Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Quality Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quality Brake Rotors

Ok I just re did my drums and I am noticing now that my fronts are ready for new too. The bad thing is that my rotors are warped and theres not enough left to turn them out. So I need new ones. Heres my question (Yes I searched before I posted) Is there enough of a reason to buy rotors and pads from the stealer? I've gotten burned on bad parts from Autozone and Advance before. So are these parts wrth paying mark-up for? I certainly dont want cheap made in China stuffso I never buy the cheapest stuff.

What the word out there?

Thanks
Scott
Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the last ones i bought were from napa, and i have had pretty good luck with them.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:43 PM

I was thinking Napa. I know for the drums everyone says stealer or Napa.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
IMO, rotors are rotors as I've never had a bad one.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:12 PM

Anyone else? What kind of rotors/pads ya'll running?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I had some ty aftermarket rotors on my '94 when I bought it and could NEVER get them to go more than 10,000 miles without pulsing. I switched to dealer rotors 125,000 miles ago and still no issues; haven't even had to turn them yet!

You can get a pretty good discount on dealer stuff from a Yota dealer in Houston who adverts on this forum for members; do a search.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

i go with the cheapest i can find, never had any problems yet. i think i got my rotors for 20 a piece for my '79 from the local parts store.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:48 AM

i have been a pro technician for more than ten years. in this time the best friction comes from centric they are not sold from the website direct, you can get them from fast undercar

there are many different types of pads. you need to use the posi quiet semi metallic. and premium rotors. infact, you can get the exact oem pad too, if you want.

good parts are only half of whats nessicary. proper installation, is key. its not just slappin in pads and your done.
the rear shoes need to be adjusted. i would say, more than 85% percent of all cars that come in dont have the rear shoes adjusted.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 AM

I like the OEM Toyota equipment. It lasts longer than anything else with little or no issues. I bought OEM rotors, drums, pads, shoes, and seals for my '85 2wd Toyota, and its great. Nothing but quiet smooth stops. I'm gonna do the same for my '87 4Runner. Yes it costs a lot more, but they're brakes, and I'm worth it. Look up www.toyotapart.com , call Greg there and order OEM stuff at a good discount. You can also look up OEM parts available through the parts catalog drill down at www.toyotapartscheap.com . Their discount prices are more expensive than toyotapart.com
Old 01-23-2008, 03:37 AM

I went with LC Engineering drilled and slotted rotors for my '88 4Runner. The last couple sets my shop put in warped way too soon, so I spent the bigger bucks for something that would last. So far, so good. I do a lot of hard "stop and go" driving in the city, so warping is a big problem.

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...A-D90ABCC6E8ED
Old 01-23-2008, 05:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
vented rotors will dissipate heat better, and may prolong life.

but, if you like to get them hot, than drive through rivers of melt-run-off, your rotors (what ever the brand) are doomed.

i just posted this elsewhere, but here goes again.

in my bmw, i run Brembo drilled/slotted (and vented, double pane) rotors w/metal-master pads. = stopping was greatly increased and i will never go back to solid rotors again.

but in reality, if you drive normal (like most trucks/heavy rigs) you drive slower and more cautiously.

in my truck, i run oem rotors/pads and throughout (even e-brake)

i would try napa w/the recomended (low dust) pads.
when you do change out the pads, remember to use the epoxy in between the calipers and pads. this prevents any vibrations that will make obnoxious noises.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:09 PM

We run Brembo replacement rotors on every vehicle we service at the shop I'm at, same goes for all of my personal vehicles. Never had a problem, and I personally have never had a warped rotor. Three cuts and close to 80,000 miles on my last truck, still in within spec and I was running 33s.

As far as pads are concerned, OEM, Akebono or Nissin with a new set of shims for us. We're an all Asian Make repair shop.

You get what you pay for with brakes, cheap pads wear fast, over dust, squeak and cheap poorly cast and porous rotors warp, crack and wear out fast as well.

/my 2 cents
Old 01-23-2008, 08:14 PM

i think that my rotors are original and they dont look that worn. do you just go ask the parts house guy if they can be turned or what?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by 1990Runner
i think that my rotors are original and they dont look that worn. do you just go ask the parts house guy if they can be turned or what?
there is a minimum thickness. a macine shop will measre it and determine if they are resurfaceable.
but if there are blueing streaks, or black spots, from excess heat, or if there is cracks in it, dont expect them to tun them.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM

I just got the rotors and pads from Autozone. I got Duralast because of the 2 year warranty and duralast pads because they are lifetime replacement pads. Not sure how they work yet, been too lazy to install them, but I hope they work out.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
put the receipt in a safe.

is there any fine print?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:39 AM

The Napa premiums are the best balance between cost and quality. The key is don't use rotors made in China. Dont want to start a China bashing hijack, it's just the truth. Chinese rotors warp very easily even when new, forget about turning them. And like 80W90 and PSmith said, you can get Akebono or Nissin pads aftermarket, they are OEM pads, just in different packaging. BTW I'm also a pro mechanic.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:32 AM

I just purchased Beck Arnley premium rotors (2) & a set of EBC 7992 series pads online at auto parts warehouse. They were cheaper than my local O'reillys (sp?) & had free shipping; PLUS as an internet order.....no sales tax for a total of $226.16

I just ordered them so I don't know if they are fast shippers or anything else.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Brenjen
I just purchased Beck Arnley premium rotors (2) & a set of EBC 7992 series pads online at auto parts warehouse. They were cheaper than my local O'reillys (sp?) & had free shipping; PLUS as an internet order.....no sales tax for a total of $226.16

I just ordered them so I don't know if they are fast shippers or anything else.
That's not especially inexpensive since you can get a pair of Brembos for a little bit more than $100 these days.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by runethechamp
That's not especially inexpensive since you can get a pair of Brembos for a little bit more than $100 these days.
Well seeing as how these were $66.75 each (x2) & the pads are premium pads - $92.66 for the set.....I don't think it's too bad at all since my local O'Reillys was higher on both rotors & pads; their EBC 7992 pads were $100 plus tax plus the gas to drive up there & back.

Besides, I never said they were "especially inexpensive" If you want Brembos...get Brembos. If you buy the premium Brembos like I just bought the premium Beck Arnleys the price is nearly identical. So I really don't get the point of your post unless it's to say you think Brembos are better in which case you may be right, you may not, I couldn't say but I have heard good things about the Beck Arnleys.

Edit: my original post was to give info to the OP, not to plug any one brand over another; The price of what I bought was cheaper than can be gotten at a local auto parts store for the same or comparable parts.

Last edited by Brenjen; 01-25-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Quality Brake Rotors