Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

questions about a rookie offroad driver?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
questions about a rookie offroad driver?

I don't know if this is the right place for this but it will be done in my 89 runner and I know all of us here do some wheeling every now and then.

I have a lady friend and her son flying up in March for a week and I want to take them wheeling. The runner is built for the mild/moderate trails we'll be driving on (I've run all of them with no issues) and I plan on an LSD up front before they get here. He's 13 and will be the primary driver for the week and has never driven anything before (I have a NEW clutch installed already). I'm hoping that a taste of wilderness will help him evolve into someone that works to keep the trails open for the rest of us old guys.

Any advice on teaching a kid to wheel and respect nature at the same time? I also hope he'll find a love for first gen 4runners at the same time and help keep one on the road.

Thanks folks. This is kind of important to me.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
kiss that new clutch bye bye it be toast by the end of the day
Old 01-27-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some basics you may or may not of thought of...

1. Teach him to stay on designated trails
2. While out with him, if you see trash stop and pick it up and he may copy later...
3. Make sure his small fingers stay out of the middle of the steering wheel while driving offraod, no need for broken fingers
Old 01-27-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Good pointers 89! I learned young "leave it better then you found it"

Well, given the type of outdoorsman you are, I am sure you have alot to offer the kid in terms of sharing your knowledge of the outdoors. It is a different generation these days, and since I don't know what the kids interests are now, its hard to say how he will accept the lessons, but like they say, lead by example and it sounds like you are doing just that.

Now, teaching the kid to drive....... Patience, patience patience. I am sure you will cringe at some of the things that he will do to your rig in the attempts to drive it. Just remember, your vin starts with the letters JT. That in itself should give you the reassurance your rig will make it out alright. The rest, (driving instruction) is up to you. The best thing my pops did when teaching me to drive was to tell me ONCE, then shut his mouth and let me figure out the "feel" of driving it, and he told me he would only say something else if I asked for it or if he felt his life were in danger.

Last edited by kiyobrown; 01-27-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
kiss that new clutch bye bye it be toast by the end of the day
I thought about that and can install another one in about 3 hours when we get back. If I have to install 3 or 4 to help him enjoy wheeling then I think it's money well spent. I do hope though that he won't burn the first one up.....I HATE dropping a tranny.

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Some basics you may or may not of thought of...

1. Teach him to stay on designated trails
2. While out with him, if you see trash stop and pick it up and he may copy later...
3. Make sure his small fingers stay out of the middle of the steering wheel while driving offraod, no need for broken fingers
1.We have trail markers already there (state trails).
2.I carry trash bags all the time and have come out of those hills with 2 or 3 filled with beer cans and refuse, he'll learn to do the same.
3.The finger thing is damn good advice and something that I did not think of. Thanks! I have a Grant wheel and will tell him to keep the fingers on the outside of the wheel. Man that is great thinking!

Last edited by Junkers88; 01-27-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 PM

i dont think teaching a kid how to drive and wheeling is a good mix. but if it all goes down make sure you have a winch. haha
Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Good pointers 89! I learned young "leave it better then you found it"

Well, given the type of outdoorsman you are, I am sure you have alot to offer the kid in terms of sharing your knowledge of the outdoors. It is a different generation these days, and since I don't know what the kids interests are now, its hard to say how he will accept the lessons, but like they say, lead by example and it sounds like you are doing just that.
Thank you for that. He's into fishing and hunting and wants to be able to survive outdoors if he has to. The kid is all about nature. His mother makes sure that there is very limited time spent inside playing games. He's happier outside and I'm damn proud of that.

Now, teaching the kid to drive....... Patience, patience patience. I am sure you will cringe at some of the things that he will do to your rig in the attempts to drive it. Just remember, your vin starts with the letters JT. That in itself should give you the reassurance your rig will make it out alright. The rest, (driving instruction) is up to you. The best thing my pops did when teaching me to drive was to tell me ONCE, then shut his mouth and let me figure out the "feel" of driving it, and he told me he would only say something else if I asked for it or if he felt his life were in danger.
That makes sense because my grandfather (who raised me) was the same way. He told me once what to do and then let me try it and he has the patience of a fisherman.. just like me. I'll do my best not to worry about damage to the rig....... but damn that runner is my baby. I'll let him learn as long as he doesn't kill the rig, we'll be miles out in the mountains so getting back out is an issue.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by vang_22re
i dont think teaching a kid how to drive and wheeling is a good mix. but if it all goes down make sure you have a winch. haha
Niether his father or his step father have ever taken him out to do anything. I have hope that he'll do well. We'll see what happens.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I thought about that and can install another one in about 3 hours when we get back. If I have to install 3 or 4 to help him enjoy wheeling then I think it's money well spent. I do hope though that he won't burn the first one up.....I HATE dropping a tranny.

1.We have trail markers already there (state trails).
2.I carry trash bags all the time and have come out of those hills with 2 or 3 filled with beer cans and refuse, he'll learn to do the same.
3.The finger thing is damn good advice and something that I did not think of. Thanks! I have a Grant wheel and will tell him to keep the fingers on the outside of the wheel. Man that is great thinking!
No problem, my dad taught me that little finger trick...he also said "if you spill my beer, you suck" haha Not much else to do then besides making sure he's having fun and it's not a nerve racking experience. Teaching someone to drive off a paved road is actually easier than on road, the tires have more give and it'll stall less
Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd think learning to drive itself is plenty to start with. Offroad driving comes after that.

Since you have a week, I'd start the lessons ASAP, preferably on a paved road. Let him learn and practice the basics every day. Let him get a feel for the vehicle. Toward the end of the week, if he is doing well, let him try an easy "trail."

I think kids learn more from example than what they are told in words. Maybe pick up some trash while you're out wheeling. Essentially, set a good example.

I don't know where you plan on going, but in your position I'd certainly teach him the basics of handling firearms safely and do some shooting. A .22 rifle is best for a first time shooter, IMO. http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

I'd also take him gold prospecting.

I was also warned about keeping my thumbs up to avoid them being smacked if the wheel whips around. I wonder when and why that started. I don't see how that could happen in modern vehicles with steering dampeners and power steering.

Last edited by flyingbrass; 01-27-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Sounds like a good time!

My dad and I did summer trips to all sorts of places from CO to WY to AZ to UT and NV. Lots of good times camping and wheelin. It's his fault I got into the hobby! lol! Hell that was 20 years ago!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like a good plan junkers and be proud of yourself for doing so. Find out how he learns things and be patient. Find out if he's a visual learner or better at being told what to do and putting it into action. None of us look at and learn things the same way. Take him for a few trail rides and explain what your doing and why. I know for me i tend to explain things to people as if they have never seen a car before. Yeah it's a little redundant but covers the simple stuff when it is often missed. Go over vehicle safety and maintanence before and after the trail ride. I.E. tire pressure, fluid levels, and overall appearence. Its little things like that that you and i may do as second nature that isn't so obvious to the next person. You have the opportunity to help mold a young persons life and as trivial as your trip may sound to you or anyone else for that matter it's going to stick with him for a life time. Seriously good job!!!!! We should all be proud to know some one like you. Wish i did at that kid's age. Allright i'm off the soap box. good luck keep us updated and post pics.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

maybe just keep it in 4low i think your clutch will be much happier
Old 01-27-2010, 09:12 PM

Keeping it in 4Low is a great idea. I first started practicing clutch when I was off road with my family in middle school. It is much easier in the loose dirt. Sounds like a fun!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

thats how my friend teaches people to learn to drive stick is in the gravel
Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

Man can I come play and try doing what ever I can a see if I can burn your clutch up and then watch you replace it I promise I will get more then a day out of your clutch and a lot more fun
Old 01-27-2010, 10:48 PM

Just remember, your vin starts with the letters JT. That in itself should give you the reassurance your rig will make it out alright.
I don't get it?

Last edited by g_cali; 01-27-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by g_cali
i don't get it?
made in japan
Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 PM

Gotcha
Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 PM

X3 on Lo range and learning in the dirt. A lot less stalling. Plus he could probably just start out in 3rd and keep it there since you're not likely to do anything really rough. And he can't accidentally go fast.

Have fun!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: questions about a rookie offroad driver?