Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Questions/Problems on a 22RE Front Seal

Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions/Problems on a 22RE Front Seal

So it's finally warm enough to tackle to leaky front seal on my 22RE. Things are going OK, but I ran into two sort of odd problems I wanted to run by people here.

First is when I pulled the front pulley, it had some significant rust on the shaft, over the area where the seal contacted the shaft. Nothing structural, but the surface was pretty well rusted and rough. No wonder the seal was leaking, probably worn away by that rust. I carefully sanded the rust off before putting the sleeve on (had to sleeve it anyway). But I am curious what might have caused that rust. The car has never had water in the crankcase while I have owned it, but the PO did do some wet off-roading. How long would an engine have to sit with water in the crankcase to get rust like that? And what else should I be worried about in the crankcase?

Second thing is an odd one, I had to cut the belt that goes to the AC compressor. The adjuster was frozen. Just could not get that adjuster to loosen up, even with the adjusting screw taken out. Did I miss a second locking screw on that thing somewhere? It looks just like the other adjuster, pulley on a screw that tightens the belt. No rust that I can see on it (all these parts have been bathed in oil spray for a while now), but the pulley will not move. I've tried banging it, putting a vise on it, it just won't go anywhere. Pulley bearing is a bit loose too (was that way before any banging or prying) so maybe it need replacement anyhow. Any thoughts on this? I don't really need AC for a few months, but I would like to put this back together eventually.

TIA
Old 02-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't have any suggestions on the rust. If the PO ran it thru a lot of water or what the inside of the oil pan looks like is anybody guess without pulling and seeing.

I am fairly sure the AC Pulley and Power Steering pulleys are the same. I have had the AC one to break like you have mentioned. I just replace it with another from the bone yard, or just replace the bolt if that is all that broke on it. Pull the whole bracket off and start soaking in PB Blaster as well to get it freed up.

Youtube video...

My Power Steering Pulley is a little noisey so thought I would show how to replace the bearing. I used PN# 204-FF.

Then I removed the nut and the pulley. On the backside there is a wire clip that holds the bearing to the pulley. Remove it,
then I used a 3/4 inch socket and drove it out over a vice.

I put a little oil in side the pulley and used the vice and slowly worked it back in most of the way. Once it is flush with
the pulley I used another socket to finish getting it all the way in so as the wire clip would seat.

Here it is all cleaned and painted. The bearing was $22. Toyota wants to sell the whole assembly. I was unable to
find just the pulley. Hope this helps someone.