Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Questions Before Swapping Differentials

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions Before Swapping Differentials

Hi everybody, I hate to post threads that seem like I should have found what I need through searching.... so sorry in advance....

Back story: I scored a set of 5.29 gears already in housings for the front (IFS) and rear of my 4runner. Should just be a job of swapping differentials.

Ok so here are the questions:

Front end:

My stock 4.88 IFS diff. has the ADD shaft on it. However, I have switched to manual hubs. So will I want to use the new non-ADD shaft that I purchased or switch them to retain the old parts that are already working?

Rear end:

All I want to know is exactly what new parts I will need to get the job done... I cannot get a straight answer for some reason... Will I need axle seals, special sealant, etc....???

I'm trying to get this done this weekend so if anyone can give insight it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Tube of sealant and some gear oil is ALL you will need, if you already have them in housings.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
front axle: dunno...

rear axle:
should be almost plug and play, as long as your existing seals are good all you will need is some new RTV sealant or other choice stuff, gear oil. oh and brake fluid...
some people let the rear axles rest on the axle seals when removing the thread but have found that if I do that I end up having to replace the seal down the road..undo the brake lines and pull the axle all the way out, don't be lazy and only pull it out the 3" you need to get the third out...
Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
front axle: dunno...

rear axle:
should be almost plug and play, as long as your existing seals are good all you will need is some new RTV sealant or other choice stuff, gear oil. oh and brake fluid...
some people let the rear axles rest on the axle seals when removing the thread but have found that if I do that I end up having to replace the seal down the road..undo the brake lines and pull the axle all the way out, don't be lazy and only pull it out the 3" you need to get the third out...
Yes! Thanks to both of you! I had read that same thing about resting the on the seals, mine appear to be fine as there is no leakage as of late. So I will do it the right way only once hopefully.

REAR END QUESTIONS ANSWERED.

If anyone can chime in about IFS experience that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again DC and OC!! You guys rock!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For the front here's what I recommend.

Fill the old one with fluid before putting it in the truck, it's just easier.
Put in the non-ADD shaft since you have it, again before you put it in the truck.
Pound out the 12 studs on the CV sides and replace those with nuts/bolts/lock washers since it'll make it easier to install the front end and easier to replace a CV on the trail if you break one.

I think that's it.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
For the front here's what I recommend.

Fill the old one with fluid before putting it in the truck, it's just easier.
Put in the non-ADD shaft since you have it, again before you put it in the truck.
Pound out the 12 studs on the CV sides and replace those with nuts/bolts/lock washers since it'll make it easier to install the front end and easier to replace a CV on the trail if you break one.

I think that's it.
Ok that sounds easy enough. So to make sure I get what you're saying:

-Use the non-ADD shaft since I have manual hubs
-Ditch the studs (already in the plans)
-Fill gear oil before installing

Thanks Junkers88!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by yotasavg
Ok that sounds easy enough. So to make sure I get what you're saying:

-Use the non-ADD shaft since I have manual hubs
-Ditch the studs (already in the plans)
-Fill gear oil before installing

Thanks Junkers88!
That'll do it! Oh and do yourself a favor and go out a few days before you do all this and spray all the bolts/nuts with some sort of penetrating spray or something. Trust me on this one.....
Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 AM

Good call on the penetrating spray! Last question, do you know by any chance what size bolts/nuts you used for the front axle shafts? I've been meaning to replace those for a long time, and now that I'm thinking about it I am not stoked to have to take those CV's off.....
Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by yotasavg
Good call on the penetrating spray! Last question, do you know by any chance what size bolts/nuts you used for the front axle shafts? I've been meaning to replace those for a long time, and now that I'm thinking about it I am not stoked to have to take those CV's off.....
It's been so long since I did mine that I have no idea . Best bet is to knock one of the studs out and take it with you to the parts place and just match it up. Be sure and save all the studs and nuts and put them into a goodie bag for the trail just in case.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 AM

Ya that's what I'll do! Thanks again to everyone who answered my questions, I really wish I had posted this two weeks ago when I started searching and reading... there's no better help than first hand experience!