86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Questions about oil pressure and oil pump replacement on 3VZE

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about oil pressure and oil pump replacement on 3VZE

I have a 95 3.0 142K and It has alway had low oil pressure at idle. By low at idle I mean when its hot and in drive around idling around 550RPM, I see almost NO oil pressure on the stock gauge. If I put it in park the RPMs will raise to 800 and the oil pressure gauge will rise with it. The oil gauge is always between a quarter and half when driving depending on what RPM im at. So I dont really have a problem except for when im in drive idling. I dont have any knocks, taps, or any strange noises in the engine. It just makes me worried that the oil pressure being that low at idle will do damage little by little over time.

My question is will a new oil pump fix this.? From what I see the pump is external (meaning I dont have to drop the pan) and can be replaced fairly easily. I intend to keep this vehicle for many year to come so I dont mind doing repairs that will improve its longevity. So I was wondering if anybody has replaced the oil pump alone and seen an increase in oil pressure at idle.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

I've had 2 of the V-6 3.OL engines and the oil pressure at idle when the
engine is warm - is always low ( just as you describe )

The 2nd engine was a totally rebuilt engine by Orient - same deal with the
oil pressure. I've never checked it with a manual gauge but I quit worrying about it. What you have sounds normal.

Happy Holidays !

:xmas13:
Old 11-28-2007, 04:39 PM

I would just change the pump like I did, I am like you, I didn't really notice much of a change, maybe a little, but I like all my parts to be new and in great condition, mine was also the factory, so it was time to replace anyways. I don't mind spending money on my rig to make it last...weather it needs it or not. But it is all up to you.