Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Really STUPID question, but I have to ask

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really STUPID question, but I have to ask

I just got my 3zve out of my 90 4runner this afternoon. On the passenger side of the block is a small hole, not much bigger than the size of an ink pen. Does anyone know of anyway to fix that, or is it going to be a bandaid over an arterial bleed? I have seen huge holes, with rods poking out, but never anything this small. The guy drove it like this for quite some time before number 6 connecting rod broke. But I guess that's why I got it for $300. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to perform the 3.4 swap, I want to keep the 3.0 for the time being, maybe a few years from now, but not now, I want to try and fix what I have. Thanks again guys.
Tim
Old 07-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Pic please...
Old 07-05-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drill it, tap it, put a pipe plug in it.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:42 PM

Sorry, I guess that would've helped huh? LOL

Old 07-05-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hard to say...it's obviously been there for a while, given the amount of oil that's blown out of there. It almost looks like the rod may have opened it up.

Seriously, you're really better off finding a 3.4 and not bothering with that. You're going to need a new block, at the very least, and all the millwork that goes along with rebuilding it.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:04 PM

The problem is havinfga 3.4 shipped here will cost way more than I am willing to spend at the moment. I live in the middle of nowhere wyoming. The closest freight terminal is in SLC, UT which is about a 5 hour drive one way. Nobody around here has any toyota engines, wrecked or salvage yards. So I am limited to my small workshop and the tools I have at hand, I can do almost all the engine reconditioning in my shop, if the block doesn't need milling, if it does,than I need to take it along with the heads to my machinist. Thanks for the ideas so far guys, keep them coming.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:14 PM

it looks as though it would be dificult to drill and tap then plug at that location due to the way the block is shaped right there with those little ridges. what i would do is cut out that whole little section of the block inside that grid there and cut a peice of metal to fit and TIG weld it in place.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All I'm saying is that if you're going to go to the trouble of finding a new block, finding a 3.4 might be just as easy.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:25 PM

Oh, I hear you on that, If I do have to replace the block, than I might explore my options on swapping in a 3.4
Old 07-05-2008, 06:43 PM

As far as the engine goes, It is in need of a rebuild. Broken rod on number 6,but did run even with the broken rod. If I can fix the hole in the block I am going to rebuild it. All new parts, from the crankshaft to the sensors. What is involved in reconditioning the heads? New valves,seats, springs, the usual or is there more to it than the conventional rebuild of the heads.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:07 PM

Guess I should have read this one first ehhh..... I asked you these questions in another thread of mine. Hey it looks like we are going through this rebuild at the same time.... We can commiserate together. I am planning a complete rebuild but our buddy Robb really likes the 3.4 swapp so I am looking at both right now as far as $$$$$ & Cents I cant help you to much with the hole though but I can tell you that Once I had the heads of of my truck while still in the truck the bolts were a breeze to get to.

Pete
Old 07-05-2008, 07:11 PM

I reached up with one hand to guide the socket/swivel and held it in place with the other hand once I got it on the bolt, then a quick jerk on the breaker bar and she was free. I think it took me about 6 -7 hours total over 2 days to get this engine out. Not the worst I have done,but not the easiest either.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:14 PM

I can weld somewhat,I think I need to buy some beer and call a friend
Old 07-05-2008, 07:15 PM

I would like to add some upgrades during my rebuild but not sure which ones are the most bang for the buck are you planning any and if so what?

Pete
Old 07-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
x2 on the wire brush and a thorough cleaning followed by a piece of steel sheet and JB weld. Rough everything up good so the epoxy has something to hold on to.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:19 PM

None as of yet, hadn't really thought about it,was concentrating on getting it out to see what I was looking at first. If it looks promising to be able to salvage the block, than maybe some cams, headers and bigger/upgraded valve train and DIY port on the intake manifold and heads. Dont really know much about these engines and have hours of reading in my future.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:30 PM

ok so you have a hole in your block and a broken rod? and your trying to save the engine? ummm why? wont this rebuild kinda make it a rebuilt broken block engine? here is what i would do. i have a listing for engines that are pulled and running, send me your zip and i'll check ta see if there is one near you, but i dont think that engines worth a build, just my .02
Old 07-05-2008, 07:35 PM

i tried 82001 and your right, there aint shiat out there...craigslist maybe? local wrecking yard? friend of a friend? but i wouldn't build that one
Old 07-05-2008, 07:35 PM

83127, I am just exploring my options right now, if it can be saved and put another 100k on it, wouldn't it be worth it? I have rebuilt other engines in the past, granted none had holes in the block, but I have rebuilt a 351W that I got with two broken rods and a cracked cylinder and put 145k on it before I sold the truck. If it can be done for a reasonable cost I will go that route, but if not than I will look more into swapping it out for a more powerful reliable engine. Thanks for the input and checking on the engines for me.
Tim
Old 07-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Hey Anthony can you look up 97814 It would be cool to get another 3vze to use for my rebuild if needed

Quick Reply: Really STUPID question, but I have to ask