. Relay is top left looking at the block. The rear heater is fed off of the 20 amp heater fuse bottom left! (the 40amp is for the front heater) There is also a resistor in this circuit, this is how you get the two speeds and it will be located under the center console close to the heater and the 2 speed switch. If the 20 amp fuse is blown first check the resistor, it's probably shorted to ground. If the 20 amp fuse is intact and the heater still doesn't work, the coil side of the relay is fed off of the 10a. gauge fuse via the integration relay. Are there any other circuits not working? A faulty integration relay (underside of Junction Block #1 under left kick panel) can affect other circuits also.
O.K> pulled the right kick panel, nothing there but the ECU. So, do you mean the left kick panel? On the fuse cover, there is no mention of a heater fuse. I have checked all of the fuses, and none are blown. The front heater works off of the gauges fuse, as when I pull it, the front heater stops.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:00 PM

anyone else have ANY ideas????
Old 10-20-2010, 07:00 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hadmatt54
Hadmatt was close, the relays are located above the kick panel on the right side. You need to remove the glove box in oreder to access the relays and the fuse. Finally took it upon myself to dig into it, as I never received any correct answers to my post. So, now we know where the relays are located. FYI, the previous owner removed the relay to the rear heater, I found it under the passenger seat. It was corroded, I tried cleaning it, but to no avail. Went to the bone yard and found another one. Installed it and I now have the rear heater working.