86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radiator won't quite work with shroud/5 speed swap question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radiator won't quite work with shroud/5 speed swap question

My mechanic is at the end of putting in my new engine and doing the 5 speed swap and there are 2 little problems that seem to be in the way. First I bought a used radiator which is a 3 row rad. and he says the shroud will not work as is and asked me to get a different rad. After dumping almost $3k into this thing I am about done spending money on it for a little bit. I believe this radiator to be one designed for a turbo but I'm not totally sure. It bolted in but the shroud wont fit right without a little hacking from what my mechanic told me. Is it that much work to put a turbo radiator into an NA 4Runner? Also the radiator was previously installed in something like a 92 pickup with a 22re, could there be a difference in the shroud that would make it not work becuase of the years? My truck is an 86 4runner 22re btw. Confusing to me.

Next is there a specific diagram I can look at that shows exactly which wires need to be spliced together to trick the auto trans computer into thinking the truck is in park now that it has a 5 speed? I have spent a good deal of time looking and the closest I have found is "splice the two big ground wires together." How many wires run to the park neutral switch? 3 from what I can tell but my mechanic says he won't splice anything together until I give him a sure answer because he doesn't want to be responsible for anything getting fried on my truck. Another thing he mentioned was just removing the park neutral switch and hooking it up so that the computer reads that the switch is in park??? Confused and I want my truck back, it's been a long time coming and it's so close I can't bare it anymore. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 10-05-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don`t know why the radiator shroud won`t fit on your truck, ive put 3-core radiator in my trucks in the past and everything bolted up just fine, just trim it a little if needed to make it fit. i just an auto to manual swap on my 86 4Runner, and there are only two wires you need to jump, its a round plug by the starter with three wire in it, jump the two wires that are virticle to each other.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wonder if the mechanic is making the engine fit to the trans, meaning the trans went in first and they're modding the engine mounts to fit, instead of installing the engine, then bolting the trans up and modding the trans mount to accomodate things?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:31 PM

He put the engine in first then put the trans in. Everything went smooth from what he told me aside from the shroud, and he doesn't want to fry anything electrically. This is the second time he has had to work on my vehicles. and the last one was an efi/5 speed swap in an 80 pickup so Im wondering why he is having such a hard time lol. The first job I had him do was a much more difficult procedure.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I just dropped a 3-row turbo radiator (GoDan/TransPo model) into my '85/22RE and it fits perfect, shroud bolts right up to the stock holes. The 3-row is thicked than stock and I was not able to run the old electric fan I used to run, but the stock fan fits fine. What part of the shroud is he saying needs to be "hacked"?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the problem that the mech can't get the shroud in because of interference from the fan, or it won't bolt up to the rad?
if it's the first problem, does the mech know that the lower part of the shroud can be removed to allow it to slide down past the fan?
Old 10-05-2008, 02:06 PM

I haven't gotten far enough into it with him yet to find out what part needs to be hacked. Im actually pretty annoyed because he told me 3-4 weeks and it's been two months but I can't bitch too much because he is actually giving me kind of a break on labor, he pretty much had done the entire manual swap for free and only charged me for the motor r&r. I'll get more info from him tomorrow and get back to this thread. He made it sound like it would be a difficult job but considering he's already installed the pedals, mc, hardlines, and trans, i can't see why a fan shroud would really be in his way.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have to connect the two wires on the neutral/safety switch that are side by side. they are two big pins on the connector for the ground.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:07 PM

Also you will need to run the wires for the reverse lights (on an auto they are on the shifter) to the switch on the transmission.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:38 AM

this is the plug for the neutral safety switch. I don't have a front view but you'll need to jump the 2 side by side connections.

as for your radiator problem, I had a turbo rad. in my truck and the shroud worked fine.

sounds like something might not be installed correctly.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 AM

at least yours bolts up. the shroud i bought in vegas was for an 89, and should have worked, but didnt.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:36 PM

Thank you for all the responses, I just got a new radiator ordered. I think he got the wiring deal figured out as well so I should have my truck this week or early next week at the latest after a long wait. Perfect timing too, because the auto trans in my camry just took a crap yesterday and its going to the scrapper.