Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Real "notchy" 5 speed, is this Yota normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real "notchy" 5 speed, is this Yota normal?

My '93 has a stock V6/5speed, the truck is relatively low miles (88k) and the tranny has always felt real "notchy" when shifting.
Also, I usually have to push the clutch in twice to get into reverse without grinding.
Is this normal for this year/model, its been this way since I bought it with 59k on it and other than this I love this truck, neither of my V6/5spd Tacomas felt anywhere near like this.
Would a Tacoma 5spd be a direct bolt in?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try bleeding your clutch.

Also does it slip?

On my runner, when its cold i have to double clutch it for the reverse to go in. But every other gear goes in just fine when warm. you should be able to shift just using your finger.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:12 PM

yeah.. i have the same problem
Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM

My clutch does slip a little occasionally and I plan on replacing it but, I really didn't think that would have anything to do with the tranny feeling the way it does, I could see maybe the reverse thing.
I guess I will have to step up the replacement.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What kind of oil are you using? A lot of synthetics are too slippery and lead to the symptoms you describe. Also, search on "shift seat bushing"

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/index.sh...ntheticGearOil
Old 02-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if the synchros in the trans aren't working properly... can be caused by using an inappropriate oil in the trans (too thin for instance)... the synchros won't help the gear shafts match speeds properly and will cause that 'notch'-like feel, as can a clutch that is released but still dragging slightly on the flywheel / pressure plate.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 PM

I have my doubts that the previous owner would have gone synthetic and I definitely haven't (I'm the 2nd owner).
I did the shifter seat bushing swap with parts from Marlin last year, it did make the shifter feel more positive but actually made the "notchy" feel more prominent.
I was really wondering if I have a real issue or if other Yota's with the same tranny have a "notchy" feel.

I believe I'll get the clutch sorted out asap and then see how it feels, I would like it to shift super smooth.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my 88 has a 'slight' notch feel to it: a little 'pop' (and I really mean "little") when it leaves one gear and another when it engages the next. It's not "smooth like butter"- you can feel a slight hesitation as it leaves / enters a gear. In my opinion, that's how it should be. As long as there is no "grinding" noise due to the gears not matching rotational speed as they mesh, and otherwise the shift is a fluid motion, it's probably not a problem. But if you have to pause 1/2 second to get to the next gear... chances are the synchro's are working and the fluid is too thin or the clutch is not fully disengaging.
You can check the synchro's by trying to shift without using the clutch: when you're ready to shift to the next gear, let off the throttle and move the stick to the next gear at the same time, and only put the slightest pressure against the stick- don't force it- until it falls into the next gear... if you hear grinding when you engage the next gear, the synchro is likely worn.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:19 PM

I don't think Toyota clutches feel any different than other clutches, but I've never been felt by one, so I'm not sure.

I don't think what you're describing is normal behavior and I agree with the others that it sounds like the clutch is not fully releasing. Check your clutch hydraulic system (look for leaks at the main and slave cylinders) and check the clutch pedal free play. I would think that if it were a mechanical synchro problem that you would get different behavior in different gears because the wear/damage wouldn't be consistent among gears (would it?)

Is it possible that the original owner had replaced the clutch before you got the truck? 59k doesn't sound like a lot of miles for a clutch (88k doesn't seem like that much). But, I drive almost always on the highway in flat country.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 PM

I have very detailed service records from the original owner and there is nothing for the clutch or tranny.
I blame the clutch on myself.....I did a deeper than anticipated water crossing last year and on the other side I had to really lay into it to get up a muddy incline that changed to wet stepped rocks.
When I got to the rock part I had to repeatedly "goose" it to get up them.
After that I noticed some slippage on rare occasions.

I did have a "notchy" tranny before that though and it was definitely more noticeable after the shifter seat install.