Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Reading Wire Diagram

Old 01-08-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading Wire Diagram

Trying to figure out check engine light 22 code for a v6 3.0. I am in over my head and would appreciate assistance in what the annotations mean such as the highlighted G-L or the BR-B or THW on the lines coming out of the water temperature sensor. I had to replace the temperature sensor and housing and now am getting a code 22 check engine light code. I am wondering if I swapped the terminals, but before tearing things back apart,trying to understand the wiring diagram.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Reading Wire Diagram-1-8-2017-7-09-06-pm.jpg  
Old 01-08-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
THW is just the "name" of the Engine Coolant Temperature signal. You'll find that abbreviation again on the connector to the ECM.

G-L is Green-bLue (the stripe is blue), BR-B is BRown-Black.

The ECT sensor is just a variable resistor http://web.archive.org/web/201311071...40engineco.pdf, so reversing the connections shouldn't matter. If you replaced the connector body (housing?), you need to make sure that your crimps are still good, and you installed the pins so that they make good connection to the sensor. What I would do is just pull the connector at the ECM and check the resistance of THW to ground. http://web.archive.org/web/201209071...27troubles.pdf At room temp you should get about 2k ohms to ground; code 22 is telling you the ECM is seeing open or short. Once you know which one it is, you'll know where to look.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
THW is just the "name" of the Engine Coolant Temperature signal. You'll find that abbreviation again on the connector to the ECM.

G-L is Green-bLue (the stripe is blue), BR-B is BRown-Black.

The ECT sensor is just a variable resistor so reversing the connections shouldn't matter. If you replaced the connector body (housing?), you need to make sure that your crimps are still good, and you installed the pins so that they make good connection to the sensor. What I would do is just pull the connector at the ECM and check the resistance of THW to ground. At room temp you should get about 2k ohms to ground; code 22 is telling you the ECM is seeing open or short. Once you know which one it is, you'll know where to look.
Thanks for the info and recommendations Scope103. Will check it out tonight. I had to replace both the sensor and the connector body, When I tried to remove the old connector, the top of the sensor broke off and I had to crush the connector to remove the remaining parts. I did not remove the old female terminals, but rather just inserted them into the new connector. I pretty sure both of them clicked into place, but will double check if I am not getting a reading at the ECM Since I could not install new packing I filled the void with liquid electric tape and wrapped the whole end of the connector and wires with silicone tape.

Last edited by DallasTX; 01-09-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:46 PM

It turned out that I did not get one of the terminals pins completely inserted into the new connector. Once I corrected this and cleared the stored codes, the truck started much better and now no check engine lights. Thanks very much to all for your feedback and on to the next problem.

Search this Thread