Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Purchased in CA, need to make it to CO

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchased in CA, need to make it to CO

I got a great deal on an 86 here in So Cal, now I need to do what I can to make sure it makes it home to CO.

It runs pretty well as far as I can tell. So if you were me and had to drive an unfamiliar rig 1200mi what critical things would you make sure we're in good working order?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM

Obviously change fluids if you are unaware of their history. check wheel bearings, and u-joints. Brakes? Probably a good idea to make sure those are in good working order.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 PM

Steering and alignment if there's any lift involved
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by niall
Obviously change fluids if you are unaware of their history. check wheel bearings, and u-joints. Brakes? Probably a good idea to make sure those are in good working order.
Ok. By all fluids you mean literally all of them?

Radiator flush
Brake fluid flush
Oil
front and rear diff
Transmission
Transfer case
Window fluid

Did I miss any?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 PM

Power steering ?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 PM

Well if you don't know any histroy, at the minimum,
-definately change the oil
-if it's a manual, do that and the transfer as well, if auto, drain and fill the pan wouldn't hurt
-top up the diffs if needed
-check and top the coolant
-top up brake fluid

It's a good idea to replace ALL of those on a vehicle you purchase, wether you want to do it all now or not, that's up to you.

Oh yea... and definately flush your window fluid.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It all depends on your mechanical skills .

If this was a well maintained vehicle you should be fine.What is the story has this been in storage the last 10 years or has it been driven as a daily driver.

Quite a few factors to figure into a call like this without even any pictures.

Is it possible to take this on a shake down trip or a you committed to your trip back home..

I would myself look at the hoses and belts check the fluids I can tell by the smell if they need changed.

Stuff does fail at the worst time.

I would hope you don`t need reminded and don`t take offense but remember to take your winter goodies along the ones you would (should) have in your vehicle any place even more so in the mountain west.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 AM

Ok, here is an update with more info, and what I know/think about the truck so far.

Its an 86 4x4 regular cab.The chassis has 225k, the engine has 127k. When the engine was added, they went through the CA cert so it's all official and what not. My guess is that cert is a pain, so why do it? Esp. If its a straight swap. My guess is it was a 22r, and they swapped it for a 22re. I think they would need the cert. for that.

The kid I got it from did not know too muck about it. He did say it was originally owned by his best friends dad. As it got older it was passed down to the son, then sold to the best friend of the son whom I bought it from.

It looks like at one time it was well taken care of. Then at some point the engine and other items were overlooked for "cooler" things like a radio, and shifter knobs.

It has a 4in sus lift (ifs) 33s, fiberglass all the way around, KnN air filter, 4.88 gearing, rear e locker, and a few other goodies (like a/c, and a sun roof).

So far I have:
Flushed all the brake fluid
Flushed the radiator
Cleaned, and re-oiled the air filter
Fixed turn signals to work properly

There are a handful of pics on my profile, but if there is something specific you'd like to see, let me know. I'll throw it up here. Thanks again for all the feedback!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd rent a truck/trailer.

You are asking for a disaster.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
It all depends on your mechanical skills .

If this was a well maintained vehicle you should be fine.What is the story has this been in storage the last 10 years or has it been driven as a daily driver.

Quite a few factors to figure into a call like this without even any pictures.

Is it possible to take this on a shake down trip or a you committed to your trip back home..

I would myself look at the hoses and belts check the fluids I can tell by the smell if they need changed.

Stuff does fail at the worst time.

I would hope you don`t need reminded and don`t take offense but remember to take your winter goodies along the ones you would (should) have in your vehicle any place even more so in the mountain west.
My mech. skills are ok I think. I am still a noob though. I have one of those Hayes manuals. That is helpful for a handful of things.

As far as I know, it was a dd, but by someone that did not care too much about how it ran.

I am committed to our trip back to Loveland, CO. We are leaving so cal (riverside) this Friday. However, we will be stopping in the phx area Friday evening, and leaving phx area really early on Monday. So that will give us a bit of a shakedown. I'll also have my fam following me in our accord, so if something does happens ill have a ride.

Belts look good. All fluids will be flushed, or topped off.

No offense at all. Thanks for looking out. In both our vehicles we have chains, shovels, and survival gear.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ATM Card and a Smart phone.
You can traverse the planet.

Go for it...watch gauges. Stop and check oil often.

Nothing like making it home in a Yota.

Have an issue...post up.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 AM

The timing belt is a must replace (i think). if broken it could really damage your engine.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I'd rent a truck/trailer.

You are asking for a disaster.

:wabbit2:
I really appreciate your honesty. Really. I though about a trailer, but didn't have the funds for it.

I know there is a lot that could go wrong here, but what is it you would be most concerned about?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt. Red Beard
I really appreciate your honesty. Really. I though about a trailer, but didn't have the funds for it.

I know there is a lot that could go wrong here, but what is it you would be most concerned about?

Ever seen "The Hitcher"? lol.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by HighLux

Ever seen "The Hitcher"? lol.
Wow. Nope never seen it, but I looked it up on IMDB though. Note to self, don't pick up any hitch hikers...
Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I'd drive it Red Beard, even if it does break down, that's kind of part of the adventure. Leave yourself plenty of time and you'll be fine. I bought an 83 off ebay, seller had good feedback, I asked him some questions and flew to California, drove it all the way to FL.

I'd be concerned about the brakes, I'd give them a good test before getting on any major roadways, and Colorado is pretty steep!. I took the 83 to JiffyLube right after I got it from the guy and had the oil changed and the fluid in all the cases changed. I sweated going thru northern Nevada and later Kansas because there were some long stretches between gas stations.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
I'd drive it Red Beard, even if it does break down, that's kind of part of the adventure. Leave yourself plenty of time and you'll be fine. I bought an 83 off ebay, seller had good feedback, I asked him some questions and flew to California, drove it all the way to FL.

I'd be concerned about the brakes, I'd give them a good test before getting on any major roadways, and Colorado is pretty steep!. I took the 83 to JiffyLube right after I got it from the guy and had the oil changed and the fluid in all the cases changed. I sweated going thru northern Nevada and later Kansas because there were some long stretches between gas stations.
Thanks man. Yeah it's not a matter of if I am going or not. I am. It's a matter of figuring out what I can do now to give myself the best chances.

Gas is a valid concern. I was planning on picking up a can. Any recommendations? I was thinking about the plastic jerry ones
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 AM

I didn't see the fuel filter mentioned. Run the crap out of the heater before you leave. Most of the trucks this age will have a bad heater core. Replace the belts if they are aged. Cheap insurance. Someone else mentioned the brakes but I would lock them up at a decent speed in a safe location and see what happens. Buy some extra fuses. Put a meter on your battery while the truck is running to make sure the alternator is working. Should see 13.5v.

Last edited by 1%_Spawn; 01-22-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 AM

Sounds like you're on the right track with changing the fluids, a visual inspection, and a short leg segment on your trip. Throw some basics in the truck like tools, fluids, fuses, hoses and then have a fun drive home.

For more peace of mind see if your insurance offers a tow plan / roadside plan or get something like AAA. I don't use my AAA often, but with the premier plan they'll tow me 100 miles to home or a shop of my choice.

Last edited by Cmayer; 01-22-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 AM

I don't see it mentioned, so I'll add that you might stop by Autozone and get your battery tested, or at least check to see if it has a date written on it to estimate how old it is. Much beyond 5 years and you're asking for trouble.

I was going to add that you should consider taking the southerly route through Arizona and Santa Fe, but it sounds like you are doing that already. I just moved my wife from Denver to Orange County and that was the route we took to avoid snowy mountain passes.

If you are taking that route, then I highly recommend the sidetrip through the Oak Creek Canyon between Sedona and Flagstaff and I also highly recommend the Lumberyard Brewery in Flagstaff for their brews and food.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with these trucks or how long you have been reading the board, but keep an eye on your engine coolant thermometer if you have one. You may also want to have a gallon or two of premixed coolant along with you. I cannot count the number of threads I've read about both the 22RE and the 3.0 that start out, "I let my engine overheat, and now it has exploded..."

Quick Reply: Purchased in CA, need to make it to CO