Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Bumpers for 86 Pickup - Plate Style?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Bumpers for 86 Pickup - Plate Style?

Hey all,

I'm searching out options for a rear bumper for my 86 Pickup.

Bringing this up from the dead, but does anyone have one of Curley's bumpers?? https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...umpers-217961/

Those are just about exactly what I'm after.

I'm also interested in body armor around the rear panels similar to this one by 4xInnovations: http://www.4xinnovations.com/84-89-4...mper_p_62.html

Tow points in line with frame mounts and an integrated receiver are key priorities.

Anyone have options they recommend?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You know what you want .

Have some one close to you build it

That being if you can`t build it yourself.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:35 AM

I'm starting to believe that might be the best option. I have a buddy who does fabrication and likes to drink beer, so we could make a day out of it.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Curley only did one run of those bumper. He was a local advertising on CL first when I ordered a customized one from him and He also found YT to sell a few.

It's a simple design and made from bent plate in order to get that angled lower section, but I suppose one could weld it from individual plates too. I was originally going to DIY my bumper but Curleys was a great price. I made a nice simple bumper for my old k5 blazer out of C-channel. I was going to use either that again or some rectangle tube and integrate the hitch and tow points through to the frame. Many trucks in my area have simple bumpers like this. I suppose Demello Offroad Tacoma bumper was one of my inspirations, check his out its pretty simple.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:56 AM

Yeah I've been able to find some history of it on this forum, pavementsucks (not heard of that one before), and on Facebook.

Question for you since I've seen your pictures with it, how does the towing receiver work out? Ever had to "use" the bumper i.e. bumped something?

I'm not looking to tow serious stuff, just would like to have the option and feel confident about it. For a trailer full of yard waste, pulling kayaks, etc.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I haven't "hit" anything yet with it, but I've hooked up to the tow hitch a few times. It's so high up compared to my stock bumper that I haven't even dragged it on anything yet. I typically avoid that type of rock crawling/wheeling since I don't have a front locker, high clearance crossmember or tcase gears.

The Curley bumper is 3/16" thick plate, which is typical bumper thickness. Mine has the bedside protection, with a leg going back to the frame plates to triangulate things and add strength. I'm not sure what sort of triangulation he put on the regular bumper, but I assume there was something to add strength for any sideways force.

If building one, you could get away with 1/4" but it'd be slightly overkill and heavier, if you manage to bend 1/4" bumper then you better be checking your frame for damage. There is no "back" to the bumper, which is how you reach the pin holes on the receiver. If you made it from rectangle tube, you'll likely have to cut a hole so you can use the receiver pins, or relocate things further outward/inward so you have access to the pin somewhere.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
I haven't "hit" anything yet with it, but I've hooked up to the tow hitch a few times. It's so high up compared to my stock bumper that I haven't even dragged it on anything yet. I typically avoid that type of rock crawling/wheeling since I don't have a front locker, high clearance crossmember or tcase gears.

The Curley bumper is 3/16" thick plate, which is typical bumper thickness. Mine has the bedside protection, with a leg going back to the frame plates to triangulate things and add strength. I'm not sure what sort of triangulation he put on the regular bumper, but I assume there was something to add strength for any sideways force.

If building one, you could get away with 1/4" but it'd be slightly overkill and heavier, if you manage to bend 1/4" bumper then you better be checking your frame for damage. There is no "back" to the bumper, which is how you reach the pin holes on the receiver. If you made it from rectangle tube, you'll likely have to cut a hole so you can use the receiver pins, or relocate things further outward/inward so you have access to the pin somewhere.
Highonpottery I just looked around for some pics of your rear bumper side armor, can you post one up?

I just started another thread...Curley is considering another run if we can get enough interested buyers!