Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear drum proper adjustment questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear drum proper adjustment questions

Hey all,

1995 4runner 4WD v6 5 speed (2nd gen). Recently rebuilt rear drums though prior to rebuilding I noticed some drag on the drivers side rear drum causing it to heat up. Figuring it was just due to the age I went ahead with new shoes, springs, drums, and wheel cylinders; apon completion I pulled the e brake cable enough to tighten it up (before which i'd left both star wheels in their "smallest" positions) once again the rear drivers side drum heats up and seems to drag. Is the e brake suppose to adjust them evenly? Would one of the rear cables be stretched causing it to adjust unevenly? Or am I supposed to adjust the brakes individually via the star wheels before bringing up the slack in the cable? One more thing to note: I recently replaced the front parking brake cable, afterwhich this whole heating up affair started. Oh and despite this being a 4WD model it has the 2 rear parking cables as opposed to the 1 with the bellcranks on the 4WD models shown in my Haynes manual. Very wordy, I know. Anyways any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2016, 11:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Are you sure you don`t have a bearing problem instead of a brake problem??

If you did not adjust your rear brakes manually after installing the new shoes I am surprised you had a good pedal

unless you now have the Parking brake adjusted up tight instead of the shoes adjusted correct

There should be no tension on the parking brake cable when it is off.

My 92 4Runner has the same set up When I bought it I needed to replace all the parking brake cables

Your talking the drum getting hot enough things start smoking and the brake lining is burning giving off that sweet smell??

When things were apart how did the brake cables feel did the both move free??

When I change brake shoes I install the new parts adjust the shoes I never touch the Parking brake but to disconnect and reconnect the hardware all adjusting is with the adjusters .

Where the adjusters replaced or at least cleaned and lubed ??

Just what brand parts did you use I have had cheap China built wheel cylinders not work correct after a few miles
Old 11-03-2016, 07:05 AM

I'm unsure if it's a bearing problem.
There doesnt seem to be any smoke. Though there is a bit of a brake smell. I can feel the heat through the lug nuts.
I only adjusted the parkign brake and not the shoes as I was under the impression that the parking brake was used to adjust the shoes.
When everything was removed the cables moved freely and didnt seem to bind.
I only had a decent pedal feel after pulling the p-brake some 50 times.
Previously when I had back off the shoes manually on the one side it stopped heating up till i used the parking brake to tension everything.
I'm assuming that I should probably adjust the shoes manually instead of relying on the parking brake method?
Old 11-03-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I can`t say I never have done it anyway but to adjust the shoes with the adjusters

You did clean and lube the adjusters and make sure all the parts were there.

If the adjuster lever is not limiting the adjuster to one click per parking brake application it will soon have the shoes tight and dragging to the point the drum no longer turns most people catch it before that
Old 11-03-2016, 02:01 PM

All the parts are there and I cleaned and lubed up the adjuster as well as the friction points . Readjusted the rear brakes so I'll ride it out for a few days and see how it goes. Could have been just a mistake by me! I'll let y'all know
Old 11-14-2016, 06:39 PM

Alright, after about a week of driving the rear brakes dont seem to be sticking or overheating, so I guess by adjusting manually at first till there was some friction then using the e-brake for general parking : things adjusted properly. Thanks for taking the time to help, friends!