86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Re-Re Painting The Truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re-Re Painting The Truck

Here is a link to the pictures. they are all viewable by clicking this one link..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...an/My%20Truck/

i have been using various tools for this project. palm sander, 6" da, coarse roloc discs. and paint stripper..

does anybody have any tips or suggestions on what else i could be doing??

i am sanding down to bare metal. then spraying with rustoleum clean metal primer to keep from rusting while i finish the whole truck... then my plan is to buy some automotive paint from sherwin williams and spraying it on with a sprayer.. im hope this will come out very nice and clean.. not to sure what color im going to do yet, my engine compartment is black and the engine block is lime green. as well as some other parts.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DON'T use the rustoleum. You will never, ever, get a real 2K paint to stick to it, and you WILL have to sand it all off. Seriously. Also, that crap goes on so thin it won't prevent any rusting at all.

Go get some epoxy primer and prime your junk in that.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 PM

i dont think i plan on spending 2k..
scratch that. i definately do not plan on spending 2k
Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM

not $2000, I didn't put a dollar sign. 2K = 2 component.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:22 AM

You wont get good results with 2K outside of a booth anyway. Pick up some cheap acrylic and a gun and start spraying. You should get reasonable results but there is a reason why re sprays are so expensive.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by milehigheric
You wont get good results with 2K outside of a booth anyway. Pick up some cheap acrylic and a gun and start spraying. You should get reasonable results but there is a reason why re sprays are so expensive.
I haunt hotrodders and other body forums and some guys there are putting out some outstanding work in their garages with temporary (or no) booths. Definitely not easy, though.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
nice to see another local from sac-auburn hahah im up in the roseville area. Very familiar with Prairie city myself haha

Rustoleum is a great paint... i've dechromed quite a few things and its held up since
Old 10-29-2009, 11:04 AM

I'm repainting my 4runner and i'm block sanding it too just to make sure that the paint doesn't come out wavy.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are you sure he's wanting a NICE paint job???..looks to me his trucks kinda like a DD beater..if he actually wheels his truck..a nice paint job wont be a good idea..

i've painted my '86 with rustoleum..turned out rather nice if ya ask me

i went from this (day of purchase..tryin on my swampers )

to this

if ya ask me..and just about anybody else..you'll get the same answer...IT LOOKS AMAZING!.......although i need to sand her down a bit and put another coat on it..lol
Old 10-29-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As already suggested, you should block sand after the first coat and subsequent coats. It's too easy to burn through the paint with a DA unless you're doing the final cut and polish with a foam disc.

You can see my build thread on this page, where I sanded down the whole truck and painted with Interlux Brightside yacht paint. You use a 4" high density foam roller as the method of application. Couldn't be easier, and the results are pretty astounding. Brightside is about $40 a quart, but it only takes 1/4 of a quart per coat to get really good coverage. Dried thickness is 1 mil, the paint is polyurethane and it contains Teflon. It's proven to be very strong stuff so far. I need to put on 3 more coats, but it looks great with only one.

https://www.yotatech.com/f191/monoch...42/index3.html

EDIT: I should add, it's also easy to burn waves into old paint by using a DA and electric sander too much. It takes years of experience to do it right, according to bodyshop people I've talked to. I just used a $5 sanding block, canceled out about 5 hours on a weekend, and wet sanded the whole thing down with 220 grit. I should have used 300 because 220 created some scratches. Live and learn.

These were taken after the first coat:

Last edited by Monochrome; 10-29-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:53 PM

yes, its a DD Beater.. haha.. and thanx fo the ideas guys. keep them coming.. thats all i really want is it to look better than the spray paint camo.

and 2k can sometimes stand for 2000, so, sorry.. haha..

and yes. prarie city is a fun place to spend a day at. have a bbq and relax...
Old 10-29-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just because rustoleum makes spray paint..doesn't mean you have to use spray paint..lol..you can also spray it through a gun..and it comes out looking A LOT better than mine..

you can't tell mine is spray paint..it just looks like somebody shot it with a gun with not a lot of prep work..

which all i did was sand it down past the clear...i wasn't looking for this paint job to be perfect in any way..i was simply doing it to see how the truck would look 2 tone black and white..and it looks amazing..so i will be sanding this coat down (wont take long..its really thin lol) and then primer the whole truck real good..do some hardcore sanding to get all the deep scratches out..then shoot it with a HVLP gun and rustoleum Gloss white..wet sand in between coats and lay down 3 coats most likely and then 2 coats of clear.

a good lookin paintjob should bring the price up just a hair around here for when i sell it
Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 PM

i kno. im goign to be using a hlvp gun. i am just using the spray praint to prevent rust as i do one body panel at a time.