86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Questions about BJ spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about BJ spacers

So I have some 2" OME springs in the back of my 92 runner and currently have the front torsion bars cranked. Of course the ride is really stiff in the front now so I wanna get some 1" BJ spacers. Just wanted to know if there are any negative aspects to this. From what ive read they seem to give a good stock-like ride and also give you more travel. Does anyone know if they cause alot of strain on any parts of the IFS? Also how hard are they to install. I think I have a good idea how but I know there is some metal trimming required. Would love some input!! I love the stance I have right now, just not the ride with those stupid Tbars cranked. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
they will add some strain to the CV's, but little more than cranked t-bars will, particularly if you have the ADD setup and automatic hubs.

in my opinion-
for your situation, considering your bars are cranked for lift, it is a worthwhile thing to do and the little bit of extra work- trimming the upper arm so they fit- more than offsets any detriment. You'll get the lift you want/need and get the more civilized ride quality back... not to mention if you do go off-road, the relaxed bars will let the front end flex a bit more easily.
now, you might even consider 1.5" spacers and relax the bars even a little bit more: the ride will be even more plush.

If you happen to have the ADD system, I'd recommend changing to manual hubs anyways if for no other reason than to extend the life of your CV joints when you're not using 4wd.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Awesome, thanks so much, Im gonna go with BJ spacers for sure. Ill probably keep my ADD though being as I'm probably gonna wreck a cv/boot anyway and they arent that bad to replace. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by foskco87
Awesome, thanks so much, Im gonna go with BJ spacers for sure. Ill probably keep my ADD though being as I'm probably gonna wreck a cv/boot anyway and they arent that bad to replace. Thanks for the help!
go ahead and keep the ADD if you want, but like I said manual hubs will help those CV's last longer.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would defantly consider upgrading to manual hubs. You can leave them locked in the winter, they are no different then your ADD flanges. 2wd low is awsume

Go with the 1.5" bj spacers. Relax the torsion bars down and you will have a little lift and a MUCH nicer ride (more flex too )
Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The only spacers I've ever seen are 1.5". If you have found 1", please post up a link for others.

Originally Posted by abecedarian
they will add some strain to the CV's, but little more than cranked t-bars will, .
Please explain.

From what I can tell, the OP is looking to get the same ride height he has now, but with a smoother ride.

As I see it, both lift AND CV angle will be determined by the position of the lower a-arms. So, if he replaces the lift he has with BJ spacers, and relaxes the torsion bars so that his lower A-arms are at the SAME angle they were pre spacer, giving him the same lift, his CV's will be at the same angle. And therefore have the SAME strain as he has right now.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
The only spacers I've ever seen are 1.5". If you have found 1", please post up a link for others.

Please explain.

From what I can tell, the OP is looking to get the same ride height he has now, but with a smoother ride.

As I see it, both lift AND CV angle will be determined by the position of the lower a-arms. So, if he replaces the lift he has with BJ spacers, and relaxes the torsion bars so that his lower A-arms are at the SAME angle they were pre spacer, giving him the same lift, his CV's will be at the same angle. And therefore have the SAME strain as he has right now.
the upper a-arm limits extension and the lower arm limits compression.
Installing BJ spacers will push the lower a-arm down, but doesn't affect the upper a-arm, which as mentioned limits extension/down travel.
Pushing the lower arm down even farther than stock means there is the possibility that the CV's will be pushed down below their normal operating angle if the suspension is unloaded.

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-04-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by foskco87
No reason why you can't run manual hubs and ADD. I do. Unlock the hubs on the highway to save wear on the CV boots. It doesn't seem to affect fuel economy at all though.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Corrected: Roger (4crawler) has them: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-05-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Dont want to hijack but has anyong run balljoint spacers in addition to a bracket lift. I have a 4 inch pro comp stage 2 lift and am thinking of adding bj spacer when I got up in tire size.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by saitotiktmdog
Dont want to hijack but has anyong run balljoint spacers in addition to a bracket lift. I have a 4 inch pro comp stage 2 lift and am thinking of adding bj spacer when I got up in tire size.
Yeah I am.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah I am.
Are there any additional complications with the combo or is it no different than with completly stock suspension.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Are there any additional complications with the combo or is it no different than with completly stock suspension.
There were not any big complications with my kit (Superlift), don't really know about ProComp but I can't foresee any additional problems. I do sit pretty close to full droop at rest. Watch your CV angles, don't get greedy with your ability to get more height. Use limit straps and/or bump stops to limit travel within a safe range of movement for the CVs. That goes for anyone with IFS, bracket lift or not.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-05-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
the upper a-arm limits extension and the lower arm limits compression.
Installing BJ spacers will push the lower a-arm down, but doesn't affect the upper a-arm, which as mentioned limits extension/down travel.
Pushing the lower arm down even farther than stock means there is the possibility that the CV's will be pushed down below their normal operating angle if the suspension is unloaded.
Excellent point. Thank you for the elaboration. It is appreciated
Old 09-05-2008, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

That is a great point Abe, I didn't catch that before. You guys with the stock UCAs can either get limit straps or extented bump stops.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

That is a great point Abe, I didn't catch that before. You guys with the stock UCAs can either get limit straps or extented bump stops.
If you put extended bump stops for the upper arm to keep the lower control are where it was stock than doesn't that defeat the purpose of the ball joint spacers.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

If you put extended bump stops for the upper arm to keep the lower control are where it was stock than doesn't that defeat the purpose of the ball joint spacers.
Haaaa, that depends on what you consider the purpose of the BJS. If more droop is your purpose, then yes, you have defeated your purpose and don't buy them. Droop is over-rated IMHO.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I haven't seen them advertised, but at one time Frank (SDORI) had talked about making them to order. Of course, you could always mill .5" off the top of each one and get shorter bolts.
Have offered them in various heights for years now:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...mHeightSpacers
Old 09-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Basicly the BJS do the samething as cranking the T-bars, except they allow the UCA to remain closer to 90* to the axis of wheel movement where you'll have the softest, flexiest ride. The mistake people make (as I see it), is that they want to add the BJS AND crank the T-bars. It should be one or the other, not both.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-05-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Have offered them in various heights for years now:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...mHeightSpacers
Thanks Roger, I corrected my post.

Quick Reply: Questions about BJ spacers