Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear axle leaf spring lift done the wrong way

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle leaf spring lift done the wrong way

Hi guys,
So I searched and didn't really find anything helpful-- probably because I don't know what I'm looking for. I had the truck (87 SR5 4WD 22RE AUTO) on the rack to fix CV Boots (Thanks Bill for your awesome write up!) and I noticed these funny cast steel wedges between the leaf pack and the rear axle. The driver side was poking out a bit further than the pass side... I didn't think too much of it until today when after a little LIGHT off roading (gravel road) the driver side block was gone, one of the leafs was pushed backwards, and the truck was driving with its arse hanging out to the driver side... My question: Napa Autoparts, nor Toyota could find this part. My bet is, it was a poor attempt at an add-a-leaf from the past weed-headed owner that's now left me with this issue. How can I fix this? Where can I find a new wedge? Is it necessary? I'm supposed to drive this rig out to the desert this Sunday... I'd be real bummed if I had to leave it home! Thanks for the help! Sorry for the novel!

Rear looking towards pass side--Note block outlines in red.

Driver side rear--Note missing block.

Pass side looking straight ahead-- Wedge outlined again.

Last pic--Pass side inside closeup
Old 04-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Wow! That is some random chunk of metal being used as a makeshift block! so dangerous! You are very lucky you didn't rip out your rear driveline or wreck! Go to any auto parts store and get a 1" lift block or just run without the block(the way the truck was before tweekers got to it).....
Old 04-02-2010, 03:09 PM

It looks like a 1" lift block that was probably used to level it out. Is it needed, no. Take the other one out and see how it sits. If it is sagging too much for you then consider a different pack or new 1" blocks. Also, the way your spring pack is seperated it looks like your center pin for the leaf pack is broken, which is probably how the block fell out. You will definately need to replace it.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
By the looks of the leaf pack you have an add a leaf. Does the rear sit a little higher then stock?

Kinda looks like a home made axle shim to adjust the pinion angle higher. I am only assuming that since when you show the passenger side, you can see how the axle is now angled with the pinion pointing towards the transfer case..
Old 04-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
By the looks of the leaf pack you have an add a leaf. Does the rear sit a little higher then stock?

Kinda looks like a home made axle shim to adjust the pinion angle higher. I am only assuming that since when you show the passenger side, you can see how the axle is now angled with the pinion pointing towards the transfer case..
Nope...That's the factory overload leaf.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by bb7110
Hi guys,

Driver side rear--Note missing block.

So whats that short leaf IN BETWEEN the overload and the Leaf pack????
Old 04-02-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
So whats that short leaf IN BETWEEN the overload and the Leaf pack????
Ok! I didn't see that! I stand corrected!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:37 PM

No worries, you had me scanning the pics again......." I swear I saw it in there somewhere....." LOL!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
also note the passenger side bump stop is not there either.

It might be an illusion but X2, that looks like a pinion angle shim.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts
unless you took it out, it looks like you lost your bumpstop and top plate too
Old 04-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The previous owner did that to correct the pinion angle (not saying there was enough to require this). He also used longer u-bolts from block kits sold at autozone. These are supposed to be squared, the originals were flat and not so rounded as these, your current u-bolts don't properly hold the axle.

But no you don't need this wedge. I'd recommend taking the one out and getting new factory u bolts from a dealer.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:34 PM

did anyone else notice the round u-bolt going over the springs????? deffinatly should fix that wile ur at it
Old 04-02-2010, 05:08 PM

Bahaha! Pot does bad things. I should have known I was in for it when I was cleaning the truck out and pulled (not even kidding here) five bottles of clear eyes out from all the different hiding spots.
Thanks everyone for the responses. When I sat there and really looked at, I realized that the locator pin was TOTALLY sheared off on one side and non existant on the other. I went back to the trail and found the bump stop, re-aligned the spring packs, and am now on the hunt to find new UBolts to fit the truck. I just stuck a bolt thru the locator holes to line up the spring pack. I figure I'll throw a nut on it, crank it down, and use that nut to locate the axle... Is that adequete?
I'm planning on just running without the blocks, because it looks like the pinon angle should be fine--even with the wheels hanging like they are on the rack. What a warm welcome to the forum--thanks again! Sure wish the SoCal 4ROC was this active.

Edit: I lost and recovered the bump stop, and I removed the top plate to get to the locator holes.
Edit x2: Off to find square topped UBolts, hoping I don't have to go to the stealership...

Last edited by bb7110; 04-02-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
look at the bright side at least you got bilsteins lol.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You have some serious issues with the springs that need to be fixed before you try and drive your truck again. The springs are held in place with the wrong u bolts, the bump stop on the left side is missing, and your lucky the rear u bolt didn`t rip out the brake line.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Isn't it amazing what people "think" is an improvement or an enhancement sometimes? Wow. Whoever did that "lift" was a grade A MORON, like wow.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:05 PM

You guys don't even know the half of it. =) His electrical abilities even surpassed this. When I bought the truck, the flexplate had failed--he was going on and on about the engine needing a "new bottom end and maybe a new top end" and how "it sounds like a top end issue, so maybe I'll keep it." Douchebag. He continued his doucheness by lifting the front by cranking the p*ss out of the TBars... You should have seen the tire wear. Lol.

Does my plan sound fine? Relocate and bolt the spring pack back together, get new flat topped U Bolts and stick the whole deal back together minus the sketchy wedges? If so, MyYota, next time, read my whole post before responding. =)
Old 04-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=bb7110;51409866]Bahaha! Pot does bad things. I should have known I was in for it when I was cleaning the truck out and pulled (not even kidding here) five bottles of clear eyes out from all the different hiding spots.
QUOTE]

Maybe the guy just had really itchy eyes lol
Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bb7110
You guys don't even know the half of it. =) His electrical abilities even surpassed this. When I bought the truck, the flexplate had failed--he was going on and on about the engine needing a "new bottom end and maybe a new top end" and how "it sounds like a top end issue, so maybe I'll keep it." Douchebag. He continued his doucheness by lifting the front by cranking the p*ss out of the TBars... You should have seen the tire wear. Lol.

Does my plan sound fine? Relocate and bolt the spring pack back together, get new flat topped U Bolts and stick the whole deal back together minus the sketchy wedges? If so, MyYota, next time, read my whole post before responding. =)
OK newb.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
OK newb.
My post count has nothing to do with your reading abilities.

Unless anyone has any objections, I'm going to put my truck back together! Thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: Rear axle leaf spring lift done the wrong way