Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

rattle, clank, chatter noise - 95 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rattle, clank, chatter noise - 95 4runner

Ive had a rattling noise on my 95 runner for years now and I would be grateful to anyone that can help me diagnose where its coming from.

The noise happens when I go over small bumps or drive on rough roads. Doesn't seem to matter what speed although it is more noticeable at lower speeds. It sounds like a rattle or chattering of metal on metal like something is really loose and any little bump is making it rattle around. It seems like its coming mainly from the passenger side or at least it seems louder on that side.

I've been under the truck with a rubber mallet banging around on anything and everything but can't duplicate the noise which leads me to believe that its suspension related but Im open to all ideas/suggestions.

I removed my front sway bar earlier tonight. The passenger side was loose which gave me hope and at first it seemed like the noise was gone but after listening closer I could still hear it although it seemed like it was less frequent and maybe not as loud - possibly the rear sway is also making the same noise???

Its a 95 4runner with IFS and auto hubs. I've been to schwabs and they said that 4runners are just noisy - i hate schwabs. If its normal then fine but something is making the noise and if I knew I might be able to do something about it.

It is loud enough to hear with the windows up if you're paying attention and very noticeable with them down. Noises of any sort really drive me crazy so PLEASE HELP!

Mike
Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look into your ball joints
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your shock attachment bolts.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also check for things like a loose skid plate, hood holder post, loose radiator to chasis bolts, etc...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:27 PM

thanks for the quick replies. its not the shocks cause I just had them replaced and no change in sound. its not the skid plate cause I have had that off recently as well as my front bumper. Ill check the other suggestions tho - oh and its not my spare tire . . . thats already been suggested. Is there an easy way to check ball joints?

Recently changed all the fluids myself so I was under the truck quite a bit and didnt see anything loose (doesnt mean theres not anything, but whatever it is it sounds really loose and seems like it would be obvious if visible) - still think its suspension related since I cant get anything from the rubber mallet. CV bearings maybe or some worn out bushings somewhere? Like I said I JUST removed the front sway and that seemed to help so I'll report back what I find after driving a bit.

BTW: Im experimenting with some cheap mileage mods and so far removing the factory sunroof wind blocker thingy has been the most successful - and cheap too! Actually discovered this when I removed to clean and didnt get around to putting it back on. Im sure others have done this before me so im not taking credit but so far it has yielded an extra 1.5 mpg for me and I dont even notice its gone. Give it a shot.

Last edited by toyota_yamaha; 05-31-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: added more
Old 06-01-2011, 04:50 AM

I believe you have the same steering setup as the pickup and my T100. If so, grab the draglink that's connected to the idler arm and try to move it back and forth. If it moves and makes a clank that could be it. A few idler arm bushings and some new grease may solve your problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:34 AM

This is my first post, and I'm about to prove my ignorance!

I had a similar problem with my Excursion. I want to say it was the sway arm tie bushings? (I'm having a brain fart and can't remember). Let me see if I get this right.... where the tie rods meet with the sway arm, there is a plastic bushing. As that gets worn, the "bolt hole" gets worn into an oval, so the tie arms can travel up and down inside the joint - which they are not supposed to do.

Maybe that will help...