86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

radiator leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
radiator leak

So after visiting a mechanic to have my AC looked at, he also noted that my radiator has some small leaks.

He said that they could either repair the radiator (cost of $240) or replace it ($280)

However, I haven't noticed any problems with overheating issues in the past 6 months I've owned the truck. I have had to add a bit of coolant though, as I noticed the levels dropped a bit.

So, I have a few questions...
1. Should I fix the radiator? Or will it be fine so long as I keep an eye on the coolant level?
2. Will some of that radiator leak stopping fluid work? http://www.barsproducts.com/C16_R6.htm
3. If I replace the radiator, is it a hard job to do yourself? I'm just getting into auto repair, but feel pretty comfortable with a wrench now. Is this a job that I can tackle myself? I would also need to replace the hoses and thermostat as well.

thanks for all the input!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You can pick up a new 3-row radiator in the $100-$150 price range from a number of on-line sources and it is easy to replace yourself. Just drain the old one, pull the hoses, 4 bolts hold it in place, and it'll lift right out. Drop the new one in and fill it with coolant and it is good to go. Usually costs about as much to repair the old one as to get a new one.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4Crawler forgot to mention to unbolt the shroud from the radiator- that's only 4 bolts though.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
4Crawler forgot to mention to unbolt the shroud from the radiator- that's only 4 bolts though.
Or just slip the lower half of the shroud off:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ToyotaRadiator

Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got similar leaks on the top of my rad and plan on replacing it at some point. I figure its from corrosion caused from the antifreeze being old, and acidic. If this is true then how long will the rest of the rad last if the holes are repaired? One of these days I'll get around to testing the PH of my antifreeze...
Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Or just slip the lower half of the shroud off:
but you still have to unbolt the shroud from the radiator and attach it to the new rad...
Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, just buy a replacement and do it yourself. Its pretty darn easy - there is a writeup in the staging area tech forum...
Old 08-26-2008, 09:56 PM

sounds like doing the repair myself is the way to go. Realistically, how long can I go without repairing it? I know it'd be best to do it ASAP, but there is a list of things I need to repair on my truck, including a leaky seal on the t-case/rear driveshaft and I'll be needing to replace all 4 brakes soon.

So my question is, how high do I need to prioritize this radiator problem?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Yep, just buy a replacement and do it yourself. Its pretty darn easy - there is a writeup in the staging area tech forum...
I checked out your write-up. It's super thorough and illustrative. I'll definitely be using it once I replace my radiator!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toyNG
sounds like doing the repair myself is the way to go. Realistically, how long can I go without repairing it? I know it'd be best to do it ASAP, but there is a list of things I need to repair on my truck, including a leaky seal on the t-case/rear driveshaft and I'll be needing to replace all 4 brakes soon.

So my question is, how high do I need to prioritize this radiator problem?
As long as it's topped off, you SHOULD be fine. You will lose some pressure, therefore your boiling temp will go down, but this should not be a problem at normal running temp. For how easy of a job it is, I would just get it done.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Lets put it this way. If your radiator blows a big hole you'll have a major problem if you try to drive it anywhere. Have a backup plan if you want to go out of town with your rig. I've had the holes in mine for about half a year now and they have gotten a little worse, but still seems to hold strong. Like others have said, keep it topped off.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 PM

I have repaired my radiator 2 times now using the prematex epoxy I have a small crack on the top passenger side .

I sanded it down to bare brass then hit it with a rough file and put a dab of the permatex epoxy over the crack.

I used the 4500 PSI epoxy ans it held for 9 months I figure that if I only have to put a dap of the epoxy the size of a quarter on it every 9 or so months it is way cheaper then buying a radiator.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

Just keep extra coolant with you. And make sure you check it daily. It should be fine untill you can get around to fixing it.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 AM

So does that stop leak fluid work?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So does that stop leak fluid work?
Don't use that unless your truck is one step out of the scrap yard. If you care anything about your truck replace the rad. For the price of these aftermarket rads you can't go wrong.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Don't use that unless your truck is one step out of the scrap yard. If you care anything about your truck replace the rad. For the price of these aftermarket rads you can't go wrong.
thanks for the advice. I just spoke with the local dealership, and they want $469 for a new radiator! Is there anything wrong with the ones you can pick up at Kragen or NAPA? I can find them on those places for under $200.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks for the advice. I just spoke with the local dealership, and they want $469 for a new radiator! Is there anything wrong with the ones you can pick up at Kragen or NAPA? I can find them on those places for under $200.
They are good replacements, I've been buying mine from radiator.com. They will be cheaper and have very fast (free last time I ordered) shipping and lifetime warrany.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

I got mine through Performance Radiator a couple of years ago, and it's been working great! I think it cost me about $130 (2 years ago).
Old 08-27-2008, 12:50 PM

Just so you know, if you have to get a new shroud, it's one piece, and you'll have to take the fan off to get it in.

Make sure you tighten up those hose clamps reeeeeeeeal good, I didn't the first time and it never stopped leaking after that, I had to replace the top hose.

Oh yeah, the leak also caused the third belt in to bust, so that was a PITA.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

When I did my radiator, my old shroud was one little peice at the top. I replaced it with a new stocker. I didnt have to remove the fan to install it. To remove:

Unbolt shroud and set it over the fan, this will let you lift the rad out of place.
To install put the shroud over the fan, out of the way and drop the rad in. Easy peasy

Quick Reply: radiator leak