Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear Coils Zuk Mod on Stock 1st Gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Coils Zuk Mod on Stock 1st Gen 4runner

Hello guys,

So I recently got around to installing a set of J--p TJ front springs on the bump stops of my rear axle to alleviate rear end sag. The height with just the springs was way too high (about 6.5" lift) but after cutting two coils I am fairly pleased, although I think I need to cut another half or so because my u-joints are vibrating in first gear under acceleration. Does anyone have any experience and advice for this problem?

Here are the pics:

This is how the 4runner looks stock
Name:  20130317_150839.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  225.6 KB

Here is the first height with the springs installed, way too high
Name:  20130317_175833.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  274.1 KB

This is after the springs had been cut two coils
Name:  20130317_193555.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  222.9 KB

I wouldn't recommend compressing your springs this way but I had to get creative. No Schucks nearby. I was very careful and went extremely slow
Name:  20130317_170722.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  95.4 KB

Here you can see what I did to drop the axle. I first removed my shocks from their bottom mount and then while supporting the axle removed the bolts at the front of the leaf springs. Be careful not to let your axle hang by the brake line
Name:  20130317_164515.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  96.6 KB

Overall height difference was 3.5 inches at the rear bumper.

NOW, can anyone advise me on how to keep the springs from making sounds when the suspension articulates?

I'm not sure at the moment how much I like this mod. I really like the ride height of the vehicle and the idea that I will never hit a bump stop again, but on the down side, the springs twang when I articulate, my u-joints seem to be disgruntled, and the entire rear of the vehicle seems to sway more than it did before, which is to be expected. I think a solution to two of these problems would be to cut one more coil. Ideas?

Name:  20130317_193555.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  222.9 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130317_193555.jpg (222.9 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by 2clean; 03-18-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 PM

DId the top of the spring fit around the bumpstop on the frame? Mine creak, not so much twang, but not all the time. I live with it and it doesn't do it as much with weight on. I used 14" TJ coils cut to 12". As far as the U-joint, having your axle riding lower in relation to the transfer case means the u-joint is turning on a steeper angle. SO your joint could've been worn out before but it wasn't obvious until you made it work at that steeper than usual angle. Probably replace it.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by derockus
DId the top of the spring fit around the bumpstop on the frame? Mine creak, not so much twang, but not all the time. I live with it and it doesn't do it as much with weight on. I used 14" TJ coils cut to 12". As far as the U-joint, having your axle riding lower in relation to the transfer case means the u-joint is turning on a steeper angle. SO your joint could've been worn out before but it wasn't obvious until you made it work at that steeper than usual angle. Probably replace it.
Yeah it's the same noise I'm sure. They do fit over both the top and bottom of the bump stop.

Alright, that is great advice on the u-joint. My first thought was that maybe because the u-joint is being used differently, in a different position, that it's like changing your grandmother's lazy boy.

I still think I want to cut the springs more. I can even feel that I sit different in the seat, which I'm not too fond of. I almost like the raked back feel of a 4x4 but I think eventually I will get the correct support and ride height. I hate hitting the bump stops and I like to occasionally tow a boat to the dock. Do you have full vehicle pictures of your 4funner?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2clean

Do you have full vehicle pictures of your 4funner?
Check my signature,
Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by derockus
Check my signature,
Yeah thanks man, I did. Nice runner, and I am more excited to keep the Zuk Mod but I will be cutting it a little more tomorrow
Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Looking good man. don't forget post up the final pics and measurements
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 2clean
Yeah it's the same noise I'm sure. They do fit over both the top and bottom of the bump stop.

Alright, that is great advice on the u-joint. My first thought was that maybe because the u-joint is being used differently, in a different position, that it's like changing your grandmother's lazy boy.

I still think I want to cut the springs more. I can even feel that I sit different in the seat, which I'm not too fond of. I almost like the raked back feel of a 4x4 but I think eventually I will get the correct support and ride height. I hate hitting the bump stops and I like to occasionally tow a boat to the dock. Do you have full vehicle pictures of your 4funner?
The noise on the u-joints could very well be axle wrap. The more the rear gets lifted and lightens the load that the leafs have to support, the more the tendency of the leafs to twist up under torque.....they are no longer resting on each other. My solution(springboard anti-wrap clamp) for that here and it works 100% with no issues -----
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...f-leaf-225251/

If the creaking is a prob then why not do the original mod which is to use the skinny coils(2.5" inside dia), 12 or 14 inch long, 125 pounds/inch rating, and cut the upper steel stopper to about 1 inch long and no longer than that. The result is a smooth, quiet ride....a very soft ride with no twangs. The 14 inch coils are reported to give 4~4.5 inch lift.....

http://gearinstalls.com/cman1.htm

http://gearinstalls.com/duckie.htm

.....but a little cutting wheel can tweak that to whatever Using the skinny coils means the lower rubber snubbers have to be in good condition. If the coils do not drop down all the way where steel meets steel then the corners of the rubber can be high speed sanded to clearance them....that greatly helps reduce the overall strain the rubber sees when it doesn't have to support the weight of the Runner itself.

where to get the coils from.... http://gearinstalls.com/coilinfo.htm

Last edited by ZUK; 03-19-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZUK
The noise on the u-joints could very well be axle wrap. The more the rear gets lifted and lightens the load that the leafs have to support, the more the tendency of the leafs to twist up under torque.....they are no longer resting on each other. My solution(springboard anti-wrap clamp) for that here and it works 100% with no issues -----

If the creaking is a prob then why not do the original mod which is to use the skinny coils(2.5" inside dia), 12 or 14 inch long, 125 pounds/inch rating, and cut the upper steel stopper to about 1 inch long and no longer than that. The result is a smooth, quiet ride....a very soft ride with no twangs. The 14 inch coils are reported to give 4~4.5 inch lift.....

http://gearinstalls.com/cman1.htm

http://gearinstalls.com/duckie.htm

.....but a little cutting wheel can tweak that to whatever Using the skinny coils means the lower rubber snubbers have to be in good condition. If the coils do not drop down all the way where steel meets steel then the corners of the rubber can be high speed sanded to clearance them....that greatly helps reduce the overall strain the rubber sees when it doesn't have to support the weight of the Runner itself.

where to get the coils from.... http://gearinstalls.com/coilinfo.htm

I'm getting ready to do this on my pickup (3" blocks on the springs), I have the 14" 2.5" springs, new condition lower bumpstops. Looks like you are saying to cut the upper steel stop down to 1", just want to make sure, I've seen some on here and they have 3" after cutting their upper blocks, thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ZUK
Can you give me an idea of where to find the piece of spring to get the anti-wrap? I like this idea. I am going to cut a little more of the springs off which might help. It still sits too high for me. As for the other mod, I think I will wait and see what happens. After a couple of days now the sound has started to disappear... Thanks for the info!!