Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ready for off-roading...maybe

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ready for off-roading...maybe

I finally got my clutch replaced a few months ago and I have decent tires. The only thing I need to replace now is my rim, but after that I'm ready to venture off-road. So far everything is stock, but I'd like to know what I should look into replacing or securing before I swerve off the asphalt and onto the dirt. I'm worried I'll bend an axle or break something up front. It's my daily driver and don't want to break anything serious. I don't do any rock crawling, just more interested in making a desert prerunner. But I've got to start somewhere.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before someone hits you with something... SEARCH.

Second: Before looking outside your vehicle, search inside. Brake, transmission, transfer, power steering and differential fluids should be in optimum condition. Engine oil must also be good. Engine cooling system MUST be flawless. These trucks have excellent off-road abilities even stock. Heck, some people keep their stock suspension, and just go with bigger tires. Make sure you dont go into deep rivers, go too fast (may hit a rock). You can start from there and work your way up. Again, research will do you good
Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
you'd be surprised what these things are capable of with stock suspension and 31" tires. Trust me I know. worst thing i have broken when off-roading would be my alternator. But I like my water and mud. Biggest key to saving drivetrain parts is the proper use of the skinny pedal. Mashing the gas is not always the right thing to do.

Never go wheeling by yourself. Always have another rig there with you and use that person as a spotter if you feel like your somewhat in over your head.

kcorpetti has a good point with the fluids and fluid levels. Make sure you grease up all of your zirks as well, before and after your trips.

when done and if you've gone though deeper water also check your drivetrain fluids after your trip as well for water. Especially if you haven't done the diff breather mods.

Maybe this should be in the 4Wheeling 101 or Offroad Tech section.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-21-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
The 2 previous poster nailed it. Do your homework, be sure your rig is in top shape & a stock truck will go pretty far.

Btw, a rear locker is more important than tires, just throwing that out there.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:37 AM

Okay. So stock is good for off-road. I've been searching, but never really found relevant info for "bare bare basics". Most of what I'm seeing is "go out, see what breaks, and then fix it."

All the fluids are in decent shape, radiator has been flushed and cleaned recently and I have new coolant. The oil is new and the gear oil in the transmission and t-case are new. Clutch fluid is all new, and the only thing that may needs checked is the brakes. (sorry, just making a checklist for myself here)
Old 10-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Chances are you'll go out and have a great time, and I highly doubt you'll break anything unless you do something stupid like run into a 3ft trench at 60 mph or something

Hands down the best "mod" you can do to your truck for offroading is a locker. I am saving my money right now for one actually, and aside from putting some shocks on and some 31's I'll keep the rest stock!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Chances are you'll go out and have a great time, and I highly doubt you'll break anything unless you do something stupid like run into a 3ft trench at 60 mph or something

Actually I was planning on 30 mph. What do you think 30mph would break? (just curious)
Old 10-22-2010, 09:51 AM

depends on whether or not you hit a tree or a 4 ft ditch.

My best guess of something braking would be a shock, swaybar mount, maybe a leaf spring depending on whether or not your riding on the overloads but I somewhat doubt they will, but it's a possibility.

also depends on the terrain, 30mph on sand is different than 30 mph on a rocky logging trail.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
TMP

Manual hubs if you don't have them.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you're on sand...then you could go however fast you want, but look ahead on the trail BEFORE you fly down it, to see if there are any big rocks in the way or logs or anything like that.

30mph in 4wd would even be just fine
Old 10-22-2010, 01:37 PM

I'm just worried about doing this at 30 mph: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YacG9PkGtI
Old 10-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well yes if you're driving a big heavy Hummer...
Old 10-22-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Well yes if you're driving a big heavy Hummer...
with the pedal mashed to the floor. lol.

which brings me back to an earlier comment of mine.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts
go 30mph across offroad terrain is going to cause your suspension to move and work its full cycle. so if you plan on doing this speed for more then a mile you might want to upgrade your shocks or you will overheat them and fad them out pretty quickly.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
And faded shocks sucks.

It'd be like running on just torsions. Good n springy.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Look if you dont break something ya aint havin fun
Old 10-22-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
go over 30mph and this happens, a old video but helps illustrate the picture for what not todo haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebnFL...eature=related
Old 10-23-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by bobby_duce
go over 30mph and this happens, a old video but helps illustrate the picture for what not todo haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebnFL...eature=related
Awesome!!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DupermanDave
I finally got my clutch replaced a few months ago and I have decent tires. The only thing I need to replace now is my rim, but after that I'm ready to venture off-road. So far everything is stock, but I'd like to know what I should look into replacing or securing before I swerve off the asphalt and onto the dirt. I'm worried I'll bend an axle or break something up front. It's my daily driver and don't want to break anything serious. I don't do any rock crawling, just more interested in making a desert prerunner. But I've got to start somewhere.
I'm going to say the most important thing is common sense. If your asking before you go out you probably have a good size portion. Go slow, learn your truck, learn to choose lines.... there is lots you can do before your offroading becomes an expensive hubby that all you think about is lockers, dual cases, sas, winches,........

Pack some water, food, warm clothes, have some fun. Good to go out with others.

Enjoy.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Pack some water, food, warm clothes, TOOLS, and have some fun.
Added something

Quick Reply: Ready for off-roading...maybe