Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

r150 5 Speed manual swap drive shaft issue

Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r150 5 Speed manual swap drive shaft issue

Ok, I searched and could not find an answer.

Here is the scoop.

Buddy of mine is swapping out the junk auto trans on his 93 extra cab, v6 4x4 pick up to the manual r150 5 speed trans.

The issue is this thus far.

He bought a new driveshaft that was longer due to the length difference of the trans. The driveshaft he bought came off of his EXACT truck but just a manual version instead.

The tailshaft of the trans DOES NOT match the holes to mount to the longer driveshaft. I guess the splines are different as well or something? It is a beefier unit appearantly and the holes do not match up and they are a larger hole size. However the holes on the driveshaft DO match up for his auto trans. Also for info i think that the trans is a 88ish r150 due to the speedo cable NOT being electrical.

So can a yota guru please shed some light on this? Is there different versions of the r150 trans? Yes it is an r150. Its already bolted up to his truck lol. Like the clutch, the pedal assembly, master slave cylinders are all installed. Hell even the wiring is done! We are simply stumped on what the deal is with this tailshaft and have no idea how to address it. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated thank you!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Tailshaft of the trans or tail shaft of the transfer-case?

Was the original transfercase used from the truck or did it come with the trans? I believe there is 3 different bolt patterns. Not sure which years were what.

Does it match the rear diff? If so you just need a triple drilled flange for the transfer-case. Or you might possibly be able to use the old pinion flange from the other t-case if the one that came with the trans was used and not the old one.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:49 PM

So I made a profile real quick to answer some more questions on this... its my truck and the issue I am having is that the bolt pattern on the new transfer case is different from the old. The original output shaft was 23 splines the new output shaft is 30 spline
Old 11-01-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Tailshaft of the trans or tail shaft of the I believe there is 3 different bolt patterns. Not sure which years were what.

Does it match the rear diff? If so you just need a triple drilled flange for the transfer-case. .
This sounds likely Its the tailshaft of the tcase which came with the manual as a whole unit.

The triple drilled flange you speak of. Is this something readily available from like TG or MC?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:08 PM

i found the part i need i believe its on marlin crawler http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/dr...-spline-flange
Old 11-01-2011, 05:09 PM

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/dr...-spline-flange

After writing that I face palmed and just punched in the info on my own......
Old 11-01-2011, 05:09 PM

would definitely try trail gears triple drilled flange for the transfer case. you may call them and ask how many splines it has. it should work. only like $30.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Ya gonna have to make some calls and get it rollin.

Now this info has helped and should get the truck on the road however it doesnt help identify just what is going on with this 30 spline tailshaft on the back of the tcase, what tcase is on the back of this thing i wonder?????
Old 11-01-2011, 05:23 PM

not sure man. the only ones i know of that have more splines is the old turbo parts. if that's the case you have an awesome find. those things are a little stronger than the other ones, and alot rarer. maybe do some research to find out how many splines the turbo ones have. i thought it was like 27, but i could be wrong. hope that helps.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 PM

turbo is 23 spline. i don't know what you got dude. maybe a way later model t case?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1800's kinda guy
not sure man. the only ones i know of that have more splines is the old turbo parts. if that's the case you have an awesome find. those things are a little stronger than the other ones, and alot rarer. maybe do some research to find out how many splines the turbo ones have. i thought it was like 27, but i could be wrong. hope that helps.

See, I had considered that as well, but I was under the impression that the r151 trans (turbo 4cyl) had a diff bellhousing? And my buddy didnt see that rubber drain plug on the housing.....

Well now that I consider things...... Ok so hypothetically speaking....

If the P/O of the manual trans HAD swapped the bellhousing to make the 4 cyl trans work for the v6 how WOULD one find out how to identify the trans???
Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 PM

it looks like marlin crawler makes 30 spline output shafts for 79 - 95 gear drive transfer cases. looks like you may have that. maybe try to find a triple drilled flange from marlin crawler. hope that helps. you got a beefy transfer case if thats the situation.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Ya, this whole experience with this trans has been interesting. But so long as it shifts well and the t case works we will be happy but if it does end up havin a beefy t case you won't here any complaints from our end lol
Old 11-01-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm so confused on what part you guys are actually talking about. I've got two possibilities but the terms are being tossed around by a couple guys that sound like they don't know what they're talking about.
The output shaft for the rear transfer case flange. Or the transfer case flange it self.

So, the trasnfercase flange holes are not the same pattern as the holes on the driveshaft u joint flange?

Sounds like you've got a different year driveshaft.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

Old 11-01-2011, 06:43 PM

Scuba, we've been referencing that site all afternoon. And although it has helped it hasn't solved the unique issue we are having.

Ok, so let me see if I can clear this up.

The flange that connects the t case to the driveshaft isn't matching up with the drive shaft. The holes don't line up to connect the two together.

The spline that the shaft is on is a 30 spline. Which is odd because I have not been able to find any t case that mates to the r150 trans that has a 30 spline.

The driveshaft that was purchased for the swap came off of a 93 xcab 4x4 manual v6 pick up.

The truck it is going in was/is a 93 xcab 4x4 auto v6 pick up.

The drive shaft that works for the auto trans was simply too short so we found the manual trans driveshaft. The length of it is perfect but it won't bolt up.

So the trans is right, the drive shaft is right. But the flange on the t case is the wrench in our plans.

Now the triple drilled flange tg and Mc sell should solve our issue. "Should". now I am simply curious as to what the deal is with this t case and why it has that spline/flange combo.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 PM

exactly, now he's trying to find a t-case output flange to fit the same pattern hole as his drive shaft. which i didn't realise he had already found what he needed. a 30 spline multiple drilled output flange from marlin crawler.
or am i wrong? if i am, then i'm gonna shut up now and drink some beer.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1800's kinda guy
exactly, now he's trying to find a t-case output flange to fit the same pattern hole as his drive shaft. which i didn't realise he had already found what he needed. a 30 spline multiple drilled output flange from marlin crawler.
or am i wrong? if i am, then i'm gonna shut up now and drink some beer.

You sir are correct! Keep chatting if you wish but I encourage that last part with the beer!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:08 PM

Yes i bought the 30 spline multiple drilled output flanges from mc for the t-case because the front is the same size 30 spline pattern. They should do the trick and will be here wenesday but i still dont know what t-case i have
Old 11-01-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2DoorJoRunner
Scuba, we've been referencing that site all afternoon. And although it has helped it hasn't solved the unique issue we are having.

Ok, so let me see if I can clear this up.

The drive shaft that works for the auto trans was simply too short so we found the manual trans driveshaft. The length of it is perfect but it won't bolt up.

So the trans is right, the drive shaft is right. But the flange on the t case is the wrench in our plans.

Now the triple drilled flange tg and Mc sell should solve our issue. "Should". now I am simply curious as to what the deal is with this t case and why it has that spline/flange combo.

Ignoring this chatter.

The driveshaft that was purchased for the swap came off of a 93 xcab 4x4 manual v6 pick up.

The truck it is going in was/is a 93 xcab 4x4 auto v6 pick up.
And you're 100% sure of this? Because I do believe that driveshaft patterns, bolt sizing, and bolt spacing varied a bit between 86-95. That could be problem number 1. What if the owner of the other truck swapped the trans, transfer case, and driveshaft from an older/ later model and forgot, or this was done by the PO before him.. Get where I'm going?

The flange that connects the t case to the driveshaft isn't matching up with the drive shaft. The holes don't line up to connect the two together.
Thats what I figured the problem was. Thats typically called the "transfercase rear output flange."

The spline that the shaft is on is a 30 spline.
I'm confused by this statement. The spline that WHICH shaft is on? The spline that the transfercase output flange is on is 30 spline? That makes a lot of sense seeing as how this Marlin Crawler 30 spline output flange lists 88-95 3VZ auto and 5 speed as applications.

Which is odd because I have not been able to find any t case that mates to the r150 trans that has a 30 spline.
I'm also confused by this statement.
I think you are getting the input shaft spline count confused with the output shaft spline count.
The input shaft spline count (the shaft that goes into the back of the transmission and the front of the transfercase) with the output shaft/ flange spline count.
The input shaft on your VF1A V6 chain driven transfercase is a 23 spline.
The output shaft on your VF1A V6 chain driven transfercase is a 30 spline.

The above linked marlin crawler 4 pattern flange is what you need to cure your issue.
Or, save your money and just drill out the output flange to match your new, longer, driveshaft.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by J&Hfab
Yes i bought the 30 spline multiple drilled output flanges from mc for the t-case because the front is the same size 30 spline pattern. They should do the trick and will be here wenesday but i still dont know what t-case i have
Refer to this page again: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

RF1A (4 cylinder case, which I doubt you have) "Can be identified by the 7 bolt rear cover."
See the 7 bolt "cover" around the rear output flange?

VF1A (V6 case, which you probably have) "Can be identified by the 5 bolt rear cover."
See the 5 bolt "cover" around the rear output flange?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: r150 5 Speed manual swap drive shaft issue