Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

question for a 3.0

Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question for a 3.0

ok well i have a question reguarding to a 91 3.0 the truck is runnning rich and has horrable gas millage not i pulled the heads blown water jacket gasket. so i had a few burnt valves and did a valve job so motors back to running good just did a clutch and prusure plate milled flywheel. all good but the truck is running way to rich so. my question is sence the truck is running so rich and its dumping so much fuel in the motor could i disconect the fuel pump and run a new fuel pump in place of the old fuel pump that put out a smaller amount of fuel to solve with the loading up prolbum of the motor i can smell fuel from the exhust that the truck is running so rich my coldstart injector is fine no dribbeling,the truck has a new fuel filter. let me know what you think
Old 04-06-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtpup
ok well i have a question reguarding to a 91 3.0 the truck is runnning rich and has horrable gas millage not i pulled the heads blown water jacket gasket. so i had a few burnt valves and did a valve job so motors back to running good just did a clutch and prusure plate milled flywheel. all good but the truck is running way to rich so. my question is sence the truck is running so rich and its dumping so much fuel in the motor could i disconect the fuel pump and run a new fuel pump in place of the old fuel pump that put out a smaller amount of fuel to solve with the loading up prolbum of the motor i can smell fuel from the exhust that the truck is running so rich my coldstart injector is fine no dribbeling,the truck has a new fuel filter. let me know what you think
It ain't 'da fuel pump that determines how much fuel is dumped into the cylinders.
Not sure why would you think that.

Bad upstream O2 sensor, for instance, can cause that problem.

Fred
Old 04-06-2008, 06:19 PM

i think my problem is similar, i replaced the 02 sensor and it got a bit better. Although it is still kinda ed, does yours ever lag out at high speed or under stress ( uphill)?

Someone else told me to check the AFM but i am not sure how/ what to do when i do.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by artinge3
i think my problem is similar, i replaced the 02 sensor and it got a bit better. Although it is still kinda ed, does yours ever lag out at high speed or under stress ( uphill)?

Someone else told me to check the AFM but i am not sure how/ what to do when i do.
i replaced my o2 sencer also about 1 month ago its not the AFM beacouse they are so sensitive the truck would not run if it was bad is what a guy at work told me. on the other hand the mafs will do that.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 AM

have you checked the injectors? if they are not within spec they could stay open too long. Also the coolant temp sensor? not sure but throwing it out there cause i know it plays a prety big role in how much fuel is injected. ex. if it the computer thinks the engine is cold all the time because the ECT is bad it will dump more fuel in the cylinders. also could be the VAFM alot of times people yank the plug and pull the traces off the contacts (I did this by accident) its not hard to do. Luckily I could resolder and they were fine just dont use too much heat. My advice is to get an ohmmeter and start testing all your sensors. also any engine codes?