Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Random Tail Light Flicker??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random Tail Light Flicker??

I have made a flatbed for my truck while searching for a good bed. I used a tow harness i found on a junkyard scavenge to wire in some custom lights. I used two separate LED lights for brake and directional per side. I have all 4 wired in for running lights. So this is a plug in harness, not a chopped and screwed harness. EVERY wire is SOLDERED and covered in SHRINK CASING, I have done this alot, and like to do things the right way.

My problem is a random flicker the running lights have delevoped. Its the flicker you get from a bad ground, so i went through all the wiring and checked/replaced all grounds. I even re-grounded the harness for the lights at rear of the frame. This made no difference. When the running lights flicker, the plate lights flicker with them, and they are standard incondecent lights. Also, the front running lights, do not flicker at all, when the rears are. The other night they actually shut off, and wouldn't come back on at all. All the blinkers, front runing lights, directionals worked, but no plate or rear running lights. The next morning, they came back like nothing happened when i turned the lights on leaving for work. Still flickering, but working.

Now, funny part is, if i plug in my stock tail lights in, they work fine, no flickering, or anything. Work perfectly. From what I am gathering, its an issue with the LED lights. Has anyone else expirienced anything like this at all with custom rear lighting? These are cheaper lights, maybe its an internal issue with one of them that affecs them all seeing as there from the same power source? Im going to buy some regular bulb lights to replace the LEDs in the rear to see if there will be a difference. Im just throwing it out here though, in case someone has had a similar issue.