Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick door panel speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick door panel speaker question

Hey all,

The time has come to get away from the crappy 4" dash speakers. I'm planning on putting 6.5" speakers in the door, just wondering if people are mounting these directly to the fiberboard door panel or to the sheet metal behind it. Seems like the door panel might be kind of flimsy but if it works it works...

Lots of door speaker threads but I can't find anyone answering this directly.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:00 PM

I'd to to something substantial if you can (door steel). If you can't, well - anything that'll hold 'er should do! But if you're rockin' and rollin', you might start buzzing as the spkrs work their way loose....always best to go solid, IMO...
Old 10-26-2011, 01:11 PM

Yeah i was sort of thinking that already. Have you done this in your truck? I have the same gen body, no vent windows. i'd rather not cut sheet metal if possible...

And yeah my job is making hiphop so I CRANK it. don't want that buzzing to start up!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:37 PM

No, I haven't changed mine out...too many other things to take care of first, LOL! Someday, I might put some in, tho. I wouldn't worry too much about modding something to make them fit....just pop off the liner and get a look, I'm sure there's a spot you can use! It's not like there is a high market for 'unmodded early Toyotas', he he!
Rock on, Andy - maybe someone else has put some sprks in the doors and has info on what you'll find behind the mysterious door interior panels?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a 10mm bolt head that you will see when you pull the panel back. Plan to mount your speaker forward of this. That bolt holds the window track in place and you really dont want to cut it out.

Usually speakers will come loose in a door going into such thin metal with screws. Simply the resonance of the speaker itself will cause screws to loosen. Add in the slamming off the doors, driving vibrations, kicking them now and then getting in and out, etc.

A better way to do it is to build a panel that follows the contour of the bottom of the panel and about 6" tall and then rising when you get close to the window crank. Of course, large enough to fit the speaker.

Mount that to the door, and then the speaker to it. Cover with fabric to look pretty. Done.