Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear axle vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
funny mine does a similar thing. when i bring it up to speed to right around 58mph it starts that noise and vibration.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:05 PM

Well, the problem is not fixed yet. The new bearings did not fix it, eventhough the old ones had play. Right now I am replacing all bushings with poly ones. Any other ideas or experience from this is still appreciated.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:01 AM

my next step is the driveshaft, but its obvious... i have a dent in mine so im sure its out of balance.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:05 AM

I have a similar problem, except mine only does it when I let off of the gas. If I accelerate, the noise stops. The U-joints do not seem to have slack in them. They are well greased. I just changed the t-case rear seal and changed gear oil. Could this be due to the pinion angle changing when i let off gas and making this vibration? I am stumped.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Found the problem. When the rear output seal was changed the nut wasn't staked. I re-torqued to 90ft/lb and staked with a chisel. Problem solved.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Mine has been doing this ever since I got it (about 8 years), I never really thought anything of it.

Replaced the stock shocks and changed gear oil in the diff last weekend..That seemed to help some but the vibration is still there.

When I get off work in the mornings and get on the interstate it has no problems or vibrations. But after about 5 minutes it will start. I'm assuming the gear oil is just thick in the mornings when its cool and on the hwy it warms up and don't do its job as well..

I need to change out the clutch soon so i'll change the gear oil in the transfer case and tranny then.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:31 PM

Oh and like Mcy17 said, it only does it when I let off the gas.. put it to the floor and it rides smooth.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:59 AM

mines been doing the same thing since I bought it 3 years ago, and the p.o. said it was doing it for years for them, but they only drove it on weekends around their farm so never thought to get it checked.

ssame symptoms, shaking of the entire truck, obviously from the rear whenever I go above 50 mph. braking, or pushing the clutch in makes no difference. no noises, just increasing vibration, tops out at 65 mph.

I first had the tires balanced, no fix. rebalanced and rotated, no fix. switched tires out with tires on my dads truck, no fix. rebalanced and rotate, no fix. checked the ujoints, good (but ordered new ones anyway to put in, since they are cheap, havent done it yet). checked all the bolts on the rear end (shackles, etc.).

my next thing would be to take off the tires and check the bearings.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:02 AM

any resolutions?

I have had my truck 3 years. same thing. My rear pinion seal is gone and my vibrations got worse. replacing my rear diff this weekend. will check out put flange on Transfercase.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:23 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmastry101
Oh and like Mcy17 said, it only does it when I let off the gas.. put it to the floor and it rides smooth.
i had this exact vibration symptom, and it was because the rear end pinion flange and the transfer case output flange were not parallel.

you can check for parallelism with a cheap harbor freight bubble balancer.

the rear end in my truck had been rotated up, so i had to get a cv joint put in the rear axle, on the trans end of the driveshaft.

that cured 90% of the vibration.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:05 PM

Vib

hey whats up. driveline vibration text book signs are between 50 and 65 mph. if you've recently put a lift or some sort of modification chances are you've changed the driveline operating angles. i've seen a lot of toyotas that when they put a lift they don't extend the driveshaft to accommodate the yoke is riding at the edge of the spline causing a jump rope effect also the dust cover is deceiving its hard to tell if the slip n stub is bad with shims you should be able to pitch the rear diff to neg 1 to 3 degrees from the driveshaft to the flange this standard on all trucks .now the transfer case side you cant wedge. so thats when you have to put a cv to cut the angles in half the h yoke with 2 ujoints does this for you.check also the pinion flange and transfer case flange the bend kinda easy. put them in a lathe and check for run out. remember a fulcrum point if the flange is out .003 at the base think how far its out three foot wide
Old 01-06-2015, 01:17 PM

vibration in Toyota land crusier 2000

I have a vibration in my Toyota land crusier year 2000. At speeds greater than 80 mph it starts it's similar to that of imbalanced tyres but that's not the case. Any advice.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghostbuster
I have a vibration in my Toyota land crusier year 2000. At speeds greater than 80 mph it starts it's similar to that of imbalanced tyres but that's not the case. Any advice.
Yes. Post in the correct forum.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by KBAM
Yes. Post in the correct forum.
Isn't this a Toyota thread????
Old 01-06-2015, 07:03 PM

86-95 forum
Old 11-25-2015, 06:12 AM

Any resolution? I have what may be the same issue, i'll add some info about mine in the hopes that maybe it helps the OP or others

I've got a 94 t100 4x4 that vibrates above 60mph, the steering wheel doesn't shake, I can only feel it in the seat or the floor, so I suspect its driveshaft or rear suspension related. It's not always consistent when it does it, however it tends to not occur as often with a load (500+ lbs) in the bed. I've had the driveshaft straightened and balanced, put new Bilstein 5100 shocks on it, as well as tried different wheels and tires (occurred with 3 different sets...) all to no avail.

I recently mounted a go pro under the truck to watch the rear axle and driveshaft movements. I couldn't see anything out of the norm unfortunately. My thought was that if it was related to the pinion angle or something similar i'd be able to physically see the driveshaft moving around?

Has anyone been able to relate a vibration back to worn out leaf springs or leaf spring bushings? Aside from a bent axle, these are the next items on the list to replace, however i'd prefer not to spend the $$$ and the time unless its a needed.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:00 AM

My truck is in storage for the winter BUT im 99% sure its my pinion angle. My last pinion developed a leak at the pinion seal so i replaced the diff with a used unit. i've replaced rear bearings, rear driveshaft, all new U-joints and carrier bearing etc etc no to improvement. I then realized I have 3" blocks in the rear. The previous owner installed them and i get the butt vibrations at 80km/hr. I guarantee its the pinion angle. So i ordered shims but havent installed them yet. (spring).
Old 11-26-2015, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the reply. Sounds a little different than my case. My truck has no lift in the rear. Interestingly enough I noticed the highway shaking after hauling a bunch of truckloads of wood up a bumpy road which made me curious if i'd overstressed a leaf or bent the driveshaft or something for that matter.

The springs on my truck had been hurting pretty bad so I added some helper springs for other reasons. Interestingly enough this reduced the highway shaking to a degree. I measured the "lift" the helper springs added and it was about 1" max (which was probably closer to where the truck sat when it was new). I was thinking that maybe the helper springs helped hold the leaves together and from moving as much.

I'm curious if weak leak (or cracked) springs are allowing the rear end to move around more than it should be. I've looked closely for cracks but haven't seen any. Anyone seen this as an issue on these older trucks?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:39 PM

I have an 84 Xtra cab, I have had the vibration for 2 years and have assaulted every aspect of it, I started with suspension, new bushings and newer springs, new u joints and balanced driveline, new driveline support bearimg ,then stearing and brakes were done, when I got into the brakes I found a front wheel bearing with a little play, the thrust washer was missing between the bearings, after replacing it the vibration got less but still there, new ring and pinion in he front, new wheels and tires, ifs rear axle (with the new ring and pinion) new transmission mount.....the shake is bad in my seat and the most noticable place is my ladder rack at the rear will reall start whipping when it shakes bad, i can also feel a left right surge in my shifter stick only when it is doing its worste shaking.....I found an outer axle bearing was bad in the rear drivers side, it must have been bad when I put the axle in 4 months ago, no sound at all just the little constant vibration voodoo luck