Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

R&R'ing clutch. What else to do while there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R&R'ing clutch. What else to do while there?

Hey guys,
Just looking for a little "experienced help". I am getting ready to replace the clutch in my 1991 4 runner V6 5 speed and just wanted to know what tricks or tips you might have and what pitfalls I should look for? I hear that the top bell housing bolt is a bear, any thoughts on that or anything else that will help to make this as smooth as possible? I found a great post on it here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...riteup-108420/ with lot's of good info. Anything else anyone can think of as far as ducks I should get in a row before starting?

My "plan" is to get it up off of the ground and start getting some of the easy stuff disco'd etc. and spray liquid wrench on some of the more stubborn looking pieces to pre soak them. I have an ATV jack and a couple of floor jacks that I will have to make due with. As far as ?WHAT ELSE TO DO? while I?m there?

* Resurface Fly wheel
* R & R Throwout & Pilot bearings
* Replace RMS.
* Check / tighten exhaust manifold bolts. (or replace donuts?)
* Drain & refill pumpkins, T-case & tranny. ? 150K never changed as far as I know?
* Lube all zerc?s
* Flush & refill clutch fluid ? of course.
* What about master & slave cylinders?
* Any other things I should check & or replace while I?m there?

I'm also considering taking the tranny into a shop to have them crack it open and take a look while it?s out to make sure it doesn?t need anything? ? thoughts on this?

Any recommendations on brand of clutch? My lady drives it and it's a DD not a "wheeler". Should I just go stock parts?

Thanks,
biGjOhn

Last edited by SuaveGato; 07-02-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:25 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Swap to a 3.4L

I think you've got everything. If you 'wheel it, I would recommend replacing the flywheel with a heavier unit instead of resurfacing the one you have. They're <$100 on marlin crawler.

Which clutch/pressure plate you going to go with?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by tc
I think you've got everything. If you 'wheel it, I would recommend replacing the flywheel with a heavier unit instead of resurfacing the one you have. They're <$100 on marlin crawler.

Which clutch/pressure plate you going to go with?
Thanks, no "wheeling"... it's her DD. might see 4x4 3 times a year for snow, a dirt road or slippery boat ramp. it's all stock.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:00 AM

*** BUMP ***
Old 07-04-2007, 09:09 AM

The manual tranny's very hardly ever have problems. I wouldn't worry about spending the money to have someone tear into it just to check it out. Unless you suspect theres a problem I wouldnt spend the money.

Last edited by bruzer; 07-04-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Make some sort of platform with ratchet straps for your floor jack. It's not a tranny jack, but it's the next best thing...besides having Mr. Olympia helping.

Unless the master and slave cylinders are bad, don't bother replacing them. Just flush them good. If they do go out later...or sooner...it's not like they're part the clutch assembly.

The rear main seal, on the other hand, is. Go ahead and do that. It's cheap enough.

Other than, search the forum. There are things that different people have run into that you could read and be forwarned about. Plus, tips on procedure.

And parts...WabFab, Marlin or Centerforce many around here like. You can search those names, too.

Last edited by thook; 07-04-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:43 AM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
I find that I get in way over my head when I try to replace something that was perfectly fine if I would have left it alone! Get your stock flywheel resurfaced, reinstall everything and line it up, flush fluids and you should be good to go. Give yourself an extra day in case something goes wrong. Good luck!
Old 07-04-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the 22RE motors - good time to do the fuel filter....
Old 07-09-2007, 02:42 PM

Kewl folks,
Thanks again for the scoop! Since I?m NOT in a hurry (she?s driving my spare car while I do this) I want to do some of the extra little things while I?m there, ?just in case?? but other than lubing up all of the zerc?s, the exhaust flange donuts & RMS, I can do everything else independently from the trans removal. I.E. don?t have to have it out to do them? It was recommended to me to also do the TransCase output flange seals while there? They don?t appear to be leaking, so should I just leave well enough alone? They seem to be easy enough to get to later if they do develop a leak?

So far I have everything out /disconnected / drained except the top two bell housing bolts and the cross member is lowered but I left 2 bolts on each side supporting it for now til I?m ready to have a friend help me yank the tranny out.

I can already foresee that getting the lower starter bolt back in might be a bear, any tips or tricks for that one? I assume putting the top one back in first will help, but that lower one was a PITA to get out, let alone put back in!

Thanks,
biGjOhn
Old 07-10-2007, 01:10 PM

Shredded Clutch disk?

BTW, here is a thread with some pix of the carnage that I found when I pulled the tranny out of what used to be a clutch disc...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post50569658

enjoy,
biGjOhn
Old 07-10-2007, 01:34 PM

P.S. one last piece of advice...???

Here is a seperate post on buying the clutch parts, any & all input appriciated,
thanks,
biGjOhn

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post50569697