Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick question concerning an exhaust gasket replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question concerning an exhaust gasket replacement.

So, I need to put in a new exhaust manifold gasket/s. There is a pipe that is copper colored routed to the manifold.

Quick question concerning an exhaust gasket replacement.-1.jpg

It's here highlighted in red, It's not my picture but it is the same as my truck.
Can I just move this out of the way to get to where I need to go? Or will I damage it?

It's silly that I can't figure out what it's called exactly, I have a feeling more or less what it's purpose is.

How can I move things around the right way to install this gasket?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's the EGR manifold. You can pull the bolts to the block, and the two bolts on the right side of your pic where it bolts to the pipe routing it behind the engine to get it out of the way. It will need a new gasket where you pull it apart and possibly new bolts

I would also replace the exhaust studs when you replace the manifold gasket unless theyre pretty clean. Last time I did it they were less than $10 at the dealer for the whole set

Last edited by MMA_Alex; 03-01-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 PM

If I remember correctly, that's the secondary air injection manifold. It's attached to a pipe that runs behind the head and bolted to the EGR plate.

Anyways, when I removed it, I couldn't reach the bolts on the back of the EGR plate to slack the pipe a little. I had to just flex/push it back a little bit to clear the studs on the secondary air injection manifold.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:36 PM

Thanks guys for your responses. I had been using search, but for some reason couldn't pinpoint this particular thing very well. Now that I know that it's EGR stuff I think I'll be able to get it out of the way.

The egr is plugged and not in use, (due to a Weber 32/36 installation).

While taking out the bolts to the manifold to try and fanagle it off, two of my studs came out along with their nuts, and one of them will not screw back into it's place again. (stripped hole, or stud....)

Hopefully I can plug this air pipe to the EGR up? Then get new studs to put in there and be good. Although something tells me I'm going to have to do something to the location where I have the stripped stud. Typical.

Faulty stud is also in the proximity of the air leak I'm trying to fix as well.

Anyway thank you again for the responses. That will help me a lot to fix this. And I'm of course open to any suggestions on this issue.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
probably worth retapping the holes if you're unsure of the condition. you'll want to get a bottoming tap (not a standard tap since its a blind hole). I'm not sure off the top of my head what size the exhaust bolts are. If the egr is unhooked you should be able to remove all that piping and just get a block off plate to cover the holes
Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 PM

Right, so I just moved the piping to get to the manifold gasket, replaced it and the other small gaskets for the piping. I Got myself some new studs, they seem to go in just fine. There were two bolts, each with two other regular studs on each sides of them, they didn't see, to have any purpose as they didn't screw into the head. They were also different sizes. I left them out and my leak is fixed.

However, on another note, another air leak that I thought was around the base of the Weber, has turned out to be on that air piping. So I have to agree with you that I should grab some block off plates and just remove it all.

Success though, I appreciate your words.

Last edited by atoliver; 03-03-2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: see is meant to say seem